5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Finally... Fries!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After getting at it 3 times, the pair's 4th spawn came in with a decent number of fries.

Water parameters:

pH: 4.5 - 5.5
    No substrate
    No filter / air pump

Hope that they'll be fine and grow up to be as beautiful as their parents.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Finally... Fries!

Some pictures (quite bad ones)... But do enjoy nonetheless!
    DSC04724.jpg
    DSC04716.jpg

DSC04730.jpg
    DSC04729.jpg
    DSC04728.jpg
    Last edited by Emokidz; 30th Jun 2011 at 17:42.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Congrats. Good decent amount there
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good job. Had no luck with my first pair. Hopefully the second one will spawn any full tank shots?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Congrats. Good decent amount there
    Yup it is. The Previous 3 spawns yielded 3 fry in total (2,1,0 fry respectively). So this spawn can be considered a good one.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 900801 View Post
    Good job. Had no luck with my first pair. Hopefully the second one will spawn any full tank shots?
    Sure! I'll try to get a full tank shot up soon. Hope your 2nd pair will produce results though... These guys are so rare as it is!
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Here's a full tank view. Water is stained with KTP and water changes done every week... Enjoy...

The black canister is on the left.

DSC04769.jpg

Persephone's blue fins, since the above pictures don't do justice to the beauty of this fish. Well... even these pictures don't... Haha!
    DSC04731.jpg

Still can't get a full shot (gave up here.. haha). The white bit is dust on the tank glass.
    DSC04746.jpg
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Same set up, same weekly water change except there is an age water tank above the tank. Also don't have floating plants. When I use to keep frog bits, they melted on me. Have duck weeds but don't dare use because contaminated. Might try some Salvinas.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using Salvania. You can try it out. It lasts longer but dies after a month. That's when i replace it with new ones from my planted tank. Haha!
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice going bro, congrats! That's a neat set up too.
    They can produce up to 20 eggs from my experience; and the 2nd spawn can be in another 2 weeks' time.
    Normally, i will let them spawn twice, and have a mixture of fries in the parents' tank for about 2 months, until the fries are around 1 -1.5 cm before i put them in a separate grow out tank.
    This will ensure better growth and well-being. So usually it would be around 40 fries with the parents in the tank, therefore, more rigorous water change would be needed.
    The presence of fries in the tank will somehow stop the pair from breeding. Once i have removed them from the parents' tank, the pair will spawn again.
    The above was based on mine and others may have different experience.
    Sharing my old pictures for old time sake... miss my pair...
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by johannes View Post
    Sharing my old pictures for old time sake... miss my pair...
    Come back to the wild side, Johannes. Poison! Poison!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is that a Gex Small Size tanks? They seem to work only for my little channoides but are too small for my others. Am thinking of trading up to the Large ones that work better for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by johannes View Post
    Nice going bro, congrats! That's a neat set up too.
    [/IMG]
    Hi Johannes, thanks! Yup I'm planning to leave them in with the parents. Do you separate the parents at any time or just leave them in the tank undisturbed to do their thing?
    I've read your previous posts too on breeding B. persephone, very inspiring!
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    Is that a Gex Small Size tanks? They seem to work only for my little channoides but are too small for my others. Am thinking of trading up to the Large ones that work better for me.
    Yes they are Gex S tanks. The smaller bubble nesters can be kept in them as pairs since they never grow past 5cm. For persephones, never past 4cm. Haha.
    I noticed you keep more mouthbrooders, some from the Unimac complex which do get quite big. So an L would definitely be good.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Live and learn. I've got two 2ft tanks on the top tier of the rack...first tier now has 3 L tanks. Next two tiers are filled with the S tanks...but may just switch them all to L tanks and give up the channoides too...can't make my mind up. Yeah, I prefer the larger fishes. Used to really like the smaller ones before but I can't do bubblenesters cause I can't stand the smell of stagnant water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Congratulations Emokidz. B. persephone is a beautiful little species. Which population is this?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Jianyang, they are indeed beautiful. And their personality and peaceful nature adds to their allure. This is the Muar strain. The Ayer Hitam sp. is getting rarer in the hobby. Currently trying to get 2 pairs of those from Hermanus. I intend to keep both strains separately.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    Live and learn...give up the channoides too...Used to really like the smaller ones before but I can't do bubblenesters cause I can't stand the smell of stagnant water.
    Indeed, I am definitely still learning as well. Frequently get advice from some of the pros here and over the phone. Haha. In my free time, I read articles on the species from ibc and other websites/forums. I agree that members of the coccina complex are all very beautiful for such small fish. From experience, the stagnant water does begin to smell at times due to uneaten food and rotting detritus. I try to remove ktp leaves before they start rotting (about once every 3 weeks) and use apple snails which are great at cleaning up (a tip I picked up from a good friend of mine who breeds channoides too!). The heavy staining of ktp helps too. Somehow it subdues the smell and makes the water smell somewhat like tea. Hope this helps!

I don't think you should gve up on channoides though. They are so cute and lovely!
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ooo, apple snails. Must go look for some. Right now, I'm keeping them...including the tank of babies. I count about 10 or so...so small, my eyesight is bad. LOL!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Bernard,

That's a pity. From what I see, almost all of the small bubblenesters are getting scarce in the hobby. A good friend of mine is returning from Germany to Malaysia over the weekend. Even he says the anabantoid scene is getting smaller and smaller even in Europe.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast