15 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Changing soil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all bros. I just wanna know how to change the soil in a shrimp tank. I mean the proper way. I am currently having a 2 ft tank and keeping SS and SSS grade. Please advice. Thanx.
    1) A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.
    2) Men and fishes are alike. They get into trouble once they open their mouth.
    3) Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish n he'll go broke. Give him a boat and you'll get rid of him for the weekend.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Changing soil

Last time method will be topping up soil bit by bit. Some will even set up tempory tank to house their shrimp.

You can even try cycle the soil in a pail before major changing of your main tank.

If not, ask a friend to house your shrimps first for a month and you can cycle the tank again.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Top up soil bit by bit? Meaning i fill in a bit and take out a bit?
    Cycle soil in a pail. Meaning fill up soil with water and after that put inside the tank? Do i hv to take out everything from the tank eg, shrimp, plants etc?
    3) Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish n he'll go broke. Give him a boat and you'll get rid of him for the weekend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think if you want to play it safe, get a backup tank. Maybe those cheap plastic ones...

Transfer most water and some soil over from the main tank to backup tank, than keep the backup tank as you would the main tank (same filter, same light, same food, etc). So essentially its a mini main tank.

After that you can do whatever you want to your main tank (take out all your soil/plants, put in your new soil etc), cycle the tank, than you can slowly introduce your backup tank into the main tank.

2 cents....

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok got. Thamx bro. Errr do i still need to put the chiller also?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1 more thing. How long do i need to cycle the water?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fariez View Post
    Ok got. Thamx bro. Errr do i still need to put the chiller also?
    It would depend on your surrounding temperature as CRS would be fine with around 25 degree.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fariez View Post
    1 more thing. How long do i need to cycle the water?
    Depending on the soil you using. If you are using those Ada aquasoil. It would take up to 1-2 month for the whole cycle to complete. Make sure your Ammonia, nitrite are "0" and 0-15ppm of nitrate is fine though.