Country
    Singapore

co2 tank main valve

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello guys,

I have an electric solenoid co2 tank I just bought from someone on this forum. Just wanted to ask about the main valve above the co2 clylinder.. how far do you open it? I tried opening the main valve but a hissing sound is heard. didn't sound right so I closed the valve back.

Without meddling with the main valve (just using the needle valve), the tank was initially able to produce co2 bubbles for an hour or so before the readings on the solenoid read 0 on both meters. I thought it was weird because it was at least 30-40% full so I started to open the main valve more till I heard the hissing sound. Both the tank pressure meters and output pressure seems to move when the main valve is opened further.

Sorry I don't really get the mechanism of the co2 tank fully. But how is the tank still able to release gas if the tank pressure meter is reading zero? Is my tank really empty? or is there a faulty valve?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: co2 tank main valve

sound like CO2 leaking. Did you do soap bubble check? Did you remember to put the o-ring?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

didnt do any leak checks or assembling cuz i bought it 2nd-handed just as it is.. but i did fell the air coming out from the main valve of the co2 tank no in between my solenoid and co2 tank..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Should be leaking from the big nut if the gauge is moving and have hissing sound. A non-leaking one will immediate shoot the first gauge to 1000 psi and stay there.
    Close the main valve and unscrew the big nut to check if there is a O ring or if it is broken, if no O ring then use those plumbing white tape to coil a few round around the screw thread before attaching the regulator back.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I would say it is the main valve center nut which is loosen as I experienced once. It is quite difficult to fix it yourself, would suggest you bring it to any nearby LFS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the replies guys. any idea if bioplast can do such servicing? maybe i will head down tomorrow afternoon or something

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My main valve needs to be turned open to the max, otherwise the solenoid would read 0 after a while.
    "time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do the leak test using soap bubble or seaving cream first, then work from there. If the leak come from the main valve, then you need pro to fix it. If the leak come from the connection between regulator and the main valve then its either the o-ring wear and tear or forgot to put.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/