Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Questions regarding Chiller, Cannister and external thermostat

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For most chiller are internal sensor and heat exchanger are protected from frozen.

Some modified aquarium used to cool down CPU running from 0C--

I found the external sensor modification mostly happened in Singapore only, maybe because of it's extreme hot and have non stop.

So, many of your guys don't have idea what the cold can do to the water, I mean in winter season.

Not only the flow water, even the fish can be frozen alive when they are swimming. The chiller can achieve -20C, so it's possible to ice the water after long time.

See below photo.

Frozen tap water

Fish froze alive

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lady Gaga, now you are mentioning about the cold weather. No way can a chiller be compared to the extreme cold weather. That is another topic altogether. Freezing weather will freeze water in the pipes to bursting point. The way you mention that we do not know what the cold can do, do you think we've been living in a well or something? Yes, our country is in a tropical climate but there are some of us working in temperature below zero degree celsius, do you know that? Do you think you are the only one that know what the cold can do to water? Everyone here owns a refrigerator with an attached freezer, surely we know a bit by now about what cold can do to water. Jeez Lady Gaga.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys,

i have juz setup my 2x1x1.5 tank using ehiem 2215 and Teco-TR5.
    The kick-in last for 20mins and the next kick-in is somewhere 2hrs later..
    Is this normal for this setup?
    still confused abt meeting the flowrate bcos mentioned by experts when the flowrate is increased too much then my tank will be like washing machine...!!

Hope someone could advise...
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Elements, that is a good timing operation for chiller. It is quite similar to mine and I am using a compressor chiller.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

your chiller is working fine.. how many deg did you set it at?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thxs BFG, at least not i know this is fine with my equipment setup.

But to understand further, i have set the chiller to chill @ 25degC, but as i read on some threads on the temperature setting vs the actual water temperature, i'm abit lost.
    The chiller displays show 25.5c and (ydy i bought one external thermometer, submerged and fix the measuring probe near the the filter inlet inside the tank) the external temp reads 27.5c..!!
    So can i say my set and actual is of 2c difference? and to have a 'real' water temp of 25c, i must further reduce the temp to 23c from the chiller setting?
    Some ppl here mentioned i shld take another external to measure the temp so to verify and validate again.
    Sound logic but can someone have similar experience shared some findings?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

your thermometer might be not accurate. If you can, borrow from some friends use more than 1 thermometer to be sure. Once you got the value, you can compensate your chiller to display the correct value.

not sure on your model but for Artica chiller if I remember correctly you need to press set for 10 second or something like that
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yes, press set for 10sec..it will prompt out the tol. for the setting(1.0)
    from the manual, it was advised not to change. Alrite, i think i will borrow a few thermometer to check and verify it.
    As i know both Artica and Teco chillers, the thermometer is build near the inlet so shld be a better option, unless modifying to have an external probe for read out but i dun think this is neccessary yet.

Thanks for all advise.
    Have a nice day.
    Tank still under cycling since 1st May...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by ladygaga View Post
    For most chiller are internal sensor and heat exchanger are protected from frozen.

Some modified aquarium used to cool down CPU running from 0C--

I found the external sensor modification mostly happened in Singapore only, maybe because of it's extreme hot and have non stop.

So, many of your guys don't have idea what the cold can do to the water, I mean in winter season.

Not only the flow water, even the fish can be frozen alive when they are swimming. The chiller can achieve -20C, so it's possible to ice the water after long time.

See below photo.

Frozen tap water

Fish froze alive
    Oh my god I have never seen frozen tap water and I had no idea that this is even possible. I already checked some chiller rentals and what I have already learned here is that it is important to bear several specifications in mind when choosing a chiller. I was not aware of the fact that a chiller can be too cold.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by melrocksit View Post
    Oh my god I have never seen frozen tap water and I had no idea that this is even possible. I already checked some chiller rentals and what I have already learned here is that it is important to bear several specifications in mind when choosing a chiller. I was not aware of the fact that a chiller can be too cold.
    The picture you are looking at are not caused by the chiller.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Which canister filter works good for a 2 ft planted tank? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Its true. Same thing happen if your flow is way too low on high HP chiller. The water around cooling coil may become ice.

Sorry.. I kept reading about "if the flowrate is too low". Given that most setups would involve inflow to filter canister, then its outflow is to inset of chiller, does that mean that the flowrate as mentioned in this topic refers to the flowrate of the filter canister? Sorry if i'm asking stupid questions cos i'm really new to all these setups and having problems absorbing them. If so, doesn't it make all the more important to ensure the flowrate of the filter and chiller be compatible? How should we go about ensuring it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The florate refer to either the filter or power pump that driving it. Each chiller model have their own flowrate spec mention on the manual
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123