Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: LED Lighting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tried out the LED light set that came with the Dymax IQ5. It looks cool but I can understand why some forumers say it sucks. The dimmer on mine occasionally works and the function to turn on and off the blue lights is not working. I opened up the control unit and it looks fine but I reckon there's a wiring problem somewhere, or those buttons just don't work.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure also i got 2 IQ5 at home like you said the light some time don't work and some times do i just add a timer and don't adjust so until now still ok.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Precisely why people say it's crap. The buttons are there for a reason but do not seem to work right all the time. Only the Power On button is reliable, but what's the use of 4 functions when they don't work when you want them to.

I guess Dymax needs to do some real QC before releasing such light sets in the future. At least one person on Dymax's Facebook said his NX5 light set blew out after 3 days. How is this possible when LED lights are supposed to last longer than fluorescent lamps?

See this for the FB link - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...44555475564055
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Made in china what to do

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

LED lights lifespan is known to have longer lifespan & lower energy consumptionthan fluorescent lamp.
    You may like to try low power LED lightings.
    High power LED tends to generate more heat and those LED lamps usually requires a good heat sink to dissipate the heat.
    Improper/faulty heat sink design can wear off the LED bulb; the bulb is a semiconductor material.
    Low power LED lights last longer because less heat generated. I saw these lightings in the lighting shop at Havelock Blk 22. The shop is very unique and interesting, because they sell a lot of energy saving products.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    .......... How is this possible when LED lights are supposed to last longer than fluorescent lamps?

See this for the FB link - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...44555475564055
    a few possibilities;
    a) poor current control that causes the drive current to fluctuate and exceed the LED limit
    b) poor design of power supply or poor quality of electronic components
    c) poor menufacturing causing micro shorts

the LED itself can last very long provided it is kept cool and not overdriven (ie current control is good). if these 2 conditions are not met, anything can happen.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. You are right. LED can last a very very long time, provided they are designed within their specification. LED that generate less heat is going to last for a very long time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by siongboon View Post
    Yes. You are right. LED can last a very very long time, provided they are designed within their specification. LED that generate less heat is going to last for a very long time.
    Led does generate heat. Only with using other external equipment that actively cools the led that it might last long. Without actively cooling the board that the led is mounted on, the led would not last long, no matter low or high wattage. If I am not wrong, the specs calls for the led to be operated at 26 degree for it to last 10000hr. I remembered this clearly when led was just started to go main stream about 2 years ago.

Also, the length of time the led supposed to operate doesn't guarantee the same par/kelvin it was when you first bought it. Even if it could be used for a long time, it might only be beneficial to algae than the aquatic plants that you are trying to grow and maintain. T5 was only beneficial for the 1st 9 months and degrade to become an algae growing light past the year mark.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I'm considering to upgrade my lighting source. Any reviews so far? Read from page 1 to 5. Some using diy, some using t8 tubes, some using lumenaqua or something.
    Hope you guys can share the progress. Thnx.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A ready made set cost a bunch of monies. Go that route if you have cash to spare. There will be constant upgrade of led bulb so if you want, get a fixture that could easily change the led bulb. I have just received my Maxspect Mazarra light fixture. I upgraded to this from the Maxspect G2 that I bought last year. Have not run it yet though.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow! Must have cost a bomb!
    Thnx

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, but I now know that led bulb do not live up to expectation. The 10000hr life span does not come true for my own experience. This is my 2nd Maxspect light fixture, let's see how this light fixture stands out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dang!
    I know how you must feel. I'm restless even at work trying to figure out what light set to use. I have a 4ft length by 2.5ft deep tank. Currently on Aqua Zonic 54x4 and one of the tubes sometimes on sometimes off (ballast or connection prob). Sometimes when I swit h on another switch it will turn on!

Just went to NA, Got tempted by Hopar MH clip on light!! 2x150w is sure to solve the lighting issue!!! But heat issue??

Sigh..

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

4 light tube not enough in my opinion. I was using 8 x 54w T5 light tube for my 4ft marine tank. You got to sit down and do some calculation on the cost of owning and operating each type of lighting.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Hi,

I am not sure whether I should post my question here or in the planted tank forum.

Anyway, here it goes:

I am looking to set up a planted fish tank again with all the new nice looking LED lights coming up recently. I have question about life span of such lighting.

In the past, I used to have PL lights and I changed them every six months. So similarly, do I need to replace the LED bulbs frequently or can they last forever (until the bulb blows).

Hope that some experts on LED light can advise me.

Thank you.

I have been using led lights from aqauzonic for my 3ft tank for about 1.5 years and its still working well. I don't think we really can judge it is gets dimmer unless we use a light meter.
    Join me on my site.

www.klimshrimps.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    4 light tube not enough in my opinion. I was using 8 x 54w T5 light tube for my 4ft marine tank. You got to sit down and do some calculation on the cost of owning and operating each type of lighting.
    hehehe... i setteled with 6x 54 T5HO from DeLightings! It was nice till the temp shoot up and then, Green Water Issues! A good reason to finally SCAPE my aquarium! lolx

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345