Images
    Country
    Singapore

how to get rid of Utricularia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The Utricularia or Bladderwort was introduced to my tank via riccia. At first, I am not so aware of this tiny hair-like plants. However, after a few week, it starts to multiple and eventually en-tangled to one of my shorter plants and covered the whole plant.I tried to remove it by tweezer but the amount is too many. Any one got a better idea to remove it? (other than remove the plant) Do any fish or shrimp take it as meal? Thank in advance.

Also heard that it is a carnivorous plant that eat small fish or shrimp. Is it true? Look harmless to me.

Feedback Score
    It is true that this plant will trap and consume tiny animals, like the pitcher plant or venus fly trap if they develop bladders. The bladders are about 3mm in diameter with a lid to enclose tiny animals that enters it. However, probably due to the rich nutrient environment in aquariums, they usually do not develop bladders in aquariums but produce many thin thread-like stems. Unfortunately, I do not know of an easier method to remove them other than physically removing them every other day for a few weeks until you do not find them anymore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    any anti algae medicaton tends to kill them...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Manual removal is the only safe method to remove these bladderworts. Any medication that kills them will most likely affect plants. Critters that eat them will probably target other soft vegetation (e.g. moss) as well.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it really depends on the rest of your plants.

if the rest of your plants are moss, crypts, echinodorus. you can do it the way I do.

(actually I want to keep them, they can't survive in my tank or something).

I also note that sensitive plants like hornwort and utri die when I treat tank with protozin/myxaxin (for disease).