Country
    Singapore

Beginner needs advice on 3 feet tank low tech set up

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

Have been visiting this forum and been reading the interesting articles and posts from all the experienced bros here. A very informative site with many bros willing to share knowledge.

I have always wanted to set up an aquarium in my place but am afraid that I lack the knowledge to keep the fish alive. I have done some reading on the articles posted here as well as on other sites and have been reading the posts here also and feel that I am ready to take the plunge. I hope that bros here can give me their opinions on what I would like to set up in my home.

I would like to purchase a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft tank to put on my shoe cabinet which has been constructed for such a purpose by my ID. The aquarium serves as a separator or partition between the door and my hall. Therefore, the tank can be viewed from 3 different sides.

I would like it to be low tech and low maintenance planted tank which I plan to populate with easy, hardy plants: as for fish I thought that I would like to keep rummy noses, cardinal tetras or neon tetras.

The problem I encounter is this: I have read forums and visited the LFS but it does not seem to help me with the choices of the essentials such as filter, substrate and other essential equipment. So therefore I would like to ask the bros here for help. So here goes:

Project: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft low tech planted tank
    Flora: Ferns and crypts and some carpet plants to cover the substrate
    Fauna: Neon tetras, cardinal tetras, zebra danios or rummy noses + corys

1) Which external canister filter do you recommend for my set up? Recommended flow rate and brand? The thing is as the shoe cabinet is for shoes, I can't fit the filter inside the cabinet. I may have to put in on top of the cabinet beside my tank. The length of my cabinet is 4 feet, leaving me with 1 foot of space for the filter. Is this viable?

2) Which substrate & soil do you recommend for my set-up? I have been recommended Gex or ADA.

3) For my set-up, what is the recommended lighting requirement? Also, I plan to custom make my tank so i belive it does not come with a hood so do I have to buy the fixture for my lights are they easy to find? Also do I use PL or T5HO?

Sorry for the long post. I hope that bros out there can help this newbie with my queries as I would really like to learn and pick up things on my rookie journey in the world of planted tanks =)

Hope to here from you all soon!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner needs advice on 3 feet tank low tech set up

Before that, what is your budget?

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi and welcome to the hobby!

First of all, try double confirm that your Shoe rack is able to hold near 200kg of weight. You dont want it to just drop down or what.

Check the leveling of your shoe rack. Any difference in height between one end to another can be deadly. As the pressure on the lower side will be much more.

For 3, 1.5, 1.5 tank you can get the stock tanks, need not custom make.
    Fishy business, ans, BW and Ada all have this dimensions readily available, price range in ascending order. They are all either low iron glass or crystal glass

When you said low maintainence, do you intend to get a chiller and a co2 crylinder?

Soil wise, Ada have been the better IMO. as so far little negative feedbacks as compared to gex soil.

Filter wise, you mentioned that you would want to put beside your tank, it can be done. But more advisable to put below tank as canister need a low flow pressure of water to operate. Recommended brand would be ehiem. Model suitable you can try checking out 2217, 2026, 2028, 2036, 2226, 2228. Pro3 250, pro3 350. I listed almost all ehiem models suitable for 3 feet tanks for you so you can have a lookout in the market place of this forum if you do have limited budget. For specs, you can always google.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply bros!

@Starringme: My budget would not be in the expensive range; of course cheaper is better but I do not want cheap equipment that breaks down within 1 to 2 years.

@ZackZhou: Before my renovation, I told my contractor that the shoe cabinet would be used to hold up my fish tank so it should be able to withstand the weight. Is there any way for me to check that? Also, the cabinet is used to keep shoes, there are no holes for me to run the hose to and from the tank if im using an external filter. is an internal filter an option?

For that sized tank bro Zhou, any recommendations at which shop to look for tanks? I stay in the NE area.

I also thought of not getting a chiller or pump CO2; are they essential for the operations of the tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller is not a must, good to have if you have the budget. CO2 on the other hand is more important than chiller, go get it, it will make thing easier. They do have carbon source replacement like Seachem excel but for 3ft tank it may not be economical in the long run. Also it is not effective carbon source compare to gas CO2

External filter get Eheim 2217 or equivalent flowrate. Soil go for ADA. For light get maybe 2x39W.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Clausura View Post
    Thanks for the reply bros!

@Starringme: My budget would not be in the expensive range; of course cheaper is better but I do not want cheap equipment that breaks down within 1 to 2 years.

@ZackZhou: Before my renovation, I told my contractor that the shoe cabinet would be used to hold up my fish tank so it should be able to withstand the weight. Is there any way for me to check that? Also, the cabinet is used to keep shoes, there are no holes for me to run the hose to and from the tank if im using an external filter. is an internal filter an option?

For that sized tank bro Zhou, any recommendations at which shop to look for tanks? I stay in the NE area.

I also thought of not getting a chiller or pump CO2; are they essential for the operations of the tank?
    Ne area you can try n30 wee yang and fishy business Roger.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

(1) Volume calculation : 3ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft =~ 190 litres or 50 US gallons
    Weight as Brother Zack Zhou ~ 200 kg

Flowrate = volume x 20 times= 3800 litres/h
    (well, that's what some sites are now suggesting, if you don't like, you can use the older x5)

So you should be looking for something higher than that as the pump becomes less efficient as it age.

(2) For soil, the recommendations are good as they are easy to setup. Only play with underlayer organic soil and mineral soils if you are and gravel overlayer.
    You are probably aware that the compressed soli type will breakdown in about 2 years and you will need to re-build the tank.

(3) Depends on your plants. I use this site to determine what type of lighting is required for the plants.
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nder/index.php

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, thanks for all your input and replies. Really appreciate it.

Another question if I may:

Is it possible to have a "fern-only" planted tank?

I am looking at it this way, I plant the whole tank heavily with Java Fern such that it becomes a Java fern jungle as I have seen in some peoples' tank photos, I can do away with the Gex or ADA substrate. Am I correct to say that?

But I have read that it is quite a slow growing plant and algae might gain a foothold in the tank so it is good to have fast-growing plants in the tank so algae doesn't become a PR in the tank.

Bros have any comments?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, thanks for all your input and replies. Really appreciate it.

Another question if I may:

Is it possible to have a "fern-only" planted tank?

I am looking at it this way, I plant the whole tank heavily with Java Fern such that it becomes a Java fern jungle as I have seen in some peoples' tank photos, I can do away with the Gex or ADA substrate. Am I correct to say that?

But I have read that it is quite a slow growing plant and algae might gain a foothold in the tank so it is good to have fast-growing plants in the tank so algae doesn't become a PR in the tank.

Bros have any comments?
    You can always standby an algae cleanup crew staff with
    - Oto
    - SAE (the Siamese, see other sites for how to correctly identify the Siamese version)
    - pond snails, nerite snails and ramshorn snails

Between all of the them, they should take care of most varieties of algae.
    - I am only short of SAE because they are too large for my 2 feet tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes you can have fern only tank. There any many variety that you can combine together and make beautiful scape.

Yes you can do away without the soil but I will encourage you to have CO2 injection and liquid fert. It does not matter if there is a fast growing plant in your tank or not, algae will still come to visit if your plant not healthy. You will be surprise that it does not take much for algae to grow.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score

What you're trying to achieve sounds exactly like what I had for 4 years. Mine was a low light non CO2 corydoras focused tank(with some other species like pencil/tetras).

I used a simple OHF with 2 x 18w light, simple river sand(as cories loves to dig in the substrate), tons of driftwood with anubias nanas(various species), Java Fern, Windelov, narrow leaf Java Fern tied to them. Not much maintenance required, I mainly top up water lost due to evaporation on a weekly basis with aged water, and perform a 30% water change once every 2 months. The simple maintenance routine went on for 4 years till it was decommed. It was easy work, and I believed my fishes loved it, the plants flourish and many species of my fishes(no livebearers) spawn now and then that I had to give away free fishes.

In a setup like this I would recommend that you plant heavily initially though, such plants take ages to grow and spread, and if you tie sparsely believing they will fill out well, you'll spend a long time waiting for it to happen. I would advice the main thing you have to think through is what fauna and flora you wanna have, and plan everything else accordingly to that and you shouldn't have problem keeping all your plants and fishes, and yourself happy.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    What you're trying to achieve sounds exactly like what I had for 4 years. Mine was a low light non CO2 corydoras focused tank(with some other species like pencil/tetras).

I used a simple OHF with 2 x 18w light, simple river sand(as cories loves to dig in the substrate), tons of driftwood with anubias nanas(various species), Java Fern, Windelov, narrow leaf Java Fern tied to them. Not much maintenance required, I mainly top up water lost due to evaporation on a weekly basis with aged water, and perform a 30% water change once every 2 months. The simple maintenance routine went on for 4 years till it was decommed. It was easy work, and I believed my fishes loved it, the plants flourish and many species of my fishes(no livebearers) spawn now and then that I had to give away free fishes.

In a setup like this I would recommend that you plant heavily initially though, such plants take ages to grow and spread, and if you tie sparsely believing they will fill out well, you'll spend a long time waiting for it to happen. I would advice the main thing you have to think through is what fauna and flora you wanna have, and plan everything else accordingly to that and you shouldn't have problem keeping all your plants and fishes, and yourself happy.

Good luck!
    Yup that's exactly what I am trying to achieve on my own. My friend keeps asking me to get the professionals to do them up for me and just enjoy it but I believe that you will learn more and get to enjoy the tank more if you did it yourself. All your input is very valuable and thank you for sharing. I may just start a journal of my tank in this forum so that bros may still share with me some tips that they may want to share!

Looking at my shoe cabinet, I may have to remove some shelving to include the external filter in the shoe cabinet and I may have to drill an access hole behind the cabinet so the hoses and power cables can access the tank and power point.

For my tank, I am looking at driftwood with Java Ferns, Java Moss and anubias. Subtrate will be river sand. No CO2 unless i learn to do it home-made. Will just keep the flora first for a few weeks before i include the fauna.

Will be getting the tank soon. Very exciting =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bros, another question.
    Bro ZackZhou has recommended me Ehiem filters and I have checked the specs.

Bro limwsv recommended a flowrate of 3800l/h following new recommendations or 950l/h following old school recommendations.

My question is, should I just get 1 filter or get 2 filters to achieve the recommended flow rate and better water circulation or get 1 filter + powerhead?

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    My take: one pro3 450 or 550 with flowrate of 1200l/hour will do the job, considering your tank specs. And your limited space.
    Addition of co2 will be fun, they come in all sizes as well
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
    My take: one pro3 450 or 550 with flowrate of 1200l/hour will do the job, considering your tank specs. And your limited space.
    Addition of co2 will be fun, they come in all sizes as well
    @ZackZhou, I was searching online for the Ehiem filters you mentioned but I can't seem to find the model Pro3 450 or 550. They only have 2071. 2073, 2075 and 2080.

Is the model that you are recommending the 2075 with an output of 1250l/h?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bros, i have measured my shoerack counter top and it is 4 ft long and 1.5 ft wide. One of sides is attached to my wall, width-wise. Below are some pictures of it.

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=Photo1.jpg
    http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...t=Photo1-1.jpg

Should i consider getting a 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank to totally cover my counter top, which is more aesthetically pleasing, or keep with my 3ft tank?

Also, for the 4ft tank, which eheim filter should i get?

Thank you for being patient with this noob...
    Last edited by Clausura; 24th Jul 2011 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, do let us know what are you intending to keep in terms of livestocks. If it's just java ferns mainly, you can actually customize an overflow system. Take a 4 feet tank, use 1 feet for the overflow, inside you can put all your media and a pump in. Lastly, cover the overflow section with black oyama paper.

By doing this, on your shoe rack you will see thats it's all filled up, you don't have to try figure out the space for the external canister, more space to store your shoes!
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro Zackzhou, i plan to keep small shoaling fishes like neon tetras, rummy noses or rasboras and sone bottom dwellers like corys.

If the overflow system is easily set up, I wouldnt mind giving it a try. Seems like a very good solution! =)

Do i need to custom-make the tank for the overflow system?

And is it low-maintenance? Any problems with water circulation?

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro Zackzhou, i plan to keep small shoaling fishes like neon tetras, rummy noses or rasboras and sone bottom dwellers like corys.

If the overflow system is easily set up, I wouldnt mind giving it a try. Seems like a very good solution! =)

Do i need to custom-make the tank for the overflow system?

And is it low-maintenance? Any problems with water circulation?
    /Yes, the tank needs to be custom made. need not worry as maintence is much easier than cannister.
    to customise the tank, there are ways to do it depending on your budget, one easier way is just to ask to be custom made the way you want it together with the 4 feet. another way to save a bit of cost is to buy 1 second hand 4 feet tank from this forum, then buy glass/acrylic partitions to partition out the overflow system.

If you make up your mind, i dont mind helping you a bit on the overflow part. heeheehee.
    water circulation wise will be the same as using a cannister.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro Zack, I wouldn't mind the help at all if I am not imposing on you. Can I PM you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast