Country
    Singapore

White spot on cardinal and plattes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi :

I have just bought a fan and few cardinal from Ginza LFS on Saturday. My tank used to have 28 - 29.5 deg C, that's why I bought this new fan.

After running the fan over night the temp dropped to 26. The cardinals are very lively, and plattes all shrugged at the bottom of tank, before the fan was installed, they were very lively on top.

Last night I spotted white spots on two plattes, quickly I quarantined them . Today , all cardinals were also infected with the disease. Went to the local LFS for advice, without telling the owner of my newly installed fan, she asked if my tank water too cold. She said I need to change all my carnister filter sponge, quarantine the infected fishes, dropped a few drops of Tetra Medica (white spot aquarium treatment), and bubble the bucket of fishes.

Anyone has any experience of getting rid of this white spots from the fishes, especially from the tank ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Complete bull from that LFS owner. My tank is chiller-cooled, and my cardinals can tahan 24-26 degrees.

As for how to remedy:
    Add salt (do a search for the exact amount for your tank)
    If you try to use their medicine, then make sure there are no shrimps, as these medications will contain copper, which will kill your shrimps. (I do not recommend using this!)

I always add salt, and it has always worked for me! But salt treatment is not a one-off thing. You must be patient enuff to see the results in 3-4 weeks, and ich will not come back. Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Should I continue to quarantine the poor cardinals, or put them back to the planted tank and add salt ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry that this isn't relevant but i can't help feeling amazed at how cool your fan is. You did mention that your tank was 28-29 degrees before you used this fan. Can i ask if there was already a (older) fan then? Cos even with a fan my tank still 28 degrees. If you switched brand of fan to get your 26 degrees, can tell me where you bought and what's the brand / price? Thanks!
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you can get the same results with any ac fan (or 2).

if you're using a DC fan, you might need 4.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/9/2003 9:03:31 AM

you can get the same results with any ac fan (or 2).

if you're using a DC fan, you might need 4.

----------------
    Hi thanks for the advice. Currently i have only 1 fan. The fan i am using now is a plug and play type, no transformer involved. I suppose this is what you call a DC fan? I'm very curious, why the difference in cooling ability between a DC and AC fan? Another thing is does it matter if the fan blows onto the water surface or suck air from the water surface?
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys, I am seeking advice on treating my fishes. Please help.

p/s : I am using the DC fan which I bought from Ginza plaza LFS (lake ... something) .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience with cardinals is that they are not really that hardy when it comes to ich. So, do expect maybe a few deaths even if you dose with salt. But, majority should recover in no time.

And you should dose it in your main tank, cos ich is still there!

Another thing: when preparing salt solution, pour in slowly(esp if you have cories, because the salty stream may kill them. Cories can tahan salt, but not when you pour the salt solution directly over them.)

When you change water, make sure you keep up with the salinity of the water to make sure ich dun get a chance to resurface.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    dose 1 tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons of water.
    keep up the treatment for 2-3 weeks and change water every every 3-4 days.
    maintain the salt concentration in your tank.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    What about Tetra Black water , does it help ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blackwater extract and other water conditioners will not help you cure your fishes of ich.

If you don't feel like going with the overwhelming recommendation of salt treatment, you may wish to try your luck with commercial medication for freshwater ich ... Some of them do claim to be safe to plants and invertebrates (e.g. shrimps).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try reading this post for some basic info for treating white spot.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My tank suffered from ich recently too. I followed the instruction of the salt dosage suggested and nothing else (I slowly add the full premix dosage over 5 days). To be perfectly honest, the death rate shot up after the salt treatment. Fishes that appear total healthy (flaring fins at each other, feeding till tummy full and chasing each other) are found dead and rotting the very next night when I went home.

My entire collection of coral-red pencil and half of the golden-pencil are dead now, plus the countless rasbora and puffer.

I used to keep Cardinal and and they suffered from ich attack once. I did not do anything other than turning the UV 24hrs a day. I lost probably only 3-4 cardinal out of 100 pcs only during the ich attack.

Someone posted on the AQ that their fish seemed to die at a faster rate after the suggested salt treatment. Another replied that those fishes that died are fated to die even without salt treatment. From my observation, I beg to differ.

The only instruction I forgot to follow is to change water every 3-4 days.
    Maybe that is an important point?

Feedback Score
    can try garlic treatment too, but dun overdose else the fishes will be at the surface gasping for air. How much garlic juice to add then? U've to seek advice from other forummers here since im not sure of it.

Feedback Score
    For those who uses fan and the temperature doesnt reach lower than what others can achieve, u may want to consider the following:

1) Make sure the fan is blowing onto the water surface, rather than out of it
    2) Personally I feel that placing the fan face down to the water is much more efficient than those clip on fans that blows at the water surface at different angles.
    3) Does your lighting have a stand (ie. u need a clearance between the lights and the tank itself so as to achieve better ventilation.

Just my 3cents, I may be wrong but that when I conclude from my past experience GL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicky,

Ich seldom kills fishes directly. The wounds left on the fishes (when the parasites drop off) leave them vulnerable to secondary infections and this is usually what kill fishes. Ich keeps on getting re-introduced to fishes if their lifecycle is not broken and fishes will continuously be weakened by the parasites. In fact, fishes with white spots in an otherwise pristine environment can last for 1-2 weeks without any treatment.

If you experience high death rate during salt treatment and seemingly healthy fishes are found dead after a day, then you may want to look for signs of other problems. Possibilities include nitrite poisoning and internal bacteria.
    ThEoDoRe