Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Planning a rescape, how to improve a inert gravel only tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planning a rescape, how to improve a inert gravel only tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi I am currently using the common inert gravel around 2 to 3 mm size. I think is called quartz gravel. My tank is 3 ft by 1.5 ft and this gravel has given me a depth of 5 to 7 cm.

I have this gravel for last 15 years and it has been 7 months since my last major setup due to house moving. My plants seemed to be doing fine surviving on the mulm and diy CO2 and dosage of liquid ferts twice a week.

I planned to do a rescape and is planning to remove all fishes (neons, platys, mollies guppies, barbs and corydoras). I thought I might as well improve my gravel. But I really do not wish to waste by throwing this gravel away. It was purchased at 100 dollars last time. I bought a packet of JBL florapol which was recommended to be placed at the base of the substrate. I thought of just shifting my substrate around and mixing this JBL into the bottom.

Is this ok? Or is it better to get some soil like Gex to use as base? Then put my gravel at the top? Or does anyone got any better recommendation for me and products to use? I will have a mixture of plants including stem plants and foreground plants.

Thanks !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planning a rescape, how to improve a inert gravel only tank?

I would suggest Gex/ADA on the top. If you are into planted, i suggest ADA 2 as they have higher nutrients content. I heard from fellow aquascaper that quartz sand is actually bad for the plants and the share edges might cut the plant or roots.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, sound pretty true as it is rough and I believed the plants might be be injured when I plant them. Hmm putting soil on top of gravel seemed quite new to me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

One bad thing about adding soil on top of gravel will make your substrate too thick and unsightly. What i feel is either you carry on using the existing quartz, since you will be removing the quartz try to add in base ferts then add back you existing quartz then you are on your way to planting again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I thought of putting a layer of gex as bottom and mix the Jbl concentrated substrate in it and then put back the quartz gravel for the top. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would suggest to stick to either soil be it gex/ada or your gravel with base ferts. But after its your tank, you make the final decision!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi thanks for the advice!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by seanang168 View Post
    I thought of putting a layer of gex as bottom and mix the Jbl concentrated substrate in it and then put back the quartz gravel for the top. What do you think?
    If he goes for gex I think it will be only base fert and gex.

I'm using the cheaper black quartz, from my point of view. It's no good. Slower plant growth due to the fact quartz do not contain fert content.

But it's very lasting due to the mineral stone it is. Plus it won't powder after long time

P.s: it cut my finger, scratch my glass tank. Bad bad experience.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey! Another die hard lapis user here!

I got laughed at by Richard the Colorful Aquarium boss. 'Still got people use sand meh?' when I went looking for lapis sand and base fertilizer. Since you intend to tear down the tank, remove the top layer of sand to wash, say 1/3 of it. Mix base fertilizer with the remainder in the tank and seal it with the top layer of washed sand. I like to use Tetra Initial Sticks, they are in small pellet form, easy to mix with sand and relatively cheap. You can supplement it with JBL clay and FE balls or stuff like root monster, root stick, dennerele root tablets etc.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Hey! Another die hard lapis user here!

I got laughed at by Richard the Colorful Aquarium boss. 'Still got people use sand meh?' when I went looking for lapis sand and base fertilizer. Since you intend to tear down the tank, remove the top layer of sand to wash, say 1/3 of it. Mix base fertilizer with the remainder in the tank and seal it with the top layer of washed sand. I like to use Tetra Initial Sticks, they are in small pellet form, easy to mix with sand and relatively cheap. You can supplement it with JBL clay and FE balls or stuff like root monster, root stick, dennerele root tablets etc.
    Lapis + topsoil + rootmonster
    Using that combo now. Quite good

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys great to learn about what you are sharing...

As I've always want to to try the sand method, which I've no experience before....Anyway, I intended to set up a 1 ft cube tank, using base fertilizer + Rootmonster + Holland sand.

Foreground plants will be mainly UG or HC...

What u guys think?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am always a sand person. I leave my hardware untouched for years. The only thing I did is trimming and adding assorted fertilizer like JBL Ferrotabs, JBL Root fertiliser balls, Ferka Rosetta, Root monster, and Dennerle E15 over the years. Frankly, Ferka Rosetta in particular has gave me good result. And I find that E15 (now made in Asia) is less potent than last time(2000). This result came after I received some samples in Aquarama2009. Probably I expected more from Dennerle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi barmby where can get Ferka Rosetta and how much is it? if you think its uncomfortable to post here do pm me thanks!(:
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

actually I'm looking for those dry fert also... those cheapest type I tink is known as poor man's fert but I can't seem to find it so anyone has locations of where to buy?
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    I am always a sand person. I leave my hardware untouched for years. The only thing I did is trimming and adding assorted fertilizer like JBL Ferrotabs, JBL Root fertiliser balls, Ferka Rosetta, Root monster, and Dennerle E15 over the years. Frankly, Ferka Rosetta in particular has gave me good result. And I find that E15 (now made in Asia) is less potent than last time(2000). This result came after I received some samples in Aquarama2009. Probably I expected more from Dennerle.
    Any comments with JBL root fert balls vs rootmonster?

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok tell u guys wat, I may set up my 1 ft cube using the followings:-

1st time doing sand...hehehe

1. Base fertilizer - 1 cm to 2 cm thick powdered, organic fertilizer (no pathogen; safe)
    2. Maybe some top soil or corse sand blend with the base fertilizer, this time total 4 cm thick...
    3. Lapis sand....2 inches.

Plants are HC or UG, Glasso, and some others ( not yet decide)

I'll create a thread in the Aquascaping section, if it is done it

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Regarding your choice of base fertiliser, I would not use anything not formulated for use in aquariums. Using an organic fertiliser meant for land plants can have serious repercussions on your tank. I had some decent success using a layer of base fert and then fine sand over it. Some of my plants like tenellus, grew well in that substrate. Just need to rake the top layer of the sand every now and then. Have had great results with lapis too in the past.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think Ferka can buy from Nature Aquarium