Country
    Singapore

Help guys?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys.
    just decided to start using my fantasitic olympus c-5050 which has been lying around the house for 5 months already.
    i also have 2 additional lenses, if i'm not wrong they are the wide angle lens and the zoom lens on top of the existing one.
    also have the tripod.
    as i am a total idiot at photography, i'd like some help from you guys here. maybe give me some pointers on

how to take macro shots or

good overall tank shots or

what modes or settings i can use when shooting my tank

How or when to use the tripod?

also, is my camera suitable for taking tank pics?

THANKS GUYS!
    []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/22/2003 3:20:45 AM

Hey guys.
    just decided to start using my fantasitic olympus c-5050 which has been lying around the house for 5 months already.
    i also have 2 additional lenses, if i'm not wrong they are the wide angle lens and the zoom lens on top of the existing one.
    also have the tripod.
    as i am a total idiot at photography, i'd like some help from you guys here. maybe give me some pointers on

THANKS GUYS!
    []
    ----------------
    Hey Ryan (you're the guy with the upward growing glosso right?)

First of all RTFM (in case you don't know what that means, Read The F"ine" Manual ). If I'm not wrong your C5050 is a prosumer cam which means it has a fixed lens. Your add-on "lenses" are also called filters or converters which modifies the characteristics of the original lens.

I think you can ignore the filters for now, and just read up on the section that says "Macro photography". Find out how to set your camera into macro mode, check your minimum focus distance when fully zoomed in since you will not get a focus below that. Also you want to find out the following:
    • how to do manual focusing (VERY IMPORTANT)
    • how to set apperture priority
    • how to set shutter priority
    • correctly setting your white balance

note since this is digital, film is free so just shoot and worry later, experiment with your cam.

Last but not least, read the other threads here and READ THIS FIRST!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    YUp thats me!
    will read that now...
    Anything to add from anyone else?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ryan,

Your camera is a good camera and many have taken good aquatic pictures with this camera. It's good that you have the 2 lens converter as well as a tripod. You will find the tripod very useful in taking tank pictures.

In addition to reading the manual, I would suggest that you read some basic photography book on subjects not covered by the manual. I have bought the dummies' guide to Photography and the Idiot's guide to photography. Both are quite good introductory book. You can always borrow from the library as you probably won't touch these again after the first read.

As for pointers.....it's a bit difficult if you know nuts and have not read the manual. But I'll try..

Have lots of patience. Read the camera manual for this feature. Shoot loads and maybe you will get some good ones. And if you can, sit on a chair when you shoot (it's damn tiring).

Use your tripod. Shoot at night. Switch off all lights and shoot in total darkness (except for the tank light of course). Watch for reflection of yourself or your camera.

Normally, if it's an auto function, you should use the landscape mode. If it's manual, switch to aperature priority and shot at F8.0 if you can afford the light. If not, then use something like F4.0. If you don't know what's aperture or F8.0, go get the book or go to www.clubsnap.com

The books and experts always says when ever possible. But we're lazy so we also try not to to use it. I think you should be the best judge. If the preview of the picture is not sharp after several attempts, take out the tripod.

Very suitable. It's a good camera.

Have fun and show us your pictures if you need help.

cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

Use your tripod. Shoot at night. Switch off all lights and shoot in total darkness (except for the tank light of course). Watch for reflection of yourself or your camera.

----------------
    You may also want to ensure water level is topped-up before the shoot (if it's low). It can be very distracting and sometimes affects the overall look of the pics. If you shoot at a declined angle, you may capture the reflection of the lights from the water surface which makes it look really ugly.

As hwchoy said, this is digital photography. "Film" is free! So, just shoot! shoot! shoot!

Have fun!
    ckchua