Country
    Singapore

Hairgrass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

Hairgrass is considered a high light plant right? I have CO2 and 144W in my 3ft tank. Water temp is around 28-30.

Planted my hairgrass for a month already and they have not started to creep yet. Infact, the growth is very slow.

My glosso is growing very well. Planted it on the same day as HG and there is a glosso lawn already.

Also, the HG seems to be an algae magnet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Same problem here. I used breach to clean them of BGA twice. Now there is no more algae but the growth is slow. My glosso is going to cover the hairgrass if I don't keep redirecting them to propagate in other direction.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hairgrass low or high light, will still grow. You just need to have patience and wait for it to spread, since it will take quite sometime.

I don't have any algae problem with HG, only my wood show some sign of algae whenever I neglect my tank during busy weeks...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey guys I came across while reading in aqua journal that you have to trim your hair grass short when they start growing and they will produce new runner as well. Cheers....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HG are very slow spreading plant, my plot of 10cm by 5cm took 6 months to spread another 10X5cm area. Tenellus are fast grower and creeps fast. The last plot planted 3 weeks ago are starting to spread runners. Sooner or later they will take up the empty space the HG didn't cover....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You have to plant your hairgrass sparsely. Do not plant them in clumps. If you do, some of it may start dying and attract algae.

Spread them out. Plant them a few strands at a time. Yes, it may be back breaking to do that. But the results will reward for your effort.

Mine started spreading within 1 - 2 weeks.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    where is the hairgrass expert when u need one?hey shifu choy...come in leh.keke....anyway....my hairgrass starts to spread abt 2 mths later..which is just abt 2 weeks ago..they are filling up the space well.and yes...plant them like those padi field.abt 2cm apart from each other..and though the spreading and growth might be slow,its worth it when all runs smoooth and u got urself a beautiful hairgrass lawn!

*tune up the lights and co2 and they can grow pretty fast...just ask choy!

Feedback Score
    i have the same problem with hairgrass.. not spreading at all.. infact, somehow i always find them being uprooted and foating at the top.. have to always keep replanting them. Anyone knows how to prevent uprooting? i always pressed them in firmly and consolidate the soil around tightly..

Anyone has some glosso to spare oso? Wan to try them out cos the hairgrass is so disappointing..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/10/2003 11:16:44 AM

i have the same problem with hairgrass.. not spreading at all.. infact, somehow i always find them being uprooted and foating at the top.. have to always keep replanting them. Anyone knows how to prevent uprooting? i always pressed them in firmly and consolidate the soil around tightly..

Anyone has some glosso to spare oso? Wan to try them out cos the hairgrass is so disappointing..
    ----------------
    How did you plant your hairgrass?

You need to use tweezers to plunge them into the gravel.

BC

Feedback Score
    oh.. basically just use first finger to push the roots into the gravel then backfill and consolidate the gravel around it..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/10/2003 11:47:19 AM

oh.. basically just use first finger to push the roots into the gravel then backfill and consolidate the gravel around it..
    ----------------
    Invest in a cheap pair of tweezers. It will make a whole lot of difference. (I use those cheap plastic ones.)

Glosso will also be as problematic without a pair of tweezers.

BC

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. Will get a pair and stay away from using fat fingers. Anyone has some glosso to spare?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll be getting dwarf hairgrass from Teo this weekend. Hopefully can create a grassland effect for half of a 3ft tank. Since I've never planted hairgrass before, I hope to get some advice here. So far, this is what I understand should be done:

1. Plant in small bunches of about 10 hairgrass.
    2. Plant each bunch about 2cm away from the next bunch.
    3. Trim down to about 2-3cm (except for those behind rocks/driftwood etc)
    4. Have algae crew starved and on the standby as algae may strike in the first few weeks.

I read from a website that trimming helps eliminate dying portions of leaves and promote growth, so algae (if any) is more manageable. Have I missed out anything? Any other tips to share? I also plan to have the taller version of hairgrass, but not too sure of what it's called. Have to do my homework first.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok...one more advice...make sure u have a fit back!get some ointment ready for standby use.lol...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    or have a masseus on standby![]
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That bad har? []
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    never try never noe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can ask the maid to plant. []
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Look out on Aqua Journal issue 36 on Hair Grass.......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hahaha....ask the maid to plant sia...can can...ask her do other things also can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast