Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What is the most important factor that draws us to a LFS?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Location (Proximity and accessibilty to Public Transport/Carparks)

67 56.30%
  • Price of Livestocks

66 55.46%
  • Price of Products/Equipments

71 59.66%
  • Service Quality

48 40.34%
  • Knowledge of Shop Keeper

44 36.97%
  • Uniqueness (E.g. oddballs shop, rare plants shop, highend shrimps shop etc)

52 43.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do some LFS survive and some don't? What do we want to see in a good LFS?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why do some LFS survive and some don't? What do we want to see in a good LFS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I doubt so. There are no rent subsidies for aquatic shops available and rental costs in central districts are much higher than in the heartlands. Also, the market for aquarium livestock and products here is smaller than in HK, Taiwan or Japan.

Also, just want to add on a little analysis of the poll results. One of the main reasons (from vote results) why LFSs don't succeed is uniqueness. Then again, when LFSs bring in oddballs and rare fish, the prices are more expensive due to the higher costs of obtaining, shipping them here and the risk involved. And price then becomes a reason for those LFSs not succeeding because not many people are willing to pay. This is usually the case for great LFSs like Ecoculture.

I'd like to add another option to the poll -> The Singaporean mentality: Want good stuff, BUT not willing to pay... and then complain about it.
    Last edited by Emokidz; 19th Jun 2011 at 16:46.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why do some LFS survive and some don't? What do we want to see in a good LFS?

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    ...and price then becomes a reason for those LFSs not succeeding because not many people are willing to pay. This is usually the case for great LFSs like Ecoculture
    oh man... I've not heard that name mentioned in a long long time. When it was 'alive', that was one of my favorite hangout with all my kakis, from Eminent Plaza to Serangoon Road (when in Cichlids Forever) and later to Macpherson's Sera Centre!! The operator was more a hobbyist... but a lousy businessman... how to earn money liddat???
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup! Many still reminisce about this "holy grail" of wild betta shops in the Anabantoids thread, not really much mention around the forum as a whole though. Can still remember how great it was back then. Used to pop by after school (was in secondary school then), but couldn't afford to buy though.. pocket money didn't allow : (

Now that I'm more financially independant though, it's gone! >:O
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    oh man... I've not heard that name mentioned in a long long time. When it was 'alive', that was one of my favorite hangout with all my kakis, from Eminent Plaza to Serangoon Road (when in Cichlids Forever) and later to Macpherson's Sera Centre!! The operator was more a hobbyist... but a lousy businessman... how to earn money liddat???
    Wow guess I'm an even older fan, followed them when they were at the Roxy Square, haha the operator is a honest young man so maybe hobbyist tend to help hobbyist... But he's a great paluscapist (paludarium scapist)
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What do you guys think of a Fish Tank Gallery? A shop showcasing 3-4 tank setups and 1-2 tank of monster fish, targeting Mid-High end market? Do you think it will work? Target customers are expats living in the area as the shop should be located in town... office workers as the shop may have nano tanks, corporate clients as well as even tourists?
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
    What do you guys think of a Fish Tank Gallery? A shop showcasing 3-4 tank setups...
    Don't quite understand what you mean, Desmond. Are you thinking of highlighting different setups from LFS? Might work, if the intention is to focus on efforts of shop operators to spice up their retail tanks and give general hobbyists more ideas for setting up, then it's do-able but if it borders on promoting, then I think it's best to hear what the admins have to say first... yooohooo... Vincent, Simon...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No. Centralization will only increase volume by pulling more customer into the same area, eg trade streets in Hanoi selling nothing but product from that trade.
    As you yourself as correctly identified, it will increase price competition and reduce margins as customer get to do price comparison easily.

However, in the recent years, volume is static since the number of fish-keepers are fairly constant. No benefits to shop-keepers to stick into one area and suffer reduce margin.
    Example, Sim Lim Square computer parts shops has been dying since volume has fallen off.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Any business, unless running on a bottomless pit and supported by people who has too much money to burn, will not be a charitable organisation. That said, the few popular ex-LFS that were mentioned all have some common "business model", ie, the operator is too much of a hobbist. The shops' presence, when they were around, were a good thing for hobbists; we have somewhere to go after work and we meet to chat or sell our excesses. But seriously and not kidding ourselves.. how many hobbists are there in Singapore that consistently not mind paying premium for similar things that cost lesser in other LFS ?

To have a few display tanks will definitely means using up precious footprint for non money-generating venture. What is the payback for those investment? Do we really think many hobbists who are impressed with the tanks will fork out the money to buy from that shop that does the display, or will most people copy the idea and layout, and go somewhere else to buy after fishing out all the setup requirement?

Unless the mindset of the majority of the hobbists change and we decide to support (read: BUY from) the LFS that allows us to sit around, have a coffee and gather to chat, those "good" LFS of the past will forever exist only in our memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ok I sense the general feeling of the masses here I guess... the fish trade and aquarium industry in Singapore is already in the decline and may continue to drop further or its staying stagnant until another craze or trend comes into play, if not nothing much can be done and for those Hobbyist turn LFS owner or intend to turn LFS owner should consider twice or thrice...
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Unless the mindset of the majority of the hobbists change and we decide to support (read: BUY from) the LFS that allows us to sit around, have a coffee and gather to chat, those "good" LFS of the past will forever exist only in our memories.
    I think this is most likely the harsh reality. Sigh
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Nicky, a paradigm shift is unlikely hence "the good old days". It is uncertain what the future will hold for LFS (and other sectors as well) but I'm blessed to have those memories of a cosy LFS with many inspiring aqua-scapes, a small library and surfing off a Mac for more fishy info. They may not be the cheapest blokes in town but it was worth every d@mn penny!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

to me, healthy livestock is the most important, followed by competitive pricing

cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Usual mindset is, store that sells cheapest is "best". But people end up spending more just making a trip down to that LFS, when a nearby LFS where they live, has what they need, at a slightly higher price. Like dnsfpl, I too agree that healthy livestock is more important than cost.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

chance upon this old thread here. To me the most important traits of visiting an LFS is the quality of equipment and products they bring in and whether it has easy access to carpark. i go mainly seaview and C328. they have all the european and US items i need and rare fishes especially C328. Carpark is just on the doorstep as well. Been to Y934 aquastar after hearing so much about it. it was a huge disappointment. it was filled with cheap china equipment and nothing special on the livestock. what a waste to have so much shop space and ample parking.

For marine, coral farm at LCK is the way to go. HUGE HUGE place and so much livestock. all those that you cant find in small scale LFS, ample parking as well. if CF is reading this, please place some vending machine at your farm. in the middle of lim chu kang and i cant get any soda on a afternoon!

Actually qianhu retail concept is the way to go, ample parking, huge retail space, lots of livestock, nicely decorated, located in a quiet area so getting there without traffic jam and created more of a shopping experience rather than a shopping trip. BUT its prices is not in line with other retailers! i go there to see what new fish they have and ask C328 to order.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

At times, the quality of livestock at C328, especially their health, leaves much to be desired. However, in terms of equipment alone, C328 is the best in the western region. Still, it's closest rival Polyart, has stuff that C328 doesn't sell, so it's win-win for them.

I do agree with the comments on Aquastar. I used to drop by there during my NS days and needless to say, it was a letdown.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha, aquastar's rich Boss opens y934 as a hobby. I think that's what happens when you do not keep up with the current trend.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agree that aquastar, with the space that they have available.... could do more to enhance the shopping experience. But they still have a lot of customers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well they do sell a lot of things. Great for customers who couldn't care less about brand A or B or X. The last time I was there, I found a canister of dry food that had already expired.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I grew up with Lam Hong. I guess things change inevitably .......................................

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I remember Lam Hong too. It was the first LFS I saw live "boon" at.

And I still remember seeing Chocolate Gourami in one of the old school tanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast