Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: URGENT! Methylene blue in planted

URGENT! Methylene blue in planted

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I had 16 discus juvs in my planted tank. Then, two died only three days apart. That time, I used salt, yellow powder and MQ-4. Now, there is this juv (super small only 2 cm) having problems. It has some white spots on the fins and has problem balncing. I have increased aeration, off CO2, did a 50% WC, add MQ-4 and methylene blue. I only added half the recommended dose. I wanted to remove all harmful bacteria and parasites. Cos, if I used a hospital tank, there might be unwanted organisms still thriving in my planted. Now, the leaves of my planted are dyed blue. Is it okay considering I have very hardy plants? Or should I use carbon to remove the MB away?

p.s. the plants I have are hygrophila plysperma, e. rose, saggitaria subulata, rotala indica, xmas moss, anubias nana.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May i suggest you stop adding ALL prophylactic chemicals to your tank altogether first. Also, how big is your tank and how long has it been setup - please give some information on your tank's history, maintenance and equipment. And care to share what is MQ-4?

By adding methylene blue, you have probably screwed up most of the bacteria in the tank (both the pathogens and those that are needed for the nitrogen cycle). If your fish are seriously ill, treat them ALL in a separate quarantine tank, while you put things right in the main planted tank. My own experience is that in a planted tank that is mature and stable, problems with fish diseases are virtually nil, even with newly-added fish sans quarantine (assuming you choose from healthy stock in LFS tanks without signs of disease).

Overcrowding, ammonia spikes, toxins/contaminants in the water, stress etc will also screw up the fish. Try to make sure that the tank environment is optimal before you put back or start again with finicky fish like discus.

That's all i can say for now, and I think the moderators may want to transfer your thread to the Medical or Fish sub-forum instead.

the tank is a 4 by1.5 by1.5half a year old. it used to be overcrowded. then, i removed the hundred plus tetras. at first, thought it was neon tetra disease. MQ-4 is a anti-parasite medication. use it to deworm discus. so, is methylene blue safe to use for just a few days?