7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Silentmorning bro. Jeff bought it already. If led had more easily have 2 or more benefits like less heat, less power used & easy replacement. I would dive in too.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: LED Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Silentmorning bro. Jeff bought it already. If led had more easily have 2 or more benefits like less heat, less power used & easy replacement. I would dive in too.
    The T8 LED tube will be replaceable. It uses low powered LEDs and is much less warmer than the high powered.
    Energy consumption wise never check or calculate yet. The most accurate way is to use an amp meter to do the actual reading from the live wire. I have the meter but lazy to test... hehe maybe tonight...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is a appliance to do the metering. Some bros are using.

Then can use take the meter reading and calc. Much faster

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No need special appliance like those 3 pin plug watt meter. I don't believe in those, just some fancy toy which may catches fire.
    Get the Amp meter with the clamp will do. Just need to split the wires and measure from one of the wires preferable the the live wire. Using a 2 pin extension power strip will be easier.

Adding on. Forgotten about my physics already but somehow i feel that when we measure wattage, we need to consider the voltage used also. LED runs at different voltage and T5HO runs at 24V. i.e 15V x 500mA and 24V x 500mA will give you a different wattage. I don't think the 24W on T5HO or 1W/3W is the actual power drawn but the energy of the light(not perceive brightness which is in Lumen). My LED is 4 x 1W but the power adapter output is 15V 700ma which is 15 * 0.7A = 10.5W. If W is the power drawn a 1.5ft T5 single lamp will be 18W which is already more than LED.

Emm... Anyway, Amp meter will give the most accurate measurement for the actual power consumption and light intensity of LED cannot compare with T5 tube directly. i.e. a 2 ft 2 x 24W T5HO will not be the same as a 2ft 12 x 3W LED power to light intensity ratio. I believe the LED is much much powerful in this case especially on light intensity. Only PAR measurement will tell the difference just like what silentmorning said.

Sorry if I am contradicting or making it too confusing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your both lol.

But your not wrong This type measure the best, but not everyone have the cash to buy them and do that.

Yes you got it, fit the lazy fella
    P.s: I'm not using it, I'm too lazy to count. Just pay the bill & compare with past 6 mths from any change.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting to know the outcome as I am into LED lighting. Trying out the PAR 38 and it appears this may be best for spot focusing as the light does not spread well. May need to use 2 for a 2 feet tank but good for Nano or 1 foot planted tank. At about $100/- per set this is reasonable as it is cool, lightweight and should last several years. Power consumption is 15 watts.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

just completed my set up last weekend. I'm using 3 x Lumenaqua max 300. Still think of a good way to link all three together.
    Will update in a week or 2 ..... same thing i look for in LED , low heat to the tank, the heatsink is quiet hot ... and hopefully low elec consumption.

mk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Your both lol.

But your not wrong This type measure the best, but not everyone have the cash to buy them and do that.

Yes you got it, fit the lazy fella
    P.s: I'm not using it, I'm too lazy to count. Just pay the bill & compare with past 6 mths from any change.
    Using the utilities bill is really a very rough estimate only. Other electrical usage may be the actual spike if there is any. Talking about cost, FL, PL or LED they don't cost more than $10 a month for a set. MH, maybe and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by smk View Post
    Hi,

just completed my set up last weekend. I'm using 3 x Lumenaqua max 300. Still think of a good way to link all three together.
    Will update in a week or 2 ..... same thing i look for in LED , low heat to the tank, the heatsink is quiet hot ... and hopefully low elec consumption.

mk
    Cool, I have been contemplating for a very long time on getting one of this. Maybe after my pay raise...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Compared to my 72w PL, the t5. 136w? $10 more I think. Pub raised the per watt billing every now and then.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

there is no written spec given for these LED i bought, just the the word of retailer .. which of this set have 12x2W LED and est. 25W per set = 3 x= 75W...

mk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

there is no written spec given for these LED i bought, just the the word of retailer .. which of this set have 12x2W LED and est. 25W per set = 3 x= 75W...

mk
    Does it comes with a power adapter, the max power consumption can be calculate from the Input specification. 230V * A = W.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Found more specification on the Lumen Aqua products. The Lumen Aqua Sunshine is in my wish list...

For the Pro, MH alternative(Not FL/PL) - http://www.skyhigh-technology.com/Up...7201441289.pdf
    Lighter on the pocket - http://www.skyhigh-technology.com/Up...1811398101.pdf
    The cheapest but for Nanos - http://www.skyhigh-technology.com/Up...8114145609.pdf
    Par30 - http://www.skyhigh-technology.com/Up...8114228217.pdf

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    Does it comes with a power adapter, the max power consumption can be calculate from the Input specification. 230V * A = W.
    on the adaptor printed 24DC 1400mA. that's max 33.6W ?

mk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

on the adaptor printed 24DC 1400mA. that's max 33.6W ?

mk
    DC is the output. What about the input current? 1A?

For people who are interested in the T8 LED. The pair of 3 feet I am using is drawing 0.11A and that is 25.3W (230 V x 0.11 A). The same current as my 1 x 36 W PL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

More updates...

My Retrofit II 2 x 24 W T5 HO - 0.17A (39.1 W)

Lumen Aqua Mini 4 x 1W LED - 0.05A (11.5 W)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    Hmmm ... printed input 240V , 1A = 240W ? likely printing error ??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm ... printed input 240V , 1A = 240W ? likely printing error ??
    I think that is the max the adapter can go draw. For adapter, I have no idea how to calculate the actual power consumption other than use a amp meter. Any electrical engineer can help advice?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, thanks . Has been 2 weeks and plant are growing . Will update 2 week later . Thank you
    mk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Has anyone considered using LED grow light mainly used in hydroponics industries. The lights are mainly RED, BLUE, and Orange spectrum. It has been shown that LED light with a lot of red light will produced plants that grow fast stems. And light with lots of blue will produce more compact (dense) plants.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info but what if i combine 2 light like red and blue will the plant be long and thick. Thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast