Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Fish food for discus planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Discus eat a lot. So when I feed with discus bits I need to throw quite an amount of them. But I think bits cloud the water a lot maybe due to the fact that they are made by some powder form substances (like yeast etc). Of course I know the "finish-in-2-minutes" rule, but there is still some cloudiness that I want to get rid of in order for the planted tank to look good [:]

When I feed with frozen blood worms, the cloudiness was much reduced. Any such experience? Should I use frozen blood worms as main food and bits as supplementary?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/6/2003 2:18:40 PM

Discus eat a lot. So when I feed with discus bits I need to throw quite an amount of them. But I think bits cloud the water a lot maybe due to the fact that they are made by some powder form substances (like yeast etc). Of course I know the "finish-in-2-minutes" rule, but there is still some cloudiness that I want to get rid of in order for the planted tank to look good [:]

When I feed with frozen blood worms, the cloudiness was much reduced. Any such experience? Should I use frozen blood worms as main food and bits as supplementary?

Thanks.
    ----------------
    Hi, what to feed and how much depends on the discus that you put in the planted tank and how well you intend for them to grow.

If your discus are mainly juveniles, feeding them bloodworms as the staple food will result (most likely) in stunted discus. At a young age, discus will require high protein intake to grow bulky and round. If not, then you will have sharp-faced discus in the future.

If it is adult discus that you put into the planted tank, then bloodworms will be ok as the BW will be sufficient for their sustenance.

To reduce the issue of water cloudiness and probably excess food, try moderation in feeding and add other fishes into the tank as well to 'soak up' the small bits and pieces that float around.

Happy discus keeping.

Cheers,
    Bryan
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!