Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quarantine tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    1) What are the basic equipments needed other than the tank.

2) Do I need to add any medications for new fishes?

3) Typically how long to quarantine the fishes?
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Based on my unorthodox way of running a quarantine tank :

Airpump and airstone. No filter.
    No medication but the water is 'stained' to dark tea colour using ketapang leaves.
    3-5days.

Notes:
    - Acclimitize the new fishes slowly into the quarantine tank (over 1-2hrs).
    - Daily routine : I change 10-20% of the quarantine tank's water using water from the tank I'm intending to put the new fishes in (Tank A).
    - When I'm satisfied with the fishes' health, I will net them out and put them into Tank A when the lights are off.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I didn't thought of using the main tank's water. Thanks.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    An alternative views on the topic above :

1. Basic equipments depends a lot on the type of fish we are having. General guide line will be that tank water volume should be capable of handling the bio load. Good, simple and easy to use filter will be good.

2. No medications needed unless the fish has an obvious signs of fungus (or pending). I have always on routine of 0.3% to 0.5% salt with heater set to between 30c to 31c.

3. 2 weeks will be a good time frame (to me)... this will give me ample time to continue to observe for any other secondary tell tale sign of sickness.

Of course the above varies from time to time

Feedback Score
    Just wondering when u put fish into the quarantine tank, do u let the water from the LFS pour into the tank or u take the fishes by nets?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pour the whole content of the bag into the net, over a small pail. Then release the fish into the tank, minus the water from the bag. Use the pail instead of the kitchen sink. Reason being, some fish would jump over the net while you're pouring them into the net. Happened a few times to me. Never mix the water from lfs to your tank water. Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    How to disinfect the tank after u have treated a sick fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tank, easily maintained filter (in this case, a hang on top filter), which also aerates the water

not really, but I calibrate KH to 3, add some salt,sometimes I also use Pro Tec (active ingredients Sodium chloride, sodium thiosulphate (antichlorine), nitrofurazone, Disodium EDTA, Acriflavine, Propylene Gylcol and Methylene Blue)

7 days

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll use a small tank(I get small fishes) , sponge filter.

No i don't add any medications but i stain the water tea black with black water extract.

Normally 1week. If the fishes are still not fit to be in the tank, quarantine will continue to they are healthy enough to go in.

Changing the water every three days and rinse the sponge in tank's water every week or two. Will never use tank's water to refill the Q tank's water.

Change 100% of the Q tank's water once the fishes are put into the main tank. All done 15mins before lights off.

Do not feed fishes in the Q tank till the following next morning. Let them settle down before introducing any food to them.
    Cheers!

Benetay