Singapore

Re: Why Horned Nerites are the best Algae cleaners

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
    They do mate...

So in this case, possible to figure out the sex of the snails?

Then, we can have snails of just 1 sex in our tanks and no more ugly eggs!
    That is what we call brokeback mountain

from what I know snails are hermaphrodites , so they can produce sperm and eggs, but they cant poke themself
    So snails do not hump on top of female
    they exchange fluids through a tube into each other, yes vice versa
    and then they lay their own eggs

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Did you ever wonder how they keep their cigarette lit under water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

For those having nerite dying issue, you will need to check the fish food, fertilser and algae control contents. They might contain chemical(e.g. copper) that will kill them.

For me, they are good cleaners as long as you pick the male.
    With the females, they will just lay eggs everywhere which is a sore to the eyes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hyun, snails are hermaphrodites , they self multiply
    i had proven this by having 1 pond snail with a ramshorn babies.. the pond snail still lay eggs and gave birth to so many babies pond snails

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    For those having nerite dying issue, you will need to check the fish food, fertilser and algae control contents. They might contain chemical(e.g. copper) that will kill them.

For me, they are good cleaners as long as you pick the male.
    With the females, they will just lay eggs everywhere which is a sore to the eyes.
    How do one identify the males? I had some and I cannot really tell. All I know is that I definitely have females thanks to all the white spots all over the tank

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    i had proven this by having 1 pond snail with a ramshorn babies.. the pond snail still lay eggs and gave birth to so many babies pond snails
    Not all snails marimo bro, nerites are gonochoristic if I'm not mistaken. They need to mate in order to reproduce. However, I'm not sure if mating is required for the females to lay eggs. They may still lay sterile unfertilized eggs in the absence of males?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

oic my bad .. at least nerites are 'normal' snails that dont poke themself ..lol
    Maybe females are bigger in size?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    Navanod is correct. Ramshorn and pond snails are hermaphrodites. Nerite snails are not.
    More than ONE fish = Fish
    More than ONE species of fish = Fishes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i finally found the answer to the white dots in my tank, eggs of Horned Nerites.

Thanks AQ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I probably have the answer why horn nerites die in our tanks over time. Probably this applies to those keeping crs who requires lower ph. THe lower ph actually corrodes and harms the nerite causing them death. If you were to leave the shell of the nerite in the tank with lower ph, over time the shell will disintegrate into nothing. Meaning its like splashing acid on a human but in a milder manner. Slow torture i guess.
    Mad about shrimps!
    Robin

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't see much eggs before.
    Does anyone have pictures ? Chances are i am noob to this lol.
    Maybe mixing up for other things.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    They need to mate to fertilise the eggs, but not sure if the female will leg eggs that are not fertilised.

So, the best solution is make sure you only have male snails. I guess we can assume that the snail on top is the male, since we have know no scientific methods.
    i have one horned nerite in my tank, laying eggs all over the place but they turned white and never hatch. So i'm assuming that's a female. So yes, the female will lay eggs that are not fertilised.

ahhian

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've this horned nerite that curled up in its shell and refused to move for an entire week.

I thought it was dead.

Then I changed my water today, and it started moving again! But 5 minutes ago when I checked, it was curled up again. Weird?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have some success and failures with nerites. They have to be kept at PH above 7 in order to be healthy, once your soil or whichever starts buffing down your ph below 7, the nerite will just stay in its shell till it dies. The bigger ones might sustain a little longer, but they'll die off after awhile. So check your ph before keeping them.

Its also best if your water has some calcium properties for it to grow a health shell. Also different nerites got different eating habits. Only observed 2 types, zebra and horned nerites, eating across my 3 panels full of GDA and brown diatoms in my sulawesi tank. Horned nerites eats in a sweeping pattern, tight zig zag tracks as it moves along, while zebras just plow through in a line all over the place. Haven't tried Tracked nerites thou.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If the eggs are layed and their not fertilized will they decompose and shoot up ammonia?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I have a horned nerite that's quite different, because it has outlasted all my other snails for almost a year already. I don't know if it's really very different from the other common yellow and black ones that you see, but its green and red. It's kept in pH 6.5 and the other snails were, sulawesi tylo orange, sulawesi tylo black with white spots, ramshorn normal, zebra nerite and yellow and black horned nerites.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Draka View Post
    Actually I have a horned nerite that's quite different, because it has outlasted all my other snails for almost a year already. I don't know if it's really very different from the other common yellow and black ones that you see, but its green and red. It's kept in pH 6.5 and the other snails were, sulawesi tylo orange, sulawesi tylo black with white spots, ramshorn normal, zebra nerite and yellow and black horned nerites.

Tylos at pH 6.5??? I assume they up lorry already. Its best you keep them above pH 7.5. If they're still alive, I'm sure every sulawesi keeper here will be interested in where you get them from. Ramshorn snails can be kept in acidic waters, no problem. Green and red... hmm. Maybe you want to post a picture of it? I only know Orange tracked nerites.. could it be an apple snail? But picture better, dont want to assume anything haha.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    They need to mate to fertilise the eggs, but not sure if the female will leg eggs that are not fertilised.
    I have a single horned nerite in my tank which lays eggs all over the place. The eggs turned white and never hatched. So yes, i presume it is a female that can lay unfertilised eggs.

ahhian

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jovel View Post
    I have some success and failures with nerites. They have to be kept at PH above 7 in order to be healthy, once your soil or whichever starts buffing down your ph below 7, the nerite will just stay in its shell till it dies. The bigger ones might sustain a little longer, but they'll die off after awhile. So check your ph before keeping them.

Its also best if your water has some calcium properties for it to grow a health shell. Also different nerites got different eating habits. Only observed 2 types, zebra and horned nerites, eating across my 3 panels full of GDA and brown diatoms in my sulawesi tank. Horned nerites eats in a sweeping pattern, tight zig zag tracks as it moves along, while zebras just plow through in a line all over the place. Haven't tried Tracked nerites thou.
    I have 4-5 types of snails in my tank. Normal Horned Nerites (with a yellow and black striped) shell, another 2 Horned Nerites (not sure what species, 1 is greenish yellow and the other is orangey-yellow, both have black specks on them), 1 Zebra Nerite and another Red Tracked Nerite. Love the dark reddish-black of the Tracked Nerite. No observations of eggs laid yet though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    I don't see much eggs before.
    Does anyone have pictures ? Chances are i am noob to this lol.
    Maybe mixing up for other things.
    hi felix,

here is a picture of infertile eggs of zebra nerite. apologise for the poor quality.

ahhian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ahhian.

Many thanks. I think I saw before last time. The ones currently must all be males then.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast