Country
    Singapore

Digital SLR for below S$2000

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Seems like prices of digital SLR cameras are falling faster than ever!

Anyway, it's now possible to get a complete Canon 300D Digital SLR with lens kit for around S$1850 (excluding CF card). Previously, the Canon G5 was launched at S$1499 and that's less than a year ago. I suppose by Christmas, the "promotional package" will be even more attractive.

To think that 1 year ago, the (now VERY obsolete) Canon D60 camera body alone was retailing at S$3980, it's really amazing. The Canon D60 has since been replaced by the Canon 10D at a substantial reduction in recommended retail price (which was still almost S$1000 above the Canon 300D).

For those interested, here is a review of the new Canon 300D at www.dpreview.com

Here is the offical site for the Canon 300D

To see loupgarou's Corydoras loxozonus taken with the new 300D, click here

Apparently, there is a waiting list for this camera.

So the question for discussion is...

At the rate that the cameras/new features are introduced, coupled with the falling prices, does it make sense to wait?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the way it is going it'd be just like the PC. suggestion for the DSLR users, buy REALLY good lens, keep it, and upgrade the body every couple of years! []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But how good is Digital camera compare to Film type in term of resolution? Some sites said that digital cam can only matched film resolution when it is 20 Mega Pixels and I think it is still a few more year to go. For me, my A40, 2 MB camera is more than enough. At most of the time, I even need to downsize it to 640 x 480 pixel if publish on the web.

It is like buying PC: only buy when you really need it. SOme of my frds buy the lastest PC only to sufe net and type report which I think a P3 PC is aready sufficient.

At this moment, I will personally feels that just buy a cheap 3 mega pixel digital cam like canon A70 and only upgrade it to a high end 20MP digital cam in 3 to 4 years later.

above is just my personal opinion: no offend

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    end of day, depends on what you want.

btw: the system above is not really $1850, you need to get a CF card at least before you can shoot.
    so that's additional $200 for a 512mb. (you can expect that to drop as well).

------------------------------

however, considering that a G5 is $1299 nowadays..
    the price difference is only $700 for something with better resale value:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=28172
    http://reflecx.netfirms.com/cameraprices.html
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=38677

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    digital had reached a point where it can quite easily satisfy most hobbyist needs.

Unless you are saying that while a 6MP is more than enough for your current needs, you will NEED a 11MP 2 years from now...
    The question is, no doubt it will keep improving. But what is the REAL need for you to upgrade when "the time" comes? Do you need to print out your pictures to the size of mahjong paper all the time ?

you may just be happier by spending time taking more pictures rather than chasing equipment.

Is it a safe time now to invest in it? I will say yes.
    No doubt film body is cheaper, but film and development cost is high.
    If you compare by volume alone, you can easily make back with a digital within a year or so. Unless like said earlier a 6MP is not good enough for you.

And about picture quality, there is much more than resolution and megapixels. Judgeing a camera by MP alone is not accurate.

regarding film vs digital, at this point it is a matter of preference. I went back to film because i feel that digital sucks the life out of photography, and also the pictures do not have the kind of look i want. Fake, in short. Besides, i dislike the built quality of modern cameras and lenses. Even top end ones. But these are strictly personal.

i'm a die hard SLR user, but i do give in the fact that digital SLR does allow more room for "cheating"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/22/2003 10:41:08 PM

digital had reached a point where it can quite easily satisfy most hobbyist needs.

Unless you are saying that while a 6MP is more than enough for your current needs, you will NEED a 11MP 2 years from now...
    The question is, no doubt it will keep improving. But what is the REAL need for you to upgrade when "the time" comes? Do you need to print out your pictures to the size of mahjong paper all the time ?

you may just be happier by spending time taking more pictures rather than chasing equipment.

Is it a safe time now to invest in it? I will say yes.
    No doubt film body is cheaper, but film and development cost is high.
    If you compare by volume alone, you can easily make back with a digital within a year or so. Unless like said earlier a 6MP is not good enough for you.

And about picture quality, there is much more than resolution and megapixels. Judgeing a camera by MP alone is not accurate.

regarding film vs digital, at this point it is a matter of preference. I went back to film because i feel that digital sucks the life out of photography, and also the pictures do not have the kind of look i want. Fake, in short. Besides, i dislike the built quality of modern cameras and lenses. Even top end ones. But these are strictly personal.
    ----------------
    Digital photography have eroded the art of photography,it seems. But I supposed nothing beats people whom are equipment craze. In photography, the most important element is the photography, he who can capture the moment, equipment can help in certain extent but truthly in my humble view, if the photographer sucks, no matter what equipment he uses, the work produces suck too...

Just my two sens

BTW, I am going to get my EOS300D, if it proves its worth the next three month []
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro wynx, why the hurry? Just relax and read other's review before buying the lastest model. Most of the time, new camera or other electrical appliances come with bug on the initial batch. Allow some time for them to sort out the bug.

Personally, I agreed with why all the bros said, there is no point to judge the quality of your cam by MB. Most importantly is the lens and the user's technique. End image is always adjustable using Photo editing software.

Film cam is good but not for taking plants and fishes since fish do not stay stationary. Digital cam shine in this area since you can take thousand of photo and select the best one without development cost. However if publish on the web, my trusty 2MB cam is more than enough.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    EOS 300d newbie pics.

Kitty under my block

close up of a credit card receipt using canon 100mm macro lens (was testing it)

----------
    well, if you're waiting for bugs/problems, canon seldom does.
    furthermore, the 300d price will not likely drop to lower than $1700 for months (ie: canon prices are relatively stable.)

you will expect a price drop of higher end models when something like (300d) comes along, eg: 10d prices have fallen abit with the 300d's release.

10d prices will probably drop further (or 1Ds 's) with the relase of canon 3Ds (*rumored*)

but again, not expected by that much.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/22/2003 11:23:33 PM

Digital photography have eroded the art of photography,it seems.
    ----------------
    Really? Why you think so? How you define art in photography? Curious.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm still waiting for Minolta to release their DSLR. [] Till then... I'll stick by my SLR

-FND->

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/23/2003 2:00:58 PM

----------------
    On 9/22/2003 11:23:33 PM

Digital photography have eroded the art of photography,it seems.
    ----------------
    Really? Why you think so? How you define art in photography? Curious.
    ----------------
    Quite simply, back in the days of non digital camera, photographers tend to compose their shots before they snap. But nowadays, the lower cost of digital camera tend to have photographers snapping away without much though of compostion, etc. So in that sense, some art of photography is lost.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    So the question for discussion is...
    At the rate that the cameras/new features are introduced, coupled with the falling prices, does it make sense to wait?[/b]
    ----------------
    Answer to the above question - if this information is to be believed... why not! --> ClubSnap - Special Advisory from New York Institue of Photography

-FND->

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess whether it make sense to wait or not is quite individual. Some people buy cameras just like handphone, keep upgrading like rich man. Some buy because they're eager technological consumer. Some buy for the sake of feeling more "professional". Some would never buy because it's always getting cheaper and better. Etc....

So to me there's no definite answer. It's a matter of what an individual thinks when getting such gadgets. Well, if you are well-off, you're free to get what you want as long as you're happy.[] No issue with that.

For my case, I never treat my equipments as an important process in photographic art, though in certain aspect in terms of function flexibility and lens quality, yes, it is important. I always treat all equipments just like a tool. A brush or pen is a tool. A person whom own the best tools in the world like a brush might not make him become an successful artist and produce great art. Same in photography. They are all means to help us to express our inner vision.

If we understand this, you'll not feel upset, if so, about why we buy at the wrong time and price, etc. Our process of exploring such art become a joyful and open journey. This I've always raised out in photographic forums to encourage many to journey out into another creative process, not just the technical aspect of it.

Digital or Analog photography, all appeals to me. In fact, I'm a heavy slide film user. I always use slide for nature photography. I also love the look of the infra-red photography, if you've heard before. However, I also love digital. It's also another creative means that analog photos are not able to express.

The idea to me is not about who has the best equipments, or who can take the sharpest pictures of those fishes, flowers, etc. The idea is with those equipments, how do you design and communicate to the world your inner sense of beauty? How do you best express it through photography?

Analog photography offer me a very unique style of communication. Digital has another style by itself that analog is not able to do. It's the same as when I paint, deciding whether to use oil, watercolor, pastel painting, etc. All has it's individual and unique style of expressing it. It's no point saying watercolor painting is better then oil painting, or vice versa.

Knowing and understanding different media does give me a broader sense of perspective to communicate with the best art media choice. And to me, having a very open and curious mind will help me appreciate different forms of art, and explore many unknown that I enjoy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is not right or wrong.
    Make your opinions heard.
    They are only personal.

Some food for thought, regardless of if one takes digital or not:

Equipment Measurbators : as KenRockwell had put it, people who spend more time talking about cameras than taking real pictures. I alway thought it was Equipment Masturbators until i visited the website again. (my misinterpretation made more sense to me though)

Part of one of his articles. Of course there are some sweeping statements but many parts of it are true and observable in certain "photographic" forums. :

" ..........................Equipment Measurbator: Bottom Level 1 (equivalent to "Hell" in Christian mythology)

These men (and they are all men) have no interest in art or photography because they have no souls. Lacking souls they cannot express imagination or feeling, which is why their images, if they ever bother to make any, suck.

Most seem to come from technical avocations, like engineering, computers and sciences. These people worry so much about trying to put numerical ratings on things that they are completely oblivious to the fact that cameras or test charts have nothing to do with the spirit of an image. Because they worry so much about measuring camera performance we have dubbed them "Measurbators." Unfortunately, many of them wander into KenRockwell.com looking for information on camera performance.

Many of them also play with audio equipment, computers or automobiles. They enjoy these toys just like their cameras for their own sake, but rarely if ever actually use them for the intended purposes.

Younger ones play video games or engage in chat rooms and web surfing. Older ones join "camera" clubs. (You should join photography clubs, but never camera clubs or any clubs that try to score art, since art is entirely subjective and cannot be scored numerically.) Likewise, these people never create anything notable with any of this other gear either, but they sure get excited by just having, getting or talking to you about it.

The one type of gear these people ignore is the only type of gear that actually helps: lighting.

They are interested solely in equipment for its own sake. They will talk your ear off for hours if you let them, but as soon as you ask to see their portfolio their bravado scurries away, or they think you want to see their cameras or stocks.

Someone with a decent portfolio is not an equipment measurbator. Someone with more cameras than decent photos just may be. People with websites teeming with technical articles but few interesting photographs probably are.

Do not under any circumstances deal with these people, talk to them, read their websites or especially ask them for photography advice. To the innocent they seem like fonts of knowledge, however their sick, lifeless souls would love to drag you into their own personal Hells and have your spirit forever mired in worrying about how sharp your lens is. If you start worrying about this and you'll never photograph anything again except brick walls and test charts....................."

He mentioned about the "7 levels"
    Rest of the article is here if anyone is interested The Seven Levels of Photographers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/24/2003 6:06:35 AM

The idea to me is not about who has the best equipments, or who can take the sharpest pictures of those fishes, flowers, etc. The idea is with those equipments, how do you design and communicate to the world your inner sense of beauty? How do you best express it through photography?

----------------
    Well said.

The equipment is a means to an end. The essence of photography (aquatic or otherwise) is communication, not the race for equipment aquisition.

Till today, I still find joy in using a 1976 camera (almost 27 years old) that my dad gave me! It does not have auto-focus, E-TTL, Evaluative metering or automatic film advance. But it works.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had always had no sense of arts. My picture taking skills are taking maxed at taking normal group photos etc. Even had problem taking pictures of my fish tank despite many teaching attempts from some gurus here...

I bought an camera not long ago...
    1) I prefer an auto-focus (Point to shoot) digital camera (focus speed must be as fast as possible).
    2) I want it with some idiot proof functions (those ISO etc stuffs drive me out of my windows).
    3) I want a small and compact one, so I can bring it where ever I go
    4) There must be atleast above average picture quality.
    5) Budget should not exceed $900

Base on my preference, I bought my first DC, Casio QV-R4. Just love it, I brought it nearly every where I go....

Just one bad, I picked up diving recently and Casio don't do diving casing...

The point is set what you want and go for it, waiting for the price to drop will be like a forever wait. It might be slow, but price never stop falling over the next ten years.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Goondoo, Art is too subjective. I dont really believe in it myself (about what is a good picture) . THe more important thing is to take pictures for yourself to enjoy.

Yeah Benny continue to find joy in it!

for a 1976 camera, it is not a matter of whether it has evaluative metering or not because it does not even exist.
    seriously, what is that?

a camera just need a decent lens and an accurate shutter and center weighted meter to take great pictures. it is the case in 1976, it is the case now !

My camera does not have autofocus, it does not even have spot metering not to mention whatever else, i have to advance the film myslef, but i could get it brand new! Thats why i love it so much

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    interesting add on...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;amp;is=REG

how safe is it to macro shoot a shark? lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast