Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: how and what to feed hatchet fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

how and what to feed hatchet fish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As above. They don't seem to take blood worms, tetrabits nor tetra flakes. The blood worms and flakes were delibrately placed to be floating, but they were still uninterested.

Anyone with experience, please share...
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    May be they are stress.It will be less stress for them(6 nos) in group.
    Basically, they eat dry food,blood worm and even small live insect that I found in my house.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a group of 20, 4 different type. They take any thing that floats on the water surface. Once they are used to the food , they will hit it eagerly. I feed my with TetraBits.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/25/2003 7:52:06 PM

I have a group of 20, 4 different type. They take any thing that floats on the water surface. Once they are used to the food , they will hit it eagerly. I feed my with TetraBits.
    ----------------

What are the four types of Hatchet fish you have? Where did you buy them?
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think they are seasonal, brought from TB. They are, Thoracocharax stellatus - Silver Hatchet, Carnegiella strigata strigata - Marble Hatchet ,
    Carnegiella marthae - Dwarf Marble Hatchet and Gasteropelecus sternicla - Black-lined silver Hatchet.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I only know of the first two types. Hatchet fish is one of those that I'll be getting.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine prefer to feed on flakes from Tetra. Both the normal ones as well as the color enhancing ones. Blood worm is ok, but not that attractive to them either. Actually, they only feed off the surface and nowhere else.

I also have 4 types at the moment, use to be about 80 of them, but now there's only about 10 to 15 left. Used to have 2 types of marble hatchet, 2 types of black wing hatchet and the pygmy hatchet as well. I don't really like the silver hatchetfish.

Interesting fishes these are, but care must be taken to ensure they are healthy. Besides being fussy eaters, they are also prone to white spots and fin rot. And they love to jump out of the tanks too!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup they love to jump, i bought every pc from CS and now i'm left with like a few, they jump one by one by the day.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Look like I have to take pre-caution and cover the tank with netting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to share some interesting fact I seen on National Geographic. Hachet fish actually jumps to escape being prey. When a predator corners the school of hachet fish, and there is seemingly no routes for escape, the school of hachet fish takes to the air in unison and this action is usually successful in detering the predator.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hat.. fish feed on dry food too, think your hat fishes is under stress! let them put on a hat then..heehee, if stress better don feed if not it will cloud the water and make it even worse.
    hatchet do jump and fly! they sometimes jump n fly from california to canada... heehee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I know this thread is already a few days old. Just to share my experience with hatchets, they are one of my favourites. Hatchets normally refuse to eat when first introduced into the tank, give them a shady corner and leave them alone, they will be okay after about 1 week+, after which they will be eating anything that lies on the surface. I used to feed them anything including ants (note: black ones only) and fruit flies...etc as I read that they feed mainly on insects in the wild.

Cheers
    H Y

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Red ants cannot?