1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

newbie:need advice

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi to all bros and pros in this forum im newbie in this forum..may i ask some questions to you all here..im planning to make a small shrimp tank as in crystal red
    shrimp tank..here's my questions

1.what brand of soil is the best for shrimp?
    2.what is the right water parameters for CRS?
    3.does overfiltration is bad for shrimp?
    4.what is the best temperature to breed CRS?
    5.what size of the tank is ideal for starters?
    6.Lastly,how many pieces of shrimps is good to start to?

so sorry for many questions because i want to make it
    right so that im not going to loose $$$..thanks..hoping for your advice and help

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: newbie:need advice

Hello, welcome to AQ.

#1 There are many different types of soil available, everyone has their different preferences to which type of soil to use. For example ADA, ADA 2, Benibachi, Borneowild, Gex
    #2 PH of 6.3-6.8, GH of 3 - 6 dH, Ammonia and nitrite must be 0.
    #3 cant help you on this.
    #4 CRS are more sensitive to temperature, from a range of 22-26 degree.
    #5 Start with a 2Feet tank will be more ideal, as the water parameter will be easier to control.
    #6 no idea too.

This are the things that I've searched from all over the forum and even via the internet when i was starting on shrimp hobby. If theres any thing that is off, please pardon me! You can try out the Inverterbrates forum and look at the other posts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

#3 what do you mean by over filteration? Flow rate too strong or too many filters? For CRS, the water have to be very clean. The more filters the better. Some bros here are running multiple canisters per tank. If your flow is too strong, your tank will become a washing machine and the CRS will not be able to take it.

#6 roughly 20 to 30 CRS with a mix of matured males and females will be enough to kick start your colony. You have to factor in some shrimps dying due to age or improper handling etc.
    My nick is lizhien. But i'm not a girl. It's Li Zhi En. =) You can call me Cole too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks bros for quick responce..i mean for overfiltration is many filters to filter the tank water,and what is the easiest soil to cycle..because i heard that ada soil a lot of ammonia in it..what brand is the easiest soil to cycle..and lets say im going to start a normal 2ft tank how many liters of soil do i need to reach the requirements?thanks again bro COLE &
    JIANYIAN..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

check out this thread by Bro eviltrain for the calculation of soil height

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...t-calculations

personally im using benibachi. according to them, it can be used after cycling for 3 days. But i still let it cycled for 3 weeks just to be safe. Lots of bro out there using ADA soil and have been successfully breeding shrimps out there too.

How many filters and what sort of filters will be using for the tank? Hang on filter? Internal filter or canister filter. For an average 2ft tank, its + / - 57 L or so. You need to take note of the flowrate of the filters too. Also, will you be considering a chiller for the tank to keep the temperature under control? All these will lower down the flow rate of your filter from what is listed on the product. Not sure how they calculate the flowrate for tanks. But most of the frequents one that i've seen being recommended are the eheim 2222, 2213 canister filter for a 2ft tank, there are somemore out there but my knowledge is just this limited, still learning along the way

Cheers, im just sharing what ive learnt from the bros around here and passing on infomation that ive learnt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Easiest soil to cycle = benibachi. 3 days can put in commandos to test water. 2ft tank i think 9L will do. 1 eheim 2222 or 2224 will do the trick. If you really want, can get a pre filter or seperate hang on filter.

Personally, i'm running a 2222 with my chiller and a seperate small 2L canister filter. My soil is ADA 2 roughly 5.5 cm high.

No worries.. We all learn and help each other! Also wanna spread the poison! =)
    My nick is lizhien. But i'm not a girl. It's Li Zhi En. =) You can call me Cole too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lizhien View Post
    Easiest soil to cycle = benibachi. 3 days can put in commandos to test water. 2ft tank i think 9L will do. 1 eheim 2222 or 2224 will do the trick. If you really want, can get a pre filter or seperate hang on filter.

Personally, i'm running a 2222 with my chiller and a seperate small 2L canister filter. My soil is ADA 2 roughly 5.5 cm high.

No worries.. We all learn and help each other! Also wanna spread the poison! =)
    what type of benibachi soil is that..sorry noob only for the hobby?what is the easiest way to cycle the tank,do i need to put live bacteria on it..how to set up the substrate..thanks again

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

what chiller is compatible for eheim 2222,im trying to used lava rocks also,is this good or bad did it affect the parameters of the water?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Theres only one type of benibachi soil available now. You can get it at Green Chapter located in Clementi.
    There are people who added products to aid their cycling process to speed it up. Some uses fish food or any substitute for ammonia they can get hold of.
    Cant remember where i found the link for cycling.

Take a look at this website from Green Chapter, a simple introduction with illustration for setting up
    http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn_v.php...3&topic=1&ar=2

Unable to answer your chiller question. And yes, lava rocks do affect the parameters of the water, so its best you do some testing of the water paremeters in a bucket prior adding them into your main tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jianyuan View Post
    Theres only one type of benibachi soil available now. You can get it at Green Chapter located in Clementi.
    There are people who added products to aid their cycling process to speed it up. Some uses fish food or any substitute for ammonia they can get hold of.
    Cant remember where i found the link for cycling.
    ok im going to take note that..but how to test the stone..lets say if the stone affecting the parameters..what is the better media for filtration system?
    Take a look at this website from Green Chapter, a simple introduction with illustration for setting up
    http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn_v.php...3&topic=1&ar=2

Unable to answer your chiller question. And yes, lava rocks do affect the parameters of the water, so its best you do some testing of the water paremeters in a bucket prior adding them into your main tank.
    ok,im going to take note that..but how to check if the rock is do affecting the water parameters..and what is good media for canister filter..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Many people have difference preference for medias. Maybe you can do a search for it or try going through the equipment and accessories section. If you are using the Eheim series of canister filter, they should have medias provided along with it during purchase.
    Not sure if its correct, what i did was to get a bucket of water and test the parameter, then i add in the lava rock. Take the measurement again few days later to see if any of the parameters had been affected by the rock.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought about 8-10 shrimps and they just multiplied

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Starringme View Post
    I bought about 8-10 shrimps and they just multiplied
    what soil you are using and how many feet is your tank?