Country
    Singapore

feeding corydoras in community tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have 2 corydoras sterbai which I kept with some white cloud minnows, cherry barbs and some shrimps. Recently I found one of the cory growing thinner and observed today that when it eats the flakes i feed it with, the flakes will be disposed off through its gills.... is this a common behaviour?

Any suggestion on how to feed corydoras effectively ina community tank? My cherry barbs are snatching all the food away before the corys can reach them... I am feeding them with frozen blood worms and flakes. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That is normal feeding behaviour for cories. Sometimes you even see bloodworms going in from the mouth and coming out from the gills!!! They seem to suck out the blood and even break up the bigger worms with this action of theirs.

To effectively feed cories, I usually sprinkle some floating food on the water surface. When the others are dashing for the food, I dispersed 2 to 3 big bloats of bloodworms so that some will definitely reach the bottom for the cories. The easier way is actually to get sinking food for cories loh [:] [:]
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    get those sinking algae tabs that is meant for cories... tabs for pleco also can... they sink fast to the floor and shrimps, Oto, or what ever bottom dweller will have a good meal.

I am also feeding my fishes with semi floating pellet... these pellets float a while then start sinking... so If I overdose abit more of these pellets, a substantial amount will sink to the floor where again the bottom dweller will have access to...

Or you can feed them with fresh vegetable... look in the web for more details. careful not to feed the wrong kind. Cories either don't eat (waste food and effort) or will get tummyaches

no need to worry too much, my Cories are from Ministry Of environment, they are here to clean up unfinish food.
    Baby Steel!