Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Weeee..... I have annulatus again!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland

Re: Weeee..... I have annulatus again!!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Reading back through some of the recent posts regarding LIVE FOOD it seems as if there is a basic problem with the culture sysems used
    Firstly Mico-Worms are you Sure andy that you have a micro-worm culture ,, all fry WILL eat them only trouble is that a they are more or less cloourless they DO NOT look as if they have eaten them ,, I feed them to FULL GROWN ADULT SJO`s 120mm at least just to get them hunting and not lazy..

BBs see this link http://www.ohiokillifish.net/brine_shrimp.htm for how to do it easily . I use much the same system in fact I have a article published in the BKA killinews , how do you get tired hatching bbs and it`s something that all fishkeepers learn how to do .
    I run 4 hatchers to feed my fry , that`s all notho`s sjo`s and any others ( cory`s and dwarf cichlids ) .

Mike
    IF YOU CAN`T BREED THEM DON`T KEEP THEM

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I observed closely one time and noticed they were actually eating. Just not so obvious. I also use an inverted 'half of a bottle' for the hatching. Actually it is separating the the bbs from the shells that tires me. Because most of the time I end up with a lot of the bbs stuck on the hanky that I used for straining the excess water. But in the end I learned to let go of them and just discard them as there should be enough bbs collected for 2 days. Thanks for the tips bros. Now I am thinking of going back to the green soup. But how do you maintain the amount of infusorians in the green soup while keeping the frys in the same tank?
    Who needs a TV set when you have a planted tank full of killies? - Andy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by daguldfisher View Post
    But how do you maintain the amount of infusorians in the green soup while keeping the frys in the same tank?
    You don't. Most would culture micro foods and other live cultures separate from the fry raising container/tank. Keeping both together risk oxygen depletion for the fry and deteriorates the water.

Alternatively, do the 'dirty tank' method. Works for most tiny fry, including ANNs, Pseudomugil species and most lampeyes.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland

Firstly after you switch off the air supply allow the hatching solution to sit for 10 mins ,, this should allow the egg shells to float to the surface .If you are using the cone part of the bottle the BBS will have collected there ,, now if you aim the air-line into the net or whatever you use most of the BBS end there .

Remember not to overfeed .

PLEASE DO NOT CULTURE MICO FOOD WITH THE FRY BUT DO IT ELSEWHERE ...

Infusoria cultures have been explained in this thread ,, micro,, grindle and white worm cultures are just a step up in the food chain , should be info on the web on how to do them ,, usually just time to master how to do them easily . No shotcuts here just practice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post

Alternatively, do the 'dirty tank' method. Works for most tiny fry, including ANNs, Pseudomugil species and most lampeyes.
    Now Ronnie you are going to have to explain what that is ,, shall we just say a well matured tank with a layer of MULM on the bottom

Mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stoker View Post
    Now Ronnie you are going to have to explain what that is...
    eh Mike, you'd be the last person to need clarification as you know darn well what I meant

Perhaps I should rephrase 'dirty' with 'messy' or 'guest unfriendly'... but of course a well matured tank (filled with mulm, detritus, floaters, green water and loads of micro organisms. per posts #75 & 76) sounds much nicer!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland

Hi Ronnie

Sorry couldn`t resist that

Thought that was what a fry tank should look like most of mine do but it`s not easy to find the little sods .

Take care Mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Heh Mike, you know I was jesting with 'ya and frankly, so long as I know the fry are doing ok and growing, I really don't mind not being able to find them. My eyesight ain't what it used to be and I'd be a happy camper to scoop out 'big sods' and transfer them to larger grow-out tanks.

For now, I'm quite pleased with my Corydoras habrosus's first spawn and I've got 10 little buggers to feed. They're growing in a disgusting looking tank that would make most folks squirm. Not that I care... but heck, I know it works for me.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland

No problem Ronnie

Just couldn`t resist the comment ,, know what you mean about manky tanks , best way to do it
    I start out with a cleanish tank and by the time the not (hopefully) so little buggers can be found it`s well shall we say yuk.
    Had a offer from NASA for the Mars mission for one of the tanks ha ha must be a new type of life in some of them
    Good on the cory`s I do the other one (pygmy) , just a few to start , plenty of java moss and let them get on with IT .
    Spent 2 hours in the shed doing the fish, SJO`s feeding like pigs on earthworms now only trouble is what goes in one end comes out the other as **** , power filters are great things have to clean it out weekly.
    Still messing about with Notho`s and cory`s . Was into Discus for a few years but got a live eventually

Take care

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Ron, since you got your hands wet again with ANNs, what other killies are you keeping now?

Eric Yeo
    Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eric, shall we say it's one killie too many??!!

Let's see... besides your prolific Fp. nigeranus 'Innidere' and 2 line of ANNs, there's Chromaphyosemion splendopleure 'Ekondo Titi' & splendopleure 'Tiko' that came back to me from a killie-buddy.

Also caring for a group of young adult Fundulopanchax mirabile moense 'Bator', Fp kribianus CI-98 & Fp sjoestedti 'Niger Delta'. Returned a group of young Fp filamentosum 'Ikeja' because I was running out of space.

Then again, I'm a very contradictory person since I blur blur and now, also caring for a pair of Austrofundulus leohoignei... plus tubs of Hypsolebias (Simpsonichthys) flammeus 'Nova Roma', Hyp flagellatus 'Malhada NP 06/09' & Austrolebias nigripinnis 'Sagastome'....

Didn't I already said it was one too many??!!

Oh ya... there's gonna be a sharing session at GC Shop. Topics covered in Part 2/2 includes preparation of spawning media, DIY spawning mops, etc on 31st March 2012 at 11am. Come lim kopi with me?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wow! Ron, that many you are keeping. Beside Angelfish I'm still keeping the Fp. nigeranus 'Innidere' and ANNs.
    Sorry, I can't come on 31 Mar 2012 to lim kopi with you, I got to go for Qing Ming at Choa Chu Kang.

Eric Yeo
    Eric Yeo

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345