5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Finally... Fries!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    That's really cool! I wish I were able to travel around too to look for them! Sounds like an adventure. Haha.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    That's really cool! I wish I were able to travel around too to look for them! Sounds like an adventure. Haha.
    You're most welcome to join me whenever I go on my trips. Johor and Singapore very near so is very convenient.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Would certainly love to try! Haha!
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    Would certainly love to try! Haha!
    I'm going tomorrow with bro blurless to the pond I discovered near my house in JB... after that we will go to another spot in the small town of Pontian some 70km away from JB if the weather permits. If you can make it do let me know if not we can always do it another time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha. Probably some other time! Busy with school work over this weekend! Ahhhh
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Yup. It's harder for us when the eggs and fish we want are concentrated in Europe and the US, with the US hobbyists least keen to share them. I wish you the best of luck in your attempts to get the Ayer Hitam strain. I just passed by Muar and Ayer Hitam recently. From what I see, the oil palm plantations have expanded. I guess the future is bleak for these persephone in the wild.

By the way, have you tried miniopinna yet?
    Rashid-Jianyang I tried to PM/email you but your profile doesn't allow it. Please PM or email me so that I can contact you regarding your quote above. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by royss78 View Post
    Yeah, I totally agree with you mate! I'm from JB and the wild betta scene here is really not exciting... given enough time it will be non-existent.

From the information that I've gathered in the last 3 months working together with the villagers from the surrounding kampungs... there are sightings of the persephone outside of the original two places. The Muar strain is usually found in the area of Pagoh sub-district but there are new sightings in Tangkak enroute to the town of Jementah in Segamat. The Ayer Hitam strain on the other hand is found quite close to the Ayer Hitam town but there are sightings of it in a palm oil plantation on the road to Yong Peng.

I'll be checking these places out soon so hopefully these reports are true. If it is, then there might be some glimmer of hope for this beautiful fishes. Hope to report some good news after my trip there.
    Roy I PM'ed you. Did you receive it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by greatwallmanitou View Post
    Roy I PM'ed you. Did you receive it?
    Didn't get your PM mate... can you try again or just post it here I will check. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You're most welcome to join me whenever I go on my trips. Johor and Singapore very near so is very convenient.
    I would love to go too. Have sent you an email regarding it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Didn't get your PM mate... can you try again or just post it here I will check. Thanks!
    StormHawk wrote: "... eggs and fish we want are concentrated in Europe and the US, with the US hobbyists least keen to share them..." and then you replied to him: "Yeah, I totally agree with you mate!"

What species of US eggs/fish are you keen on?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by greatwallmanitou View Post
    StormHawk wrote: "... eggs and fish we want are concentrated in Europe and the US, with the US hobbyists least keen to share them..." and then you replied to him: "Yeah, I totally agree with you mate!"

What species of US eggs/fish are you keen on?
    Hey Bro, what I meant is that I agree with StormHawk that the betta scene in Malaysia is not that happening also... I was referring to bettas... sorry for the miscommunication.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the pair, pardon the dirty glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice pics!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Johora View Post
    Thanks for the pair, pardon the dirty glass.
    Nice photography and detail! The set up and fish look really good. Do you house them alone? I'm really glad the pair found a good home : )
    Their colours will definitely intensify as they settle down.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Nice pics!
    Haha! Yes they are. They are from the same batch of F1s as the ones you'll be receiving tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes they are housed alone. Still settling in as I've been rearranging the tank abit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha that's great! Good to know that they're doing well. And how did you do the black background photo? I'm kind of a photoshop noob, but it looks great.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The original background was awful, so I just drew around it with photoshop. I am using a very good lens, hence the decent pics.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ohhh, the new black background makes it look more professional - like in a magazine. Do keep us updated on your persephone! Hope they do great for you.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

As of today, 6 pairs have found their way to new homes, with 2 more pairs pending collection by royss78. Let's hope they breed and that this species finds its way back to the hobby. WIll try to pair the remainding lot up for breeding.

Meanwhile, a few spawnings have occurred among the persephone youths, mostly having fungussed eggs. Only managed to get 1 fry out of the 3-4 spawns! I'm guessing that its because they are still young, being 5+ months of age.
    The uberis and channoides fry are doing fine though - gorging themselves silly on daphnia which takes me an hour to get every alternate day -_-"
    Should really try to ween them onto tetrabits and hikari micropellets soon before they get too used to the good life.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast