Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What is the most important factor that draws us to a LFS?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Location (Proximity and accessibilty to Public Transport/Carparks)

67 56.30%
  • Price of Livestocks

66 55.46%
  • Price of Products/Equipments

71 59.66%
  • Service Quality

48 40.34%
  • Knowledge of Shop Keeper

44 36.97%
  • Uniqueness (E.g. oddballs shop, rare plants shop, highend shrimps shop etc)

52 43.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why do some LFS survive and some don't? What do we want to see in a good LFS?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why do some LFS survive and some don't? What do we want to see in a good LFS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Goldfish Bowls aren't suitable for any type of fish. There's no way for it to be 'back against the wall' like a typical tank nor is there any space to add a betta with live plants comfortably. Maybe keeping some ornamental snails or other dwarf shrimp would be better in such a small tank...

Really Jenson? Well that's honestly no surprise to me , considering that majority of fish shops in Singapore are all do not have the proper knowledge for fish care. Rearing/Selling aquatic fauna and flora for decades in a 'family business' dosen't mean that one knows the proper care and management for them unlike someone who may have half the experience but reads and employs the correct information and techniques in the aquatic hobby. However many fools choose to believe that age and experience means everything, which is total BS.

((Hey guys, have you wondered whether Elmo's goldfish is just one fish, or many replacements once one dies/grows? Here's a hint, the first one's a lie))

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why do some LFS survive and some don't? What do we want to see in a good LFS?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffith DreamWalker View Post
    Goldfish Bowls aren't suitable for any type of fish. There's no way for it to be 'back against the wall' like a typical tank nor is there any space to add a betta with live plants comfortably. Maybe keeping some ornamental snails or other dwarf shrimp would be better in such a small tank...

Really Jenson? Well that's honestly no surprise to me , considering that majority of fish shops in Singapore are all do not have the proper knowledge for fish care. Rearing/Selling aquatic fauna and flora for decades in a 'family business' dosen't mean that one knows the proper care and management for them unlike someone who may have half the experience but reads and employs the correct information and techniques in the aquatic hobby. However many fools choose to believe that age and experience means everything, which is total BS. ....
    Experience is bad, if one has been doing the wring things all the while
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

experiences are not necessary bad if it's the real experiences based on great track records. but no writing/talking without real experiences to back with. one can easily copy and paste people's experiences without even tried or applied on their fishes before (worse is when you realize they don't even keep those fishes or never keep one before, at all). experiences speak for themselves , but not how long you've been into this hobby for any particular fish variety. But still, all these doesn't mean everything. the one that never stop learning and sharing is the one that means at least something to the community of this hobby.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Experience is bad, if one has been doing the wring things all the while
    That should be: Experience is bad, if one has been doing the wrong things all the while.

The trick is to learn from the wrong experience. Yes, learning never stops.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What tetra and I are saying is that using the wrong information and methods for years and counting it as 'experience' is of no actual use to anyone. Reading and believing is possible if the person sharing the info has an offical track record and concrete proof on how to care for whatever creature you're interested in. Like everything else nowadays, anything can be falsified(like you said, copy 'n' paste). However, a decent aquarist with a year of experience will not match up with another decent aquarist with half a decade of experience. Sharing what you've learnt also depends on what community you're in. One can successfully admit that more than 70% of fish keepers in Singapore could honestly care less and have 'selective hearing' whenever someone tells them their mistake.

Just like I've seen a fish shop purposely covering the top of their betta containers-without any holes in said cover. The fish was already dead/dying but I did not tell the assistants working there as many think of people who bring their aquatic pets wellbeing into question are generally overexaggerating. Which is absolutely untrue. I attempted to tell them on other stuff before and they were saying things like," I know, I know." Then once I come by again expecting some change, everything's still the same. Algae on the walls, gravel and stuff, with planaria running amok. Let me tell you all, the planaria are all a good 1 inchers-I kid you not. Talk about 'sharing' when no one listens.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

from the wrong practices and without knowing why it is so. and when things go wrong not knowing why and being told the false information, then one believe it and faithfully follow the wrong remedies which doesn't help. the stories go on and on

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Griffith DreamWalker View Post
    What tetra and I are saying is that using the wrong information and methods for years and counting it as 'experience' is of no actual use to anyone. Reading and believing is possible if the person sharing the info has an offical track record and concrete proof on how to care for whatever creature you're interested in. Like everything else nowadays, anything can be falsified(like you said, copy 'n' paste). However, a decent aquarist with a year of experience will not match up with another decent aquarist with half a decade of experience. Sharing what you've learnt also depends on what community you're in. One can successfully admit that more than 70% of fish keepers in Singapore could honestly care less and have 'selective hearing' whenever someone tells them their mistake.

Just like I've seen a fish shop purposely covering the top of their betta containers-without any holes in said cover. The fish was already dead/dying but I did not tell the assistants working there as many think of people who bring their aquatic pets wellbeing into question are generally overexaggerating. Which is absolutely untrue. I attempted to tell them on other stuff before and they were saying things like," I know, I know." Then once I come by again expecting some change, everything's still the same. Algae on the walls, gravel and stuff, with planaria running amok. Let me tell you all, the planaria are all a good 1 inchers-I kid you not. Talk about 'sharing' when no one listens.
    understood. Maybe I comprehend them wrongly.My apologies. A lot of fish shops might not give a damn.

is it only singapore or across the SEA regions for their LFS too?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
    understood. Maybe I comprehend them wrongly. My apologies. A lot of fish shops might not give a damn.

is it only Singapore or across the SEA regions for their LFS too?

I suppose the LFS people have other priorities and considerations too, such as manpower constraints, profitability, for example.
    Being in a business which is generally unprofitable, especially the smaller outfits, I can understand their predicament.
    But the larger LFS generally do have better quality upkeep of their lifestock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
    understood. Maybe I comprehend them wrongly.My apologies. A lot of fish shops might not give a damn.

is it only singapore or across the SEA regions for their LFS too?

I cannot say for sure as I have never been to other countries for the purpose of checking out their shops though I once passed by a fish shop in Taiwan that was selling aquatic fauna in filthy conditions. Not sure about places like Malaysia or Indonesia, but I suspect that Japan's local fish shops keep their pets in good condition as Japanese pride themselves on cleanliness and presentation. (Not to mention that Japanese are famous for their pricey koi)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I suppose the LFS people have other priorities and considerations too, such as manpower constraints, profitability, for example.
    Being in a business which is generally unprofitable, especially the smaller outfits, I can understand their predicament.
    But the larger LFS generally do have better quality upkeep of their lifestock.
    In a sense, I guess that's true, but then again- even if one has so many constraints and problems, it does not give them a right to be dishonest or ignorant on the customers/fish. The fish are the ones that will pay for the shop owners' neglect and lies with their lives, not the sellers. Also, larger LFS may not have better stock all the time. There are some larger LFS who have branches but said branches are all neglected and have diseased and dying fishes in them. I know of one such LFS with dying and dull-coloured fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I think nowadays with the availability of on-line ordering, LFS need to be really on top on their knowledge and service. The biggest thing is really aquarium servicing and custom work. If you are an LFS that does not offer this, then you do not have much to compete with on-line stores. Other trends I have seen lately have been really upscale looking LFS catering to high-end aquariums and custom work with showrooms. I saw such an LFS in Dallas and it was amazing.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you have the web link to the LFS in Dallas?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345