Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping red lobsters for the first time

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I will be taking over someone's red lobsters soon and have been trying to read up on their care. I was wondering on a few points:

1. Can I keep them in a tank full or water (and with other fish) or do I need to keep the water just below their head?

2. Can they live with Neon Tetras in a 2ft tank with no other bottom dweller (apart from the usual pleco)?

3. Will they take my Java ferns apart even if I feed them well?

I do know that shelter will be important otherwise they will be territorial and end up fighting and that they will catch smaller and slower fish.

Please do feel free to refer me to appropriate reading resources if you do know of them. Thanks!
    "Do Not Take Counsel Of Your Fears!" -
    Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Keeping red lobsters for the first time

1. Can I keep them in a tank full or water (and with other fish) or do I need to keep the water just below their head?

either or is fine!

2. Can they live with Neon Tetras in a 2ft tank with no other bottom dweller (apart from the usual pleco)?

Yes they can live with the neon tetras but do take note. if they are lucky, some of the tetras might be their snacks.

heard of itch fingers for humans? yes. it goes the same for these critters. even my plastic plants weren't let off.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

For shelters, you can use pvc pipes. Although it is ugly, it is cheap housing, one feet is about a dollar. So, you can cut the pipe into two 15cm pieces and one dollar can provide 2 houses.

Regarding keeping the lobsters with neon tetras, it is seriously not advisable. They are experts at catching fishes, and most sleeping fishes will not escape their pincers.

Regarding plants, so far my java ferns and hornwort is alright with my hoa creek. i am not sure about yours though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If Neon Tetras aren't a good choice with lobsters, what might work with these fellers? Try feeder fish first like molllies?
    "Do Not Take Counsel Of Your Fears!" -
    Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    For shelters, you can use pvc pipes. Although it is ugly, it is cheap housing, one feet is about a dollar. So, you can cut the pipe into two 15cm pieces and one dollar can provide 2 houses.

Regarding keeping the lobsters with neon tetras, it is seriously not advisable. They are experts at catching fishes, and most sleeping fishes will not escape their pincers.

Regarding plants, so far my java ferns and hornwort is alright with my hoa creek. i am not sure about yours though.
    Sorry for the interruption.

Bro lucasjiang,

You mentioned you keeping hoa creek. Do you happen to have some to let go?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nohomeleave View Post
    If Neon Tetras aren't a good choice with lobsters, what might work with these fellers? Try feeder fish first like molllies?
    you may try guramis... they are faster swimmers and least expensive. mine has been doing well with more than 10 crayfishs for years. Small fishes around 1-3cm are pretty good catch for the cray... they tend to "disappear" after sometime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I will be taking over someone's red lobsters soon and have been trying to read up on their care. I was wondering on a few points:

==> Both are fine... However if you are keeping your tank full, ensure your tank is well oxygenated... Crayfish can still drown...

==? Yes, especially if your tank is full...

==> Crayfish / lobsters are destroyers when it comes to fauna...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Erm.. I've tried asking lucasjiang about this as well, but I guess he was too busy to reply me...

Anyway, I got a male Hoa Creek at Qian Hu 2 weeks back... No female Hoa Creeks though... Also got a pair of Blue Moon, which are currently in breeding stage already...

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, sorry for the very very late reply. i only have one hoe creek, which is a male. i will not be releasing it for sale.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i tried keeping 4 of those $2 crayfish in an office tank full of ghost shrimps, neon tetras and guppies and bottom dwellers.

ended up with lots of casualties with the most minor being nipped tails, fatalities almost everyday. fish population dropped drastically over weekends.

how do i know that they are the culprits? i gave away the survivors leaving only the crayfish, added a lone fighting fish and the next day, nipped tails on my poor fish.

so if red lobsters are anything like these critters, not very wise to keep pincer crustaceans with any live stock.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I had a few CPOs in my office tank for a while. In fact, they even reproduced and I ended having up to about 6-8 in my tank.

I do not have any PVC pipes for them but my tank habitat has a number of 'caves' so they like to hide there when they are molting or when they are pregnant. But do note that they do have a short lifespan... up to 2 years max. some earlier, depending on the water parameters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What plants is safe for lobster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

None plants are safe from them. Even cpo digs up my carpet of hairgrass...

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk
    Always there to help even if i can't i'll try my best to

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I keep mine with lucky bamboo. So far thats the only plant that survived