-1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Diy cabinet

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    DSC00283.jpgI am trying to make a cabinet for my 2 x 2 feet tank after reading some of your posts ,after considering the fact that a new cabinet would cost me 300 dlrs i chose this option and dont know how it wil turn out wish me luck and any help would be appreciated.
    ordered some plywoods cut into sizes at a shop in eunos brought them home n assembled this way with some hitches.DSC00284.jpgDSC00282.jpg.The outer frme is covered ,hope the door will fit in nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Diy cabinet

The iron suppose to be in there? If yes is still okay, if no, then you need to re-do, as the top sure cannot support the weight.

Ensure no gap between the iron and the plank if the iron will be there, else will give way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you are intending to cover the iron stand. You could have used a thinner ply wood instead to low down the cost.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes intend to keep the iron in ,just to cover up n laminate the woods to make it look nicer .

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

DSC00287.jpgDSC00286.jpg
    The front door jutting out about 5 cm , gaps on the front door ,need to raise up the door cause the hinges need to be adjusted more inward.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The way the top plank is placed seems dangerous, suppose to lie straight on top supporting two sides planks. It is safer if the top planks rest on top the iron.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it does rest on the iron flat with four screws tightened over the sides,its just cosmetics ,the real support is the iron frame.

BTW it cost me 70 dlrs to shape n cut the wood to size ,
    screws bolts ,hinges n drill bit cost 17 dlrs
    the formica 35 dlrs
    so total cost 122 dlrs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice work siraj, but have you worried about how the moisture will affect the plywood boards? Personally, I find it easier to cover up a metal stand with a plastic sheet with corrugation in between. They sell these boards at bookstores for a cheap price. You don't have to worry about moisture and/or pests like termites.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Siraj,

I concur with stormhawk, looks like you are making a "cosmetic" improvement to the iron stand rather than building an actual cabinet, so IMO, I think there are easier (and cheaper) ways to do that. The $s you have spent is pretty much what would cost you to build a complete cabinet.

If you haven't already done the laminates on the boards, just be careful as they can be very sharp!

Perhaps you should have posted this in the "DIY" forum and gottten more feedbacks/before you started. In any case, all the best!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Alternatively, you could try using black mounting board which several bros have done and shown on AQ. It's still aesthetically pleasing and cheaper/lighter.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Same stuff like I mentioned Emokidz. Only problem is condensation forming on the boards over time, and leaving behind an unsightly layer of lime deposits... yucks.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.