Country
    Singapore

Please help ID this plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Can anyone help to ID this plant (next to the rock and not the tall spiky one in the background) and where I can find good healthy sample of it.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Please help ID this plant

Hi, I suppose these bright green plants are normally called 'star grass'. You can find them at C328 or NA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. I though no one really interested in this plant/glass. Seem like it is not a very popular plant to glow.

I have not seen one in 328 or maybe it is being sold as a different form. Let me go take a look again.

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Google and found the plant name and some info on it.

Heteranthera zosterifolia, often called stargrass, is a native of Brazil where it grows in still water and in marshy areas. This fragile, soft-leaved plant is now relatively common in the aquatic plant hobby.

H. zosterifolia is relatively easy to grow and an excellent indicator of aquarium conditions. Although it can be grown in lower light (down to 1.75 watts per gallon with power compact bulbs) and non-CO
    2 conditions, it really does show its full potential under high light and pressurized CO2 injection�with leaf size becoming larger and internode length shortening. Small, stunted growth under high light is usually the result of too lean nutrient conditions, as this is a very macronutrient hungry plant (NO3 of 10 ppm or more and PO4 of 1 ppm or more for exceptionally large, lush growth). It reacts to a sudden lack of nitrate by turning transparent and melting away. Phosphate deficiencies result in very dark green, compact plants. Iron and micronutrient deficiencies result in white creases or black edging on the leaves.

H. zosterifolia is a very maleable plant, responding well to pruning the tops off and leaving the rooted portions. With this treatment, stargrass produces a profusion of new side shoots which results in very dense, bushy growth. If allowed to grow along the surface, the plant often produces beautiful blue flowers.

This plant is popularly used in both Dutch and Nature Aquarium style layouts�and for good reason. It is often pruned short as a foreground plant, allowed to grow tall as a background plant, or pruned as a midground hedge or street. It is a highly recommended, aesthetically pleasing plant for the aquascape.

the acticle writes that "Iron and micronutrient deficiencies result in white creases or black edging on the leaves" which my plant is expriencing now. How do I increase iron and mirconutrient in my tank?

Can anyone help?