Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Larger leaves with Ca & Mg

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    A week after dosing 5ppm of Ca and Mg, I noticed that the calsium deficiency symptom on my Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' has disappeared.

But to my surprise, I have also noticed the growth of large leaves. They used to grow to the largest 2" in length and now they are at least 2.5". This is the first time I have seen such large leaves in my tank.

Does Ca or Mg results in larger leave growth? Any expert advice?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It should not be too surprising if you know the use of calcium in plants. Calcum is used to build cell walls.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tay, go easy on the Mg if I were you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 9/30/2003 9:06:18 AM

Tay, go easy on the Mg if I were you.
    ----------------
    Geoffrey, could you enlighten me what's wrong with the Mg?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Remember we said before that there is this thing being discussed in AB by Roger Miller that plants has an affinity to K than Na, Na than Mg, and Mg than Ca. If their ratio are not right, you will have some problems.

As much as I want to refrain from using the phrase "element x inhibits the uptake of element y", I can't because I personally have problems with high K and Mg resulting in the Ca like deficiency in Hygrophilia and Lobelia. While this is my observation, there are others who are successful with high Mg and K dose. One possibility is they change water less regularly but that did not explain the high K. With that I am assuming that Mg is the culprit instead of K.

So what I did was maintain my high K at 30~36ppm/week, increase my Ca by 5ppm/week but reduce my Mg to nought. That solved my problem. It is only after I started to do fortnightly water change that I started to dose Mg again but this time very little, ~1ppm per fortnight. What I can't explain is why isn't the Ca from my coral chip enough.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 9/30/2003 1:11:38 PM

Remember we said before that there is this thing being discussed in AB by Roger Miller that plants has an affinity to K than Na, Na than Mg, and Mg than Ca. If their ratio are not right, you will have some problems.

As much as I want to refrain from using the phrase "element x inhibits the uptake of element y", I can't because I personally have problems with high K and Mg resulting in the Ca like deficiency in Hygrophilia and Lobelia. While this is my observation, there are others who are successful with high Mg and K dose. One possibility is they change water less regularly but that did not explain the high K. With that I am assuming that Mg is the culprit instead of K.

So what I did was maintain my high K at 30~36ppm/week, increase my Ca by 5ppm/week but reduce my Mg to nought. That solved my problem. It is only after I started to do fortnightly water change that I started to dose Mg again but this time very little, ~1ppm per fortnight. What I can't explain is why isn't the Ca from my coral chip enough.

----------------
    I used to dose K but still had K and Ca deficiency symptoms. So I suspected the lacking of Ca or Mg. Now both symptoms are gone. I have no idea about what proportion is correct. I change 50% water twice a week due to heavy bioload and dose 5ppm each of Ca and Mg and unknown amount of K (1/4 teaspoon of KSO4 in 15l water) after each water change.

Should I reduce Mg to 1ppm and see what will happen?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Patience. If it works now, stay with it. My post was only a word of caution. If you change your regime suddenly, it will confuse your troubleshooting and learning. In case the symptom shows again later, stop or lower Mg but continue with Ca.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Go with a ratio of 4:1 for Ca and mg dosing.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my experience, sometimes trimming and replanting of plants like H. polypersma, Valisneria, etc. will result in symptoms that looks like Ca deficiency even though I am sure that there are plenty of Ca in the water. I wonder if any of you have similar observations.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, what kind of plant that is the centre piece of the picture? Do you plant it in the middle ground of the tank?
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That plant is formerly known as Pelia endiviaefolia...... There is a thread about it somewhere below.... please refer to that if you want to discuss the plant... thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Commonly known as broad-leave riccia by some LFS. Floating plant so need to tie to something to make it submerse.