Country
    Australia

YAMATOs - Amazing!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Just purchased some yamatos from Petmart yesterday, was very very tickled by what happened when i tried to scoup them out from the bag with a net.

Instead of jumping around like all shrimps and fishes do, these buggers actually had the nerve to walk on the net, waling OUT of the net and clinging on the outterside of the net. Don't they need water to survive? I mean they were acting like they were in the water! Geezus..
    All Men Die . . . . Few Actually Live.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Its common...I have seen it myself..LOL. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some which jumped out of my tanks, crawl to the bathroom in the master bedroom and still alive[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Holy Sh*t! U serious? Man oh man.. these guys are amazing!! Freaky!!

Anymore wierd stories? Maybe i should rename this thread "Your Wierdest Yamato Stories"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of my yamata shrimp jumped out and sticked onto light tube. When I checked after a few day, the shrimp has became as roasted shrimp already.
    BTW, anyone can advise on how to keep yamoto shrimp. My Shrimp die easily. When they die, they become red in colour, like throw inside boiling water.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    They die easily? I suspect there is something wrong with your water parameters. Perhaps, you could find out your pH, KH, NO3, temperature of water etc of your tank?

Cooked shrimps are normally due to high nitrate level but I can't be 100% sure. Anyhow, what is your bioload?
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it is a 2 ft planted tank. Using a internal castister filter. Only got one SAE and two zebra dianos inside. The rest is 10 yamato shrimps.
    Ever encountered one time when almost all the yamota shrimps die think due to CO2 overdose. That time I am using Carbo Plus to generate co2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yamatos tend to be very sensitive - considering yr low bioload, i suspect the temperature to be the main culprit - when mine was above 28 degrees, all the yamatoes died...they turned pink...
    also, I once killed all my yamatoes when the CO2 was at 3bps - way too high - they stayed in one corner near the surface and eventually all died...
    there was another incidence where they just swim halfway and collapsed - witness it myself - think my tank's water parameters were not ideal - initial stages of cycling.

well, if there are more ways to kill yamatoes, think i have tried them all - have since learnt from my mistakes - have added a fan and have been doing regular water changes - 20% every 3/4 days - yamatoes are doing well and eating algae - have been trying this geo liquid now and found them good too... the yamnatoes seem to experience a new leash of life after i last added some geo liquid... think water parameters are very important - however, have since stopped using geoliquid - just took some to try try... guess after tank becomes more stable your yamatoes will survive better. good luck!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Wah swim halfway drop? That i gotta see.. not in my tank of course! How bout those brownish shrimps what are they called? I also head of mountain shrimps what are they?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try putting one on ur hand...they will crawl on ur hand like spiderman.tingling feeling also.hehe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    I'm gonna try that man! But how come they don't struggle outside of the water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i tink they have the same mechanism like those crayfish