Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: anyone keeping L255 successfully ? ( Spotted Medusa Pleco)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

anyone keeping L255 successfully ? ( Spotted Medusa Pleco)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So I bought two about 3 weeks ago, however, I've yet to see them eating.

I've tried frozen bloodworms, live tubifex worms, MP, chicken liver, celery, cucumber, massivore, hikari veggi pellets...but up till now I yet to see them eat, much less move from behind the two submerge pumps I have in the tank. one behind each pump. I've 4-5 pieces of driftwood in the tank so there is no lack of hiding places.

I think they fought ? As both have broken tails and fin but whenever I peek at them they don't seems to wanna move at all much less eat.

Is this normal ?

Anybody else keeping them and am able to share some insight ?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: anyone keeping L255 successfully ? ( Spotted Medusa Pleco)

L255 is ancistrus so feed more vegetables. Avoid live tubifex, MP, chicken liver, frozen bloodworms and massivore. Algae wafers and cucumbers should be fine. They don't usually eat in the open so it is not surprising not to see them eating but since they are alive for 3 weeks, should be feeding... just not in front of you. Not sure if you have any other tankmates, if not easier to monitor their feeding by looking at the food left.

What tank size do you have?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

usually the hikari algae wafers works like a charm, maybe you can try the hikari sinking wheatgerm koi food. most of my pleco or newly added fish always eat this easily digested food when they are under stress. quite cheap for a small pack anyway.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my tank is 4ft by 1.5 by 1.5. I've two African Marbled Knife fish , one ornate bircher and a small mango pleco in it.

I put a piece of celery in there for at least 24 hours now. and so far, not a single bite.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi y26tan18,

Newly bought plecos usually will not eat right away, especially in front of you. They will take few days to few weeks, at times, to get fully acclimatized in your tank and eat. So you need not worry, moreover, it is harder to monitor your plecos eating in a big tank. During these period, the most important thing is to keep your water well, in order to prevent them from getting any diseases, especially white spots. One way to counter/prevent this (white spot) is to apply heater in your tank to 32 degrees and maintain the temperature for 2 weeks. The increase in temperature will not only boost their immune system but also increase their appetite.

Most bristlenoses are vegetarian but will accept meaty food at times. However, Medusa (L34) and Spotted Medusa (L255)are the two bristlenose which are more carnivorous as compared to other conventional bristlenose. You can feed them Hikari sinking carnivore pellets and frozen bloodworms. Once they accept all these, you can experiment with other sinking food. If the next day, you notice that they did not eat their food, just siphon them away and repeat until they start eating. Try to feed them just before you sleep when the lights are off and avoid tubifex.

good luck.
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks johannes for correcting! Didn't know they are carnivorous. Referred to planetcatfish and Ingo Seidel's book both say herbivorous leh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes thank you for the info. I've stopped putting fresh veggi in now.
    Although I got to ask : Is there really a need to put a heater in my tank ? Since Singapore has such a humid and hot weather ? and the temperature does not go below 32 degrees nowadays...so wouldnt putting a heater in be redundant ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
    thanks johannes for correcting! Didn't know they are carnivorous. Referred to planetcatfish and Ingo Seidel's book both say herbivorous leh.
    No worries bro, i forgot where i got the info from haha...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How are your spotted medusa doing?
    For all my tanks, the temperature would be around 29-31, depending on what kind of filtration i am using. It never goes up to 32-33 without heater. During the cooler days, those without heater would be 28-29 degrees.
    If your tank is constantly at 32 degrees without heaters then i would say it is rather on the high side..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

er actually I'm not sure of the exact temperature of the tank. I've a sticker thermometer on the bottom tank and the reading is never lower then 32 degrees...

well they are both now hiding behind the same power head ( they manage to come to an agreement ?) but have yet to see them move or eat still. I've dropped two massivore pellets right at where they're hiding. Hopefully they'll eat em.

maybe will try get some pics later.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Most of the time you won't see them eating. Try feeding them at night. That's when they usually come out to eat. Dont watch them too much first. They are shy fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

till now I've yet to see them move or eat -.=''' but I'm not so worried anymore as they look kinda healthy...unable to take a proper picture, as the spot they're hiding at is light unfriendly...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

that is a good news, i am sure you can see their excretion and probably they look plumber, indicating that they are doing well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can't see their excretion as they are hiding right at the internal box filter...as for plumper, i think they grew a bit but definitely not fatter. That's the whole problem with having other tank mates. I try and throw in as much as can, so the more aggressive eaters would not eat everything finish. Yet I'm afraid I'll be overloading the system.