Country
    Singapore

Yamato Shrimps behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I just bought 20 yamato shrimps and put them into my 1 week old planted tank. I noticed that the shrimps would swim up to the surface, then freeze and fall back to the ground. Most of them are showing this kind of strange behaviour. They would lie on the ground for a while, then suddenly swim up to the surface and then drop again. Quite funny actually.

I would like to know if this is normal? Or is there something wrong with my water? I only have a pH and kH test kit. My pH is 7.0 and kH is 6. I am injecting about 1 bps of CO2.

Appreciate the help!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Prior to shrimps, did you put in any other livestock? If not, the water being a week old may not be cycled yet which may lead to the death of your shrimps. Normally for cycling, we would like to put in more hardier fish to start the cycling process.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    when i first started out my tank, my yamatoes exhibited the behaviour that you described - think they may be on the way to heaven...at least mine did....
    I find yamato to be very sensitive to water conditions.... mine only survived after more than 1 month of tank cycling.... suggest that you put in a air stone during those periods when yr CO2 is off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

I would not have introduced the shrimps if I knew this would happen. The reason of adding the shrimps was that there was algae growing. Also it was stated in http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/manual/bms10.html. I guess I am slowly learning.

May I know what are the Hardier fish that can be used for tank cycling? Prior to adding the shrimps, there are actually no fish in the tank. Only plants. I have since added 4 SAEs and 2 OTOs. I do not think that this is enough.

Thanks for your advices!

Erwin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/21/2003 9:09:58 AM

Hi all,

I would not have introduced the shrimps if I knew this would happen. The reason of adding the shrimps was that there was algae growing. Also it was stated in http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/manual/bms10.html. I guess I am slowly learning.

May I know what are the Hardier fish that can be used for tank cycling? Prior to adding the shrimps, there are actually no fish in the tank. Only plants. I have since added 4 SAEs and 2 OTOs. I do not think that this is enough.

Thanks for your advices!

Erwin

----------------
    Stop adding any more fishes. Wait till the cycling is completed.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought you need Ammonia from the fish to start the cycling process?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How big is your tank?

BTW, ammonia can come not only from fishes. Rotting leaves, fish food, etc will contribute to the N-cycle. Even base ferts may produce a little ammonia.

Try to introduce fishes only a few at a time. This is for the well-being of the fishes.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

My tank is 3 feet. It has quite a number of plants.

Also, would it be advisable to add some bacteria additive to the tank? Would it help the cycling process? Or should I wait for it to cycle naturally?

Sorry for all these questions. I am new to this hobby.

erwin

Feedback Score
    many hobbyists have argued on the effectiveness of the bacteria additives. shouldn't have any harm in trying if the budget allows

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the behaviour is that the yamato tryin to reach for heaven! some make it and some will not! ahahahahahaha!
    let nature take its own course, u need time to break in your tank. patience man! a few unwanted fishes will start the process.
    oh my lord yamato!!
    [:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would not agree on the point that during cycling, one should use unwanted fish cos in the end you'll be dumping the fish away cos... well, it's unwanted. This may reflect badly on us as pet owner. So do consider carefully.

Actually a good and hardy fish for cycling would be SAE.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Today after coming back from work. I found all the Yamatoes dead.

However, the 4 SAEs and 2 Otos are still doing well. I will most likeley leave it as it is and let the tank cycle more.

Next on my list is to get a Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kit.