Thread: New creature found !

Feedback Score

New creature found !

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I saw and bought a new type of kit similar to those "Sea-Monkeys" at Yishun 618. But these are not "Sea-Monkeys" they are freshwater creatures called Triops (crusteceans I think) that hatch and grow up to 2"-3".

The kit is called Triassic Triops from the age of dinosaurs. Anyone bought it yet ? Any first hand infomation on their care and growth ? (besides the info found on their website www.triops.com.sg)

I have hatched mine and they are 2 days old, still quite small, can't wait to see how large they get.

Heard from friends they saw the same kits at Clementi 328.

Any other info please share.

Cheers !

Feedback Score
    How much does it cost?

Looks and sounds interesting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cute.. looks like miniature trilobites/horseshoe crabs.

hah.
    wonder whether they can survive in a tank.

Feedback Score
    I guess you can keep them in a community tank once they grow to adult size because when they first hatch they are very tiny looking like BBS brine shrimp naupii. Being so small will make them tasty snacks for your fish !

I bought my set for $29.90 but there are cheaper refills going at $12.90 available but without all the fancy accessories and box packaging.

Anyone got started hatching them do share your tips with me ok.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/18/2003 11:45:55 AM

I guess you can keep them in a community tank once they grow to adult size because when they first hatch they are very tiny looking like BBS brine shrimp naupii. Being so small will make them tasty snacks for your fish !

I bought my set for $29.90 but there are cheaper refills going at $12.90 available but without all the fancy accessories and box packaging.

Anyone got started hatching them do share your tips with me ok.
    ----------------
    From my undestanding I think it is not advisable to keep them in planted tank. According to the article, (link provided by Mrs Budak), Triops is known as the rice tadpole shrimp and is considered a pest species in several areas, particularly rice fields. It chew off the roots and leaves of seedling rice plants and subsequently destroy large crops. Also, their benthic digging activity muddy the water and decrease the amount of light available to the plants.

-FND->

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

… (link provided by Mrs Budak), …

----------------
    quite the contrary, the link was provided by budak but that he doesn't want mrs budak to know he has been sneaking in here…
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    I currently keep them in a small planted tank without other fish, I guess you maybe right, they seem to be digging quite a fair bit but I have noticed that they seem to leave the plants alone. Maybe they were properly fed thats why.

My 2 cents worth on the issue of rice pests. I have read somewhere that in Japan they are considered beneficial to rice farmers because they are considered biological control for weeds.

The conflicting statements are due to the fact rice is planted differently in Asia. Asian rice farmers plant rice seedlings in sheltered nurseries and when the seedlings grow to a certain size they are transplanted to the fields. The rice seedlings being larger are not affected by the Triops whereas the weeds become Triops fodder.

In America, rice is planted by seeding the fields hence the seedlings and weeds grow at the same time becoming fair food for the creatures.

Studies have also been conducted in America on use of Triops for mosquito control and it has shown triops to be 90% effective in reducing mosquito larvae. Conclusion of the study I am not aware off so I rather not comment...

I have just found a new website containing fairly comprehensive info on these interesting creature here http://filebox.vt.edu/users/channum/ , it is very detailed, so happy reading brothers !

Cheers !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    any pictures yet?

Feedback Score
    Can someone tell me how to post photos ?
    Can the text box accept cut and paste method ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have them as well too.
    They have a short live span. I spawn them using the killifish method
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    I managed to hatch them and they live to 2 months. Now I have harvested eggs from the first batch and have hatched my second generation. Rather interesting creatures, so tiny and can grow to 2" in such a short span of time.

Anyway can someone tell me how to post pictures ? Cut and paste method ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you must host the file on a web server or ftp server (eg: pbase.com)