The bio-flume, an experimental channel to model near-natural flow conditions at the Aquatic Science Centre. Photo by SYAFIQAH HAMID

04:45 AM Jul 07, 2011
SINGAPORE - Crushed crabshells, water lettuces and pandan leaves - these can help improve water quality in a energy-efficient and eco-friendly way.

And these, along with other plants and natural organisms, will come under study at the new Aquatic Science Centre (ASC), to harness green engineering techniques that can treat urban runoff and improve Singapore's water quality.

Located at Ulu Pandan Canal, the S$6.4 million outdoor research facility, the first of its kind in Asia, was opened by Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Vivian Balakrishnan yesterday, and will develop a sustainable and integrated approach to fresh urban freshwater management.

"For instance, pandan leaves help to remove nitrates and phosphorus which lead to algae growth and impair water quality; while sarggasum, a sea grass, filters waters much better than commercial filters," said Professor Vladan Babovic, director of the Singapore-Delft Water Alliance (SDWA). "However, putting more plants in the canal slows water flow and increases the water level. The challenge is to make the canal look nice, improve the water quality but keep the risk of flooding at bay."

One highlight at the centre is the bio-flume - a huge trough of water, with plants, measuring 37.5m by 5m. A motor generates water currents replicating movement of water in a canal.

More than just a research facility, the ASC, launched by SDWA - a joint initiative between the National University of Singapore, PUB and Deltares, a Dutch research institute - will enable the public to get a clear view of all the research activities carried out at its premises.

Said Dr Balakrishnan: "It will inspire the young and educate more people about the challenges we face over water."

Also announced yesterday was Project Neptune by SDWA and the National Environment Agency, which will develop and deploy a national water quality monitoring and operational forecast system for Singapore's coastal and marine environment.

"For instance, we can find out what will the water quality near a beach will be like in six or 12 hours' time," said Prof Babovic.

With computer modelling, researchers can predict the rate in which an oil spill can affect the aquaculture, he added.

Project Neptune is expected to be completed in April 2013. By Esther Ng

Taken from TODAYonline
Website Link: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...opens-in-Spore
By: Esther Ng

--

My take:

I wonder what Amano might think when he reads
"For instance, pandan leaves help to remove nitrates and phosphorus which lead to algae growth and impair water quality; while sarggasum, a sea grass, filters waters much better than commercial filters," said Professor Vladan Babovic, director of the Singapore-Delft Water Alliance (SDWA). "
So by using Seachem Prime will also impair our water quality, which removes nitrates. I am just wondering.

PS: I don't use Seachem Prime for the very reason that it removes Nitrate