Country
    Singapore

Help needed: Planning for a new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all
    Appreciate if you could spare some pointers to a newbie who is planning on a new tank

This tank will be a planted tank, but I will also be having some community tank fishes

Size: thinking of a 4X2X2 feet tank - any comments? should I get a 5 feet instead?

Lighting: Any recommendations?

Substrate: Apart from ADA, Any recommendation ?

Initial substrate laying ... any pointers?

Recommended foreground - HC or glosso-- any pointers?

Any common mistakes to avoid when setting up substrate..

of course all the above recommendations should not break the bank (too much) cheers
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help needed: Planning for a new tank

No experience with 5 feets but i do have experience in 4 feets and below. larger tanks should be easier to control in terms of nutrient concentration but lighting wise i not sure. The 4 feets i use normally only 1.5 feet high though.

Lighting wise, price wise go for aquazonic. quality, go for european brands, ostram etc lasted me over 4 years till now. aquazonic one gave me lose bulbs problem for awhile till i fixed it by tightening a few wires. go for 4 tube if going for high light.

Other than ADA, magic soil and GEX green pack not bad

Substrate laying , i tried 3 methods so far and works for me.
    method 1 ( my first try) : about 1-2cm soil u want to use, mixed with recommended amount of base fert on whatever you planning to use, i use JBl and laterite , then cover till about 5cm thick of the remaining soil(make sure the base fert is about as deep as the depth of the roots of the plant you planning to use, i standard use 5-7cm)

method 2( use regular river sand + aquasoil): mix the fert same way as the way you do in method one then cover with aquasoil

method 3 replace river gracel with fine volcanic rock about 5mm-1cm diameter

recommended start with glosso if you no experience. HC is quite hard if you no chiller and CO2.you may want to try tennallus or UG for more grassy effect

Common mistake , do not fill with water first. after covering base with the soil you want, then you fill with water, do not rush water in, let the water flow over a bag or something to reduce flow. messed up substrate means release large amount of fert into water already. If planning to put rock or big wood over the soil, do it before adding water. make sure the wood is already able to sink in water. you do not want the wood to suddenly float up after you fill water and cause the soil to mess up. Below parts you want to put rock/wood or anything other than rooted plants on, try to put less base fertiliser as it would most probably not be used much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help needed: Planning for a new tank

thanks for the heads up