Images
    Country
    Singapore

lampeyes: how to sex and how to breed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi, anyone knows how to tell the sex of lampeyes?

also, anyone know where they can be purchased in bulk ~20 pieces?

just a side question: do pseudomugil furcatus swim in schools?

Feedback Score
    i think the male will display darker outline near the fins and tails when its ready to mate, while the female just looks normal.

Yishun lfs carries the lampeye, but i think not many left

Just got 50 pieces of blue eye (looks similar to lampeye but different body shape) from Y618.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    male lampeyes have longer dorsal and anal fins. also, some males may have black dots lining their fins. when u look at a male and female, the difference is quite distinct.

maybe u can try tb mkt. think its 40cts/pc but if u buy in bulk, getting a discount shouldnt be a prob.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/21/2003 12:23:13 PM

i think the male will display darker outline near the fins and tails when its ready to mate, while the female just looks normal.

Yishun lfs carries the lampeye, but i think not many left

Just got 50 pieces of blue eye (looks similar to lampeye but different body shape) from Y618.
    ----------------
    Blue eye? is it called blue eyed lamp at the LFS at CCK (beside CCK interchange)?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    there is blue eye rasbora too..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Many years ago, I once had a group of 50 lampeyes (Aplocheilicthys normani, did I get this spelling right?)in my planted tank, with many floating plants like the water lettuce, and stem plants with stems and leaves flowing along the water surface.

While I didn't get to see them actually breeding in my tank, but I've managed to find and raised some of the frys. They are really tiny and transparent, and if you're not observant, you'd probably missed them. Most of the time, they're either hiding in the thickets of floating or trailing plants, or they can be found within the water edge of the glass wall, within the meniscus of water there.

when I find them from time to time, I'd scoop them out with small plastic spoons and raised them on liquifry and newly hatched brine shrimp for about 2 months, before they attain the size of about 1 cm,which I subsequently transfer them back into the main tank, alongside the parents and other adults lampeye.

Just to share my experience with these wonderfully simple and yet striking fish,

Kenny Poh

I had similar experience too. I took out some moss from my main tank into my shrimp tank and approx 2 months later, out of no where a few tiny fly are spoted in my shrimp tank. I raised them up to kill my curiousity of what they are. I then realised that they're the Aplocheilicthys lamp eye. They're actually egg-laying tooth carp or type of a killifish so it's possible that they lay egg on my moss before i transport the moss to the new tank.