Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Questions for new 4' planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all. I'm setting up a new 4'x1.5'x2'(height) planted tank. Wanted to get one with a 2' breadth but because of space constraints, have to settle for this. But nevertheless, it's still quite a big tank compared to my old 3'. I'm hoping to do things right so here i am.

Firstly, the substrate. I'm planning to get the ever so popular jbl base fert. I intend to add something extra with it. Was thinking of peat moss and laterite. Any major concerns for that? Any other suggestion on what to add?

I'm reusing the 2 canister filters from my previous tank. I was thinking whether it is possible to connect both the outputs of the filters together and thus only 1 rainbar in the tank. This is purely just to make hiding the rainbar easier. However, the inputs will still be individual, unless it's possible to connect them too? Not considering running them in series and only turning only 1 on as that would mean a miserable flow as both filters are rated at about the same flowrate. Again, any major concerns for that?

Lighting for the tank will most probably come in 2x150W MH hung from the ceiling. I'm still looking around for a suitable pendant from light shops. Saw sherchoo's MH lights and found them nice looking. Anyone else with MH bought from lighting shops? Hoping to see more before deciding which to get.

Think that's all for now. Thanks for your time.

oqs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oqs,

With regards to the base fert, I've tried using cocopeat with JBL fert (to lower the cost) and I find quite lacking. If you're looking for adding something, maybe you could try Ocean free's root monsters (loose form) or Bioplast's terraminarals. I've used both together with JBL Aquabasis and Aquatic compost and I find it very rather good combination especially for my fert hungry plants like my Echinodorus'.

As for the MH lights, along Kelantan Rd (or is it Kelantan lane) There are a few shops selling these lights. They caome in white or black. Ask around for the price.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was thinking of adding peat moss/cocopeat to lower the pH of the overall substrate, something like what the ADA Aquasoil does. Nutrients, i planned to be taken care of by the JBL Aquabasis and laterite. Heard many good things about Root Monster, you know where i can get them in loose form? Most shops carry the stick form.

Does the cocopeat stains the water like peat moss do?

Thanks for the info on the MH lights. I suppose they come by default a low K bulb and I will need to get a 6500+-K bulb like Iwasaki to replace? Any things to look out for like the connectors, ballasts, etc? I know the Iwasaki 6500K is the double-ended type, but among double-ended types, are there any other differences?

Anyway, your MH lights are one reason I want to go MH. They look really elegant above the tank. []
    Thanks.

oqs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I got my root monster from NA Nature Aquarium. Maybe you could give Chan a call to see if it's in stock.

You could try to ask the shop owner to supply the 6500K bulb and and maybe to handle the puley modifications too. If I'm not wrong the bulbs are a standard double ended ones. Confirm with the shop owner is best.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With regards to your filter question, I would rather use each filter by themselves and place outlets at both ends of the tank. Point them to give the tank good complete circulation.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.