Images
    Country
    Singapore

low light

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i do not have planted tanks. thus i often find myself taking fish pictures under very low light situations. Some as low as a 18W FL light for a 4x2x1.5 tank.

thus it can be very challenging at times.
    here are some pointers i hope can be useful for anyone

(i) the light condition is so low. a small apeture opening is not possible. Thus the area in focus is very narrow. Focus on the eye of the fish. they make the face. even if you have some other parts that are not in focus, the picture will come out fine.

(ii) move and move: you will find yourself using rather low shutter speed..even as low as 1/30. A lot of times, you need to "pan". Move the camera with the fish. again, keep the eye of the fish in focus. Let the rest of the body follow. this takes a lot of practice. But assuming one uses digital, this is should be achievable by anyone. Anyway digital is about winning in Volumes .....

(iii) Flash : this had been much misunderstood. Many people feel that flash produce unnatural looking pictures. However, if used correctly, it will not be. THe pictures in the link ago are all taken using flash under Very low light conditions. (except the arowana)

master all these "techniques" and you can take fish pictures under any light condition.

link

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I must say that you have a wonderful pictures of your fishes. Maybe you can add your settings as well. Just a suggestion.

-FND->

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lsz, wonderful pictures. Do you use a tripod? Or do you just have a steady hand?

Thanks for the wonderful tips.

just to add on to point i) When we look at someone, we look at their eyes, thus if you focus on the eye of your subjects (be it fish or any being) you won't go wrong.

On point iii) I use to dislike flash too, because of its harsh effect, but later learn that light falls naturally from top to bottom. Integrated flash (that comes with the camera), fires a full frontal flash, as oppose to top down (like the sun), unnatural.

Digital although still has not fully caught up with film, allows newbies like me to shoot and practise. Heh easily said, I've yet to find time to practise these techniques that you gurus have shared.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Isz, you've some interesting shots. Especially Arowana shot. It really reflects the beauty of such fish. Your lightings give depth to the fish, and reflects the beautiful texture of it's body. Off camera flash shot from bottom? If so, it's a very good example of how flash can beautify any subject!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    feeblemind, don't worry. Photography takes time to learn and practise. I've great delight learning it for years, and still learning as a lifelong process.

Flash photography can be very unatural if you don't know how to control it. But if you understand how lights work on flash and get the idea, it can become one of the most creative and natural effects you'll ever realise in life.

Many times, we do not have the ideal lighting to take our subjects. Thus, the use of flash is extremely useful. It also helps to minimise handshake. In fact, most of my photographic assignment uses flash. Though my clients would tell me that I've a very simple equipment without those big strobes flash like the studio, the end results often make them surprised and very satisfied.

There're several lessons to learn about flash. Too long to write. Briefly, you can use flash to:
    1) light up foreground
    2) light up background
    3) light up both foreground and background
    5) manipulate both foreground and background exposure
    6) light up those shadow
    7) create depth to subject
    cast shadow for creative effects (eg. siluoette)

Don't worry, usually techniques in photography takes several months to learn well. It's not that difficult, just need more practice and experimentation. Many people I know of display proficiency in photographic skills after sometime.

However, to develop your creative mind eyes and personal style will take much longer, years instead, or sometimes never. Though technique is essential, it is the creative process that is most difficult in photography, and most people give up or stay at that level forever. However, if you can break that barrier, your world of vision will never be the same again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/17/2003 12:45:24 PM

..if you can break that barrier, your world of vision will never be the same again.
    ----------------
    Hi Seng Yong,

Well said! Ever since I got my camera, my "perspective" is no longer the same.

By the way, (I gather from the earlier post) you're a professional photographer? Any insights/comments on an effective studio light setup for aquatic photography?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FND, first of all, the pictures are taken a year ago and i do not remember the settings! and in the first place, it is not very practical to ask about settings because light conditions vary so much between different tanks! It is more important to understand principles than to duplicate technicalities….sorry I am not able to answer your question.

Basically, the apeture was wide open (i used a fuji602, so it was 2.. ISO was at 400. All pictures except the arowana was taken with external flash, shoe mounted (that means on the camera) . the flash was pointed up and bounced off a white cardboard which i held above the flash..

feeble, the pictures were taken handheld

naturetan, the arowana picture was actually taken with just the tank light. No spots, no boxes, no umbrellas, no flash.

Since there is a little photography talk going on, i will just air my thoughts too..

people take photos for different reasons. so about "The eye" and what makes a "good picture" ..well..there is nothing to comment. I have friend who shoot for a living but often they are not taking the pictures they really want.

About digital, i find that image quality is so much more than just resolution and megapixels. One the that digital still lack is the broad dynamic range that film can offer. ANd besides, film images have a look and feel to it , that digitals cannot imitate.

I went back to film and currently i use an Fm3a. i use it with some fantastic old manual lenses, some as old as 20 years old. Photography is never a complicated process. Newer offerings are full of bells and whistles that supposedly help to take "better pictures". I find this far from true. TO myself at least, it is a great distraction. It is refreshing to get back to the basics and let myself take control instead of pressing buttons all the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Isz, I agree about "back to basics". FM3A is a wonderful body. I nearly sell away my FM2 to get FM3A, if not for economic reason...[] Though I've another more sophisticated body, when I took photography for my nature assignments which are mostly closeup and landscape, most of the time I would switch to fully manual control. I like the full control to create the effects I pre-visualised. Only when it's fast shots of portait animals/birds that move too fast in the wilderness, then I would switch to Automatic control at times and wait long for the right moment to snap.

Benny, I do freelancing as a digital graphic designer and photographer. Use to take more assignment as a wedding/portraiture photographer, but now reduce those work and pick more assignment for corporate graphic arts and design for the digital media.

In fact, I started as an engineer working in a well paid company >10yrs ago. Since when I started photography under the tutorship of Asia top photographer in Portraiture, then later another tutor in Nature Photography, which I'm so fortunate to learn their creative process. I grew very passionate about it and decide creative arts and design is my area to go. Since then, I've been exploring a lot to learn more about arts and design that constantly bring fresh perspective to my photographic vision. Most people find it strange that I give up my good engineering job to pursue my passion.[]

For light setup for aquatic photography, can't really tell you much. Usually I would assessed the available lighting conditions of the tank, any undesirable dark spots cast by the lights, what subject, and what results I'm trying to achieve before I can decide what technique and equipment to use. But I've yet to explore very extensively on that, as I've just a 2ft planted tank. Guess you guys have explore more to offer better advice than me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lin Shaozhang
    Your pictures are very inspiring. Make want to take our my F4 again. It has been "cold storged" for years.

How do use flash for underwater world when the glass will reflect back the flash when it fires??? I am always afraid to use flash in with glass tank.

Appreciate if you can share your knowledge.

B C Tee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Big Eyes,
    I used a manual flash (GN30) for the underwater world pictures.
    the head was tilted 70 degrees up and i used a bounce card with it. it was in manual mode, full power.
    the lens was almost pressing again the glass. thats why no reflection of the flash.
    had to focus manually. even manual focusing is a problem. just very very dim.
    i used a reasonable apeture opening to compensate for focusing errors (f8 or f11 i think) .

those pictures were taken with a digital. And i had to trial and error a couple of time before i could get the correct shutter speed. (the camera's meter will give you its own reading, and at such a close range, dont expect the flash to know what to do too....so i will say it will be super guesswork if you use a film camera. very risky) .

this is where i appreciate a digital camera !

Nature, the fm3a is indeed a great body. One big reason i got it is because i can get it brand new. So it is the best of new and old. i am using a series of AIS lenses with it... my pet lens is the 180mm/f2.8 ED. it is stunning.

I love taking people, both street and potraiture.
    THere is a very good website, locally owned, where you can visit too.
    it is of good standard. the website has a strong "culture" of people photography, and studio works. A few local professional photographers are running the site. i recommend you drop by and have a look
    LINK