Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to tell ifa nerite snail is dead?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to tell ifa nerite snail is dead?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    One of my snail has not been moving for a couple of days. It's still staying at the bottom of the tank, motionless. Is it hibernating or dead? If it's dead it will float to the top is it?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to tell ifa nerite snail is dead?

If the nerite snail is dead, don't think it will float...ways to check if its dead 1. you can move it to another location and give it a few more days, 2.give a little push to the trapdoor, if you feel resistance it should be alive, if dead, it's trapdoor will drop off. 3.You can also try to smell if it gives off a bad smell...that are what I'd did to check... Hope it's all well for your snail
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had one nerite stay in a spot for really long but it started moving after a few days On the other hand i had one start burrowing the moment i placed it in and i've never seen it again - the snails all look unique so i can tell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

if it's dead, the inside will not longer be there after a few days. You can see the dark colored rings losing their colors. That's what i saw from 2 out of 3 that i had. No idea why they died while the rest of the fishes are doing well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe they are like shrimps, die of no obvious reason. One sure symptoms of dead or dying snail is the pungent. I picked up the snail by the shell with my fingers and my fingers had a bad smell already.