Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Under gravel filter for planted

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anybody use UGF for their planted tank? I am think of using some sort of UGF to replace substrate heater. Any one have experience?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not recommended.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are alot of way to keep plant happy.

UGF is normally not recommended because the water flow within the gravel is too fast, thus, base fert will be depleted quickly; the water column will be become too rich in nutrients that may invite algae.

If you insist, do not place base fert. However, you cannot ask too much from such setup, you will be limited to easy plants and mostly slow growers. Low light is recommended. Use low powered power head (flow rate that cycle the water once every 2 hours) to drive the UGF. You can feed CO2 by placing the tubing in the UGF. You need fishes to provide the waste, that in turn, settle down in the gravel as fertiliser. Balance is important, limit the fish population and feeding. Add comprehensive water fertilizer like JBL ferropol once a week or at water change (once a week/fortnight).

Regards,

Freddy Chng
    www.killies.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    read that some people do well with reverse ugf with no base fert and fluorite .

ie: the liquid fert in water column gets transferred to the substrate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I read that plants roots don't like O2 so UGF is a no no? From most book, they recommend substrate heater.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally I never used UGF for planted tanks. Nor will recommend using it.

But I saw in some Taiwanese magazines (borrowed from Benny) that they used some sort of UGF for their planted tanks.

The UGF looks like some PVC pipes connected to a powerhead. They are laid first. Gravel is poured to cover it. Then they add a layer of base fert. Covered up by gravel again.

I wonder if anyone try this methods. Won't the gravel choke the UGF? Or the base fert get sucked into it and pump out into the water column?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's where I got my idea. The book say that the system will keep the substrate from blackening and also prevenet dead zone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dudes,

How does one connect the UGF to as powerhead? Can someone draw a pic or scan that magazine photo for us to take a look? Very interested as I also runa UGF in my tank and want to set it up into a low maintenance planted tank.

Thanks,

MetaSard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    UFG would definitely not fit into a low maintenance non-CO2 tank.

A low maintenance, non-CO2 tank would normally need a good thick layer of rich base fertilisers. A UFG will not fit in there.

BC