Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: hair grass tank

hair grass tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok, I am going to try having a hair grass only tank. Same as the one in Amano's book.

I right now have a 2ft tank that is 15 inches high. Nothing else, no lights, no gravel, no base fert. So it's basically a start from scratch. Want to get stuff specifically for hair grass only. So, can you people start advising? Lights, gravel, base fert, what kind. I'm also thinking of where to put the rocks and where to get em' in the first place.

Hopefully I will have some success with a foreground plant for once.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Spily

How are you?.....Hair grass only tank huh. As for the base fert, I think the JBL will do fine for you. Keep your gravel shallow to about 3/4 inch thick, maximum at 1 inch give and take.

As for lights, if you can get it to about 3.5watts should be good enough. More important is to keep the tank cool at 27C to 28C
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    David is right about the gravel thickness. Get thin as possible. But this could be tricky as thin gravel would allow base fert easily leech (or is it leach?) into the water collumn. Hairgrass is quite a light and CO2 hungry plant so DIY co2 may not be the best idea.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey guys...guess wat.drop by NA today.saw the hairgrass tank inside the shop.actually went there last week,not much of spreading.if im not wrong the most is he just planted it recently only.BUT today i went...wat the...the hairgrass oredi spreading![:0] he is using the ada soil.the light is not very strong.and co2 only abit.using internal filter.im really quite shocked that it spreads so fast.hmm....maybe nature tan knows something we dunno aye?[:]

Hey ho David, haha... I was just wondering last week where you disappeared to. Ok, let me get this right ah, gravel should be no more than an inch thick.

I am considering of getting ADA soil. I do not know what kind, but it's the $38 for one large pack, I think more than enough for my 2ft. It's brown and well, kind of bigger than the gravel we always buy. Still need to get base fert with ADA soil right?

Not to worry sherwin, I got a CO2 cylinder with valve and timer, was quite blessed to be given that thing.

I guess after I get the equipment, next question will be, how to plant. Read from a few threads before, ought to plant small bunches but small spaced out. Oh and fert regime too.. Need to ask about that.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello guys,
    Sorry to bud in here....
    Iz it okay if the HG is planted in a very thick substrate. At around 3 inches.
    Until now then i found out the subrate thickness affects the reproduction.
    Will the Hairgrass grow well??

Thanks..

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/13/2003 11:36:38 PM

hey guys...guess wat.drop by NA today.saw the hairgrass tank inside the shop.actually went there last week,not much of spreading.if im not wrong the most is he just planted it recently only.BUT today i went...wat the...the hairgrass oredi spreading![:0] he is using the ada soil.the light is not very strong.and co2 only abit.using internal filter.im really quite shocked that it spreads so fast.hmm....maybe nature tan knows something we dunno aye?[:]
    ----------------
    I also saw the hairgrass at NA and checked with the owner on it. The one that he is displaying is another tank that he had planted for two months which is using AZOO planted soil. The one that he previously displayed is using ADA soil which did not do well. He say the ADA soil PH is too low that might have cause the hairgrass not growing well.

Maybe you can check with him again if you happen to drop by there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have planted hairgrass in plain gravel before. No problem with hairgrass not spreading. I doubt that it will have very big impact.

CO2 and fertilisation do help a lot.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oops..thats azoo soil.not ada ah?hehe..paiseh paiseh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For ADA soil do we need to cover the soil with another layer of gravel??????? And how much to buy for a 3 feet tank????
    If you want to abandon me,
    why bought me home in the first place.

Love your fish,
    Dont give up on them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    from wat i noe...do not need to add anymore base fert or gravels when using ada or azoo gravel.the gravel inside have fert itself.correct me if im wrong bros.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the problem with ADA AquaSoil is it is very light and does not have enough mass to hold down some of the plants. If you have digging fish or current may be an idea to mix with gravel 50:50.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It is quite a challenge for hair grass. one third of my tank is covered with hairgrass. It doesn't really matter how deep is your sand. But must be deep enuf so the base fert would not leak into the water. My tank is 3 inch in front and 6 inch at the back to create a slop. I suggest you create a slope like a mountain for the 3D effect. Plant them in 10-15 shoots at interval of 2cm. Plant them deep so they wont float up. The difficult part is they seems to attract algae easily. After 2nd week. Trim them by cutting short (like hair cut). This will remove the algae and also stimulate growth horizontally. You need lots of lights and CO2. You need lots of patience. I lost mine a few times...and also my temper. Get lots of SAE and Yamato.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?