Images
    Country
    Singapore

What red fish to put?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My father keeps telling me that there are too few fishes in my 3ft tank.

I had around 30+ cardin. tetra with ten algae eating fishes.
    (Combination of oto, SAE)
    Not counting the prawns.

Hence, he suggested to me to add in more red fishes.

What are some of the red fishes available that can mix well with tetra.

Any suggestions.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Too many fish (especially if you add plenty at one shot) will mess up your tank's chemistry, and likely result in casualties. I think giving the fish you have (although I won't say your tank is overcrowded) the space to grow (cardinals can reach a nice 1.5 inches) will be much better than finding new fish to "fill" the space.

Actually, aren't cardinals red enough already? Is your dad trying to incorporate some "lucky" element in your tank or something???

Okay, your father says the tank has "too little" fish. Do you know the bio limit of your tank?

If you do, then you can tell your father whether it's really too little, or too many. Just because the tank looks empty doesn't mean it can support more fishes.

Maybe your tank is too bare. Why not try putting in more plants? Or if you already have, leave the plants alone until they grow nice and green? Since your father likes red things, can try planting some red plants, but make sure you keep up with the lighting and ferts.

If after all these, your father still insists that there's still too little fish, then I suggest buying those battery-operated plastic fishes. You can even choose the colours!
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/22/2003 4:20:17 PM

My father keeps telling me that there are too few fishes in my 3ft tank.

I had around 30+ cardin. tetra with ten algae eating fishes.
    (Combination of oto, SAE)
    Not counting the prawns.

Hence, he suggested to me to add in more red fishes.

What are some of the red fishes available that can mix well with tetra.

Any suggestions.

Thks.
    ----------------
    Dude,

If it is your tank. Don't let your father or family dictate what fishes you should have in your tank.Well, kiss your planted tank good bye if your dad decided to add a kok tau aka Luohan into your tank.

Red Fishes,mmh...Maybe because your tank is too bare and leading your dad to think that red fishes will add highlight to your tank...

Post your tank's pixs online
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If low bioload, can consider adding some cherry barbs, very red, especially the males!!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did your dad mean too little fish or too boring? Adding in fish is not always a good solution. But since it's a 3ft tank, I'm guessing adding a few more fishes will not be a problem.

Back to your question, what is your budget like? For more extravagant choice, you can add in Red Coral Pencil fish which I think looks great. But bare in mind that it's quite pricy.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    concur with jhseah..... cherry barbs will probably be the best option for red fish...... they are small, cheap and the red colour is unbeatable.

When you buy them in the LFS, their colour will be very faded.... try to get an equal number of males vs females (maybe 5x5 for your tank) - the males are slightly redder with less obvious horizontal striping in the LFS)..... if your water condition is good and you feed them well, after a week, the intense red colours will come up as the males spar and seek the female's attention.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggest bleeding heart tetra. They are red, of course, add a little variation to the shapes and wont mess up the harmony of your tank. Half a dozen of them will look wonderful.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Swordtails and platies are red ... and very cheap.
    And they are living surface skimmers, no need to worry about the surface scum any more.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with Juggler. Red platies will do. Cherry bard can be quite fierce and as for platies they are just 'hungry' all the time. Quite sutible for old fashioned people where everything must got red. Soon you will get lots of platies as they breed easily.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How about this?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why do some people maintain that cherry barbs are fierce???? Bugger me, but I find their supposed ferocity (more lively playfulness than aggression) is more smoke than fire. The males like to display and spar with each other, so keeping at least 3-4 males (plus some females) together will help keep their attention towards each other. Besides, at just 1.5 inches, how much damage can they do, considering that they, unlike cardinal tetras, lack teeth in their jaws? They will not be capable of bothering any tetra, otto or shrimp.

Bugger me again..... sorry for that, but i have a soft spot for Puntius titteya....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    interesting when my dad comes to my place he also say the same thing about my 2ft tank.

he want me to take back 2 small discu from his place (these 2 somehow can't grow any bigger) and put in my tank. I insist no no until my tank is more stable.

Juggler is right, swordtail and platy are nice. they are live breeders so you might have babies fishes pretty soon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep cherry barbs too. Fierce is definitely not a word I would use to describe them.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My Cherry barb is very greedy and gobble up the food flakes real fast. Moreover, it seems to get hungry real quick and often search for shrimps and peck at them, injuring them and feed on them after they died eventually. I got a number of shrimp casualties from it until I remove it from my main tank!

But I musrt agree that is's a very nice, red and sparking fish! Very active too! Definitely a fine addition to the tank.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    I have 4 cherry bards in my tank. 2 males and 2 females.

They are in fact vert peaceful and will not bother the other fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also had a bad experience with cherry barb.

In the past, i used to had a 1.5ft tank with a few cherry barbs. In the end, they attack my shrimps. Angry with them, i gave them up to my friend.

The same thing happened to my friend as well. I think he got rid of the cherry barbs somehow.

I think cherry barbs are like human. Some naughty while some nice. It depends on which batch we got.

About platey and swordtail, i think my tank is a bit too acidic for them.
    My KH is about 2.5 and my PH is 6.6. Heard that they do better in a PH of 7++.

I think i will adopt budak's suggestion that is to grow more plants. My tank is still quite empty.

Thks for all the suggestions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Budak,
    You can have my Cherry barb for free but for the time and money spent on the transport, you can get plenty from any LFS.

If there is an opportunity, I can pass it to you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    wild harlequin rasbora or espei also not bad.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Being a huge fan of harlequin rasboras, I highly recomend you to consider them, though they may seem more orangish than reddish. But a piece of advice, in order to get nice colored ones, source for them patiently, make sure the ones you get already have nice color tones. My dad and I search many lfs over a period of time b4 getting ours.

Feed them male drones(or any insects) when you can, it's a visual treat when they feed on them. Try it! =)

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast