Thread: White long poo coming out from clown

Feedback Score

White long poo coming out from clown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello, my first post -_-

My two clowns have been passing out white thin long poos these few days. They also have not been eating despite feeding them, and they don't swim around much.

My tank is rather new (less than a week). Are the white stuff worms? What can I do about it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi and welcome to AQ.

Are you talking about circus clowns (land dweller in a big tent), clown loachs (freshwater), clown killifishes (freshwater), clownfishes (marine) or clown wrasses (marine)?

If it is the 1st one, ask that guy to visit the doctor.

For the next two, observe them carefully. For all you know, it could just due to what they ate before you bought them, e.g. daphnia. They may be getting stressed out by the initial stages of tank cycling if your tank is not heavily planted. The effect of NH3/NH4 and NO2 varies from species to species. Read up on your fishes and the ways we cycle a freshwater tank.

For the last two, you really shouldn't be putting fishes into a marine tank so soon. The cycling process is very likely kill all your fishes. Try to get a friend with an established tank to keep them for you until your tank is ready.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    ! How long before the nitrogen cycle is complete? Those NO2 test kits are so darn expensive... I'm only a beginner.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    First things first - since you are posting in the medical forum, i will assume you are keeping freshwater fish (otherwise the marine section will be more suitable for your questions).

Second thing, before you do anything else, go get a good basic book on aquaria keeping (or borrow from the libraries). Aquarium Fish (by Ulrich Schliewen) in the Barron's Series is an excellent start. click

Good LFS like Plantas Aquaticas (76 Horne Rd) or PetMart should have this or other books. It's better spending this $$$ than on fish/equipment that you will regret later.

Next, try to identify your fish using the AQ gallery of fishes.

Generally, fish that are not feeding and moving much are sick - from pathogens or poor water conditions. What other fish/animals/plants do you have in your tank? If you added fish within a week of setting your tank, the water's not likely to be suitable.

The only recommended remedy (while you do some reading up) is to change 30-40% of the water with fresh water (plus anti-chlorine) every 2-3 days. This gets rid of excess ammonia/nitrites that harm the fish.

Apart from this, please provide as much information about your tank and setup so that proper diagnosis can be provided. But above all, read up before you go further.