Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red tiger lotus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How do I keep my red tiger lotus short and bushy? Saw one of the display tanks at Pet Safari and their red tiger lotus is really nice. Short and bushy.

I inserted 2 root monster near my lotus and most of the leaves are the size of my palm and already at the water surface. Its blocking out the light and I'm going to cut it this weekend.

Will constant trimming 'help' the plant to grow shorter?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The only solution so far I have seen is to

TnT...Trim and Trim....and it will never be TAMED.

BTW, how big is your tank...to house such a big monster?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I noticed that N. tiger lotus 'Red' will stay shorter when (1) the substrate is not too fertile and (2) lighting is lower than 2W per gallon. It will throw out shorter (and smaller) leaves but may send out surface leaves every now and then if the tank is short enough. Just don't kill the plant by starving it too much.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    as advice by others in this forum. i trim the long ones, now those growing out remain short.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did the same thing (trimming tall leaves) once and was quite happy for a while when the new leaves came out short and smaller. However, things change when I plunge 1/2 a root monster next to it. Within 2 weeks, the plant started throwing out large and fleshy leaves again. I have since concluded that it is not the trimming, but actually the depletion of nutrients in the substrate that was causing the new leaves to remain low and small.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/22/2003 6:33:50 PM

I did the same thing (trimming tall leaves) once and was quite happy for a while when the new leaves came out short and smaller. However, things change when I plunge 1/2 a root monster next to it. Within 2 weeks, the plant started throwing out large and fleshy leaves again. I have since concluded that it is not the trimming, but actually the depletion of nutrients in the substrate that was causing the new leaves to remain low and small.

----------------

Yes and No,
    Yes...extrients do make it big.
    but doesn't mean that it is big because of good nutrients.
    It is a big plant in nature.

Trimming once does not cause it to be dwarft forever. After it stabilised with small leaves (3-4leaves) it will grow big again...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How does Red Lotus reproduce and how long will it start to reporoduce? I have one red Lotus exchange with BCLee and it is growing well. but doesn't seems to be interested in reproducing. Maybe must give baby bonus!

Teo Planters ask me to trim often and the plant will reproduce some plantlet. He say if anyone have too much can bring over to exchange for other plants (not for 4 Colour Lotus, only rare ones). Also these Lotus are HOT CAKES, usually snatch up in a short time.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have one red tiger lotus in my tank...and...i really am considering whether to give it away.even in my 2ft tank....its oredi quite a monster.every 3-4 days will grow out one new leave.now...have abt 9-10 stems oredi.they might even be "snatching" the nutrient from my hairgrass! and i could have also made another mistake by putting oceanfree root monster!now the new leaves grow as big as my palm!(just like mdmbudak's)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I will just cut off those that are blocking the lights to other plants. for those who are not obstructing light to others, i just leave it be. those at the surface the worse, they practically block out a big patch of lights.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I notice the lotus 'creeps'.

So far, I have had 2 new plants growing about 4cm away from the parent plant. I was curious and poked a scissors into the gravel to cut the new plant out.

It had roots and I gave it to a friend and now the plant is doing very well in his 5ft.

Is this the plantlet that you guys were refering to?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

How do you trim down the lotus, just cut off the stem with leaves?

Cheers
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah...just cut off the stem.and i dunno abt tiger lotus creeping.mine always come out from the center.in fact...im really amazed by how they keep on churning out a new leave.[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cut the stem ALL the way down to the gravel.