Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Weird illness!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    One of my newly bought White Clound Mountain Minnows have this strange sypntom: from the lower end of the body to the tail, there's this clear straight line of distinction of colour difference, ie, before the line colour is normal, after the line it's darker, somewhat like bruised. Swimming is irregular, somewhat similar to a person walking with a limp. Appetite also not good. Anyone has a clue what is going on? Crude illustration below. Sorry no digital camera.

normal darkenend
    <---------|----<
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very likely the fish is infected with columnaris, sometimes confusingly known as flexibacter. Very contagious disease. Acute columnaris will kill fishes in a matter of hours. The fish will seem to be infected with some kind of fin rot. Here is a picture of a Copella nattereri infected with acute columnaris. The vertical banding can clearly be seen. The finage is already severely damanged.

I would definitely remove the fish to be treated separately. Potassium permaganate treatment might help. BeFURAN is also known to be effective against columnaris.

Do a search on the web for more detailed information. Here's something to start you off.

DPH's article on columnaris

Good luck!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The fish is dead already. Sure took its toll fast. What you mentioned was ACUTE meaning it was already quite some time when such sypntoms appear? Does that mean high chance of other fishes getting it in my tank as well? The picture you linked is exactly what i was saying. Thanks.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No. Acute meaning that if a healthy fish is infected, it dies within hours of infection. You don't even have a chance to wait a day to get suitable medication from the LFS.

There is a very good write up on this aspect of the disease in TFH's Book of fish diseases. Seen it at some local bookshops. Go check it out.

You need to monitor your tank very closely now and take some preventive measures.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Having a sharp point or tip.
    2. Keenly perceptive or discerning: “a raw, chilling and psychologically acute novel of human passions reduced to their deadliest essence” (Literary Guild Magazine). See Synonyms at sharp.
    3. Reacting readily to stimuli or impressions; sensitive: His hearing was unusually acute.
    4. Of great importance or consequence; crucial: an acute lack of research funds.
    5. Extremely sharp or severe; intense: acute pain; acute relief.
    6. Medicine.
    a. Having a rapid onset and following a short but severe course: acute disease.
    b. Afflicted by a disease exhibiting a rapid onset followed by a short, severe course: acute patients.
    7. Music. High in pitch; shrill.
    8. Geometry. Having an acute angle: an acute triangle.

Source : dictionary.com
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My caca juz died a few days ago. I notcied tat before it died, the body of the fish seem to gradually change its color, form alittle pinkish to a dull color. When i spotted him in the tank, his gills were moving rapidly.
    When i took him out of the tank, he died in less than half an hour. 1 of my fav caca[]

Btw, no other symtoms or marks on its body. Juz the color change and 1 more thing, it was swimming abnormally.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally a color change on a certain portion of the body is quite indicative of columnaris. The only other exception will be the Neon Tetra disease which is more species specific. Besides the change in color, when the fish is affected quite badly, it will show any combination of the following:

1. Hang around the surface of the water or surface skimmer
    2. Rapid gill movements
    3. Droopy tail
    4. Whitish mouth or swollen mouth
    5. Rotting fins

However, if it's the whole body that changed color, it could be due to other problems. There's another disease where by fish seem to turn lighter in color and loses it natural color. Can't remember the name of this disease, but it's not really fatal.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think its called costia