United States

Re: Single gauge CO2 regulator vs dual gauge CO2 regulator w/solenoid

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by fongalv View Post
    Hi bettatail,

Thanks for the link! Sorry to be a pain, do you have any idea which size is the one thats required between the reg and tank? Couldn't figure it out!

BSP

CGA-320
    from the picture I guess only thing needs to be swapped is the nut.... but don't count on my words.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

@ bettatail:

Just to let you have a better idea of the "market" over here to aid you in your sales
    not trying to sell here.
    Actually I am one of the regular visitors of this website but never registered, and just saw this thread this afternoon and want to give some more info about the DIY co2 pressurized system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Arh, sorry for the misunderstanding, eitherways, its great to have a someone who knows more about these stuff join the forums. Reliable and up to date information about the differing standards are really rare.

BTW I did swap the nut but its loose, stem is narrower than nut, hence if an adapter could be found, that will be great!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bettatail, thanks for all the input. I start to wonder if the regulator with input and output gauge and solenoid that we usually get from LFS like the JBL if they are 2 stage regulator since there is only 1 main unit connecting to the tank and to the output. Any idea?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Hi bettatail,

Thanks for the link! Sorry to be a pain, do you have any idea which size is the one thats required between the reg and tank? Couldn't figure it out!

BSP

CGA-320
    found the answer, change the nut everything is good.

take out the nipple, then change the american standard thread nut with the British standard nut, screw the nipple back in the regulator, all set.

interchangeable co2 tank thread nut number:
    British BS341 No. 8
    European DIN 477 No. 6 and SN 219505 Type 7
    French NF E 29-650 Type C
    Australian AS2473 Type 30

http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/co2_info.htm

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    bettatail, thanks for all the input. I start to wonder if the regulator with input and output gauge and solenoid that we usually get from LFS like the JBL if they are 2 stage regulator since there is only 1 main unit connecting to the tank and to the output. Any idea?
    I think all co2 pressurized units you can get from fish stores are single stage(two or one gauges).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

BTW I did swap the nut but its loose, stem is narrower than nut, hence if an adapter could be found, that will be great!
    if the nut can hold the stem, I don't see anything wrong, just make sure the connection is tight, when you connect the unit to the CO2 tank.
    Do you use perma-seal on the co2 tank outlet? if not, use the nylon washer, just make sure it is tight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

single stage, two gauges

double stage, two gauges

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, using a temporary nylon washer until I find a perma-seal type for bsp tank.

I know that link and have been communicating with Alan(the author) and we have come to agree that it is not as simple as swapping the nut, and neither is the usage of npt-bsp sure proof, he mentioned something about the angle of threads. Eitherways, it will still require someone to tinker through trail and error to verify post reg.

For my situation, the stem/nipple is considerably smaller in diameter, and it isn't helping with the weight of the reg pulling it downwards at an angle. The last thing I want is a mars orbiter type of conversion error. I went for this setup because I wanted reliability and peace of mind, but right now this is the weakest link.

From my understanding dual stage regs usually have a big bulk behind the main knob while single stage ones are flat. Not so sure how a single stage reg can display both input (high)pressure as well as output (low)working pressure.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by bettatail View Post
    ?
    H+ ?
    O2 regulator are rated for corrosive gas service, co2 is never be a problem---CO2 is the inert gas for visually all industrial regulators serving other gases, that means co2 is ok for all of them.
    Sorry, I am wrong, the CO2 is pseudo-inert gas, need more research to find the answer here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Yup, using a temporary nylon washer until I find a perma-seal type for bsp tank.

I know that link and have been communicating with Alan(the author) and we have come to agree that it is not as simple as swapping the nut, and neither is the usage of npt-bsp sure proof, he mentioned something about the angle of threads. Eitherways, it will still require someone to tinker through trail and error to verify post reg.

For my situation, the stem/nipple is considerably smaller in diameter, and it isn't helping with the weight of the reg pulling it downwards at an angle. The last thing I want is a mars orbiter type of conversion error. I went for this setup because I wanted reliability and peace of mind, but right now this is the weakest link.

From my understanding dual stage regs usually have a big bulk behind the main knob while single stage ones are flat. Not so sure how a single stage reg can display both input (high)pressure as well as output (low)working pressure.
    interesting, now I am waiting for you to find the right solution.
    as the first one to taste the Tomato, can you please kindly show a picture of your rig to other members in this forum?.

add: how about a male NPT to female BSP adapter, and a new complete set of BSP nipple(stem) and nut?
    Last edited by bettatail; 30th May 2011 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Technically, we should be able to add the 2nd stage regulator to a single stage regulator right? I.E. connecting 2 single stage regulator together?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    Technically, we should be able to add the 2nd stage regulator to a single stage regulator right? I.E. connecting 2 single stage regulator together?
    that is a two single stage regulators...
    I think it is ok, setup like this should eliminate the EOTD problem as well(never seen anyone do that), but the second regulator must be a low pressure input regulator.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

time to hit the rack.
    Good night to myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bettatail View Post
    interesting, now I am waiting for you to find the right solution.
    as the first one to taste the Tomato, can you please kindly show a picture of your rig to other members in this forum?.

add: how about a male NPT to female BSP adapter, and a new complete set of BSP nipple(stem) and nut?
    Yes of course, but I intend to keep it as simple as possible with the least unnecessary components to minimise any opportunities for a leak. I will very much rather find the correct nut/stem, and if that fails, a cga-bsp adapter, and lastly consider the npt-bsp-bsp nipple/nut. It will probably cost me in the same order as well lol. Will appreciate if anyone can keep a lookout for me as well!

anyway, heres my behemoth

Note the lack of a solenoid simply because we can't use any one that we find locally since the thread types are different. Extreme difficulty in finding a NPT 240VAC one locally, even on ebay, so will probably have to get it straight from Burkert UK/US, which is another USD$70 before shipping. Considering that the solenoid is going to be be plugged into the same timer as the lights, didn't want to use a DC one since it will require an AC/DC adapter on my power strip which is full as it is.

Heres the portion where I'm concerned about, you can still see the considerable amount of space even after half a roll of plumbers tape, therefore the euro type nuts we have are not direct replacements(at least mine isn't).
    Thick rubber band is required to hold up the tank or it will topple over, more so when the tank empties itself.

As I mentioned, it should work if you have got the right parts lying around.Those we have are simply not direct drop in replacements and I suppose I got lucky that my new stem is actually smaller than my old nut, if it was bigger then it wouldn't even fit at all. Now I just need to get down to doing that leak test to see if everything goes well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, i am speechless... All the fine parts that I can only dream of...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It looks cool. But I think should have adaptor and a good power strip
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

This is the end product, main solenoid unit(mouse solenoid) is 6 way swagelok stainless steel metering valves, and clippard quick connectors
    Secondary solenoid unit is 9 way SMC AS1000 series needle valves(made in Japan)

This post body kit have been tested, full functional and leak free.
    This post body kit go to one of the advanced planted tank hobbyists, 20+ tanks, all planted.

SMC AS1000 series valves are tested also, works really well, precise control of bubble rate, and it has extra screw handle to lock the adjust handle in place.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,

What an interesting article! Thanks for sharing. I'm having a small problem here, I'm using a manual single stage pressure regulator, and having problem with the inconsistency of the output (bps). It will eventually come to a stop. i even disconnect the tube to check if it's because of the reactor. I read around that it's normal for this type of pressure regulator to have such problem (and i have no idea why they sell such stuff in the first place!) Then i found in some websites that the needle valve can be changed to a good one (that gives me hope to salvage this new piece of equipment).

Can someone enlighten me with some solution? The only option I have now is to get a new solenoid dual stage regulator.
    Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

there is a leak on your system, find it and fix it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast