Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cory Problems...

Feedback Score

Cory Problems...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bought a Dupli from CS 2 days ago. Went straight home at 5pm. By 11pm I saw the fish lying on its back in the tank still breathing.

Brought it out and put it in a small tank with a pump to see what's wrong. Other than the black back band losing a little bit of colour, I noticed the top part of its tail seems to be a bit jagged, don't remember seeing it at the shop though. I did not put in any medication cause I dunno what to put and I don't have any anyway.

Yesterday morning it went to fish heaven floating upside down
    .......damn sad....

On the existing Dupli in the tank, I saw a small white patch on its black back band last night, dunno whether it injured itself or wat....Don't think there's anything wrong with the water cause my other corys and rummies swimming happily leh...

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what might have happen to the peng san dupli above? I checked my water last night : PH6.5, KH3, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0. Last water change on Sunday.

Last nite, the white patch on the living dupli mentioned seems to have gone away, but another white patch appeared below the dorsal fin. It is still swimming actively in the tank though. See link to the pics. What should I do?

And last nite, the tail of one of the Pandas in the tank seemed to have been nipped or rot I'm not sure. See link to the pics.

I noticed that when the corys are resting, the malayan shrimps will crawl up to them and start nibbling the tails or the body, like how they do it when they feed on algae on wood or leaves. Could they have been the ones to nib off the tail, or worse, cause the white patches on the dupli? I have rummies too but I don't think they ka jiao them.

Am losing sleep cause I really like them

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dt0...os&.view=t

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had similar problem with my C. Hasboras. It was a change of environment that had probably stressed my corys.

I believe it maybe the same with your corys too.

I used Sera Baktopur on the whole tank. Baktopur is supposedly not harmful to shrimps nor the nitrifying bacteria (I believe so because my malayan shrimps were ok throughout the treatment and I did not have a NH3 or NO2 spike.). My cory recovered on the 2nd day. (The prescribed treatment last for 3 days.)

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have exactly the same problem with a new Dupli from a group of 3 i got last week. The other two looks perfectly fine with the new environment.

The sick fellow went heaven yesterday. Yes suspect is the stress.
    Looks like luck come into play when you buy them.

Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Thanks BCLee and CoryDorus.

BCLee- the similiar problem you were referring to, you talking abt the dupli that died or the dupli that had the white patch problem?

CoryDorus - which similiar problem you refering to as well?

Sorry, maybe I stated too many things in my post.

Feedback Score
    aiyo...2 Duplis went heaven this week ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm..interesting. I bought the dupli from the tank too. So far no problems. Touch wood.

Anyway, before I offer any suggestions, a few questions..

1. Did you aclimatise the fish before introducing it in your tank?

2. How long was the fish in the bag during transportation before it was introduced into the tank?

3. What kind of test kits are you using? Are they accurate?

4. What are your tank dimension or rather the capacity?

5. What does the bioload of your tank consist of? Number of Prawns in the tank?

6. What kind of filtration are you using? Capacity?

7. Was the fish already looking miserable when you picked it out?

With some of the above informaton, we can probably try to suggest some conditions that may have caused the demise of the duplicareus.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The one that died. Same scenario.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine didn't die. She had a whitish spot near the dorsal fin. She recovered after I medicate the tank.

BC

Feedback Score
    Hi Benny,

My answers to the questions :

1.Yes, with partial addition of the tank water into the bag. 2 times at 100% of the original volume at interval of 15mins. Thereafter net the fish into the tank and discard the water in bag.
    2. About 3 hrs.
    3. JBL PH, KH test kits. Funny thing is, The colour of the liquid when I measure against the chart seems to be in between the 6.5 - 7 range everytime i take the test. It is pretty hard to get an accurate figure. PH test pen a bit too ex for me.
    4. 3 ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft.
    5. I have about 12 malayan, 2 yamatoes, 1 cherry, 20 rummies, 6 corys and 1 zebra otto.
    6. Eheim 2026
    7. The fish was the most active of the lot in the lfs tank.
    8. No visibles injuries or anything. Think the belly was a bit sunken.

Hope the above info helps.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi N.I.N,

From the above, seems like you did everything right. The transportation isn't long enough to cause severe pH drop in the transportation bag. Your tank capacity is not overloaded and your filter is more than adequate to handle the load.

Still, the pH measurement may be questionable. pH test kits starts from S$6.50 onwards and hover around S$9 to S$12 for the more respectable ones. A Hanna pH test pen is less than S$40. Do consider as it's a savings in the long run.

Sunken tummy is usually indicative of stress or internal bacterial infection. If the eyes are not sunken, then it's most probably stress related. Stress could be from several factors, including pH changes, as well as level of disolved mineral in the water.

As corydoras have skutes instead of scales, it may not be obvious, but the fishes may be infected with diseases like columnaris. Some of the symptons are damaged fins and skin tissues. Do monitor the rest of your livestock carefully.

Basically, I can't draw any conclusion on the cause of death from the information provided, but it is best to monitor your water quality as well the the general well being of the other fishes carefully for a while.

Take care!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?