Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hair Grass..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, after a week my hair grass doesn't seem to grow and turning yellow or melting, was thinking should i change to try HC..
    i'm having low tech using 14w x 2 T5 lights, dosing flourish excel when light on by timer, on about 6 hours during day and back home on about 2-3 hours..
    any advise of changing foreground.?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hair Grass..

Suggestion.

Use a tank CO2
    More lights if it's a 2ft tank. Maybe at least 2.5wpg
    What soil you using?
    Plant them in about 3 at one go and not the whole stuff. Spread them out nicely.
    If they start to develop shoots, trim off the long one to promote growth.
    Use the EI index, NPK dosing.
    About 9 hours of lighting at the beginning with separation of 4.5hrs on and 3-4 hrs off then again on for 4.5hrs. Plant need at least 4 hour duration to perform photosysnesis.
    Water change 10-20% once a week to drain off excess nutrition.

Hope this help.
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Peanut8787,
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for late replied. i change to HC, my tank is 40cm(w). using 14w x 2 T5 tube, i dose flourish excel, on light same as hairglass.. but still HC is growing slow..

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro hc is much harder to grow compare to hair grass... Maybe you want to try glosso...
    Good fish ain't cheap... Cheap fish ain't gd...

Breeding Apisto inca and Apisto guttata...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apistoinka,
    Thanks, will try get some.. but my hc still growing green some part is spreading but some like growing tall, it's just growing very slow..
    oops is it out of the topic of hair grass.?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Paraguay

Hi mo sheng ren, since it's a topic of hairgrass hope you don't mind me using your thread to pose some question about hairgrass.

I have planted my hair grass in small clumps 1cm to 2cm apart. It still doesn't spread and recently it starts to turn brown and I have an outbreak of brown brush algae only on the hairgrass.
    My other plants mainly stems, ferns and anubias are all doing great and pearling even.
    The anubia plant although a slow grower I can still see the rhizomes and roots spreading.
    I am on a 3ft tank, using aquarium soil and aquarium sand mixed.
    Temperature between 27-29
    Filter 2026 pro2 and ecco pro2
    Lights 2x39watts T5 for 8hrs & 1x18watts T8 5hrs mid day.
    Co2 approximately 3 bps. Starts 2 hrs before lights on and ends 1 1/2 hrs before lights out.

Fauna I have
    50 tetras mix of neon,rummy nose,cardinal and penguin
    4 corys
    5 otos
    2 assassin snails

Can kindly direct me where I'm going wrong with the hairgrass. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fusiller, no worry. i'm okie, this can minimum the same post. hope you got your answer.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fusiller View Post

I have planted my hair grass in small clumps 1cm to 2cm apart. It still doesn't spread and recently it starts to turn brown and I have an outbreak of brown brush algae only on the hairgrass.
    My other plants mainly stems, ferns and anubias are all doing great and pearling even.
    The anubia plant although a slow grower I can still see the rhizomes and roots spreading.
    Co2 approximately 3 bps. Starts 2 hrs before lights on and ends 1 1/2 hrs before lights out.

Fauna I have
    50 tetras mix of neon,rummy nose,cardinal and penguin
    4 corys
    My tank parameter for example.

3X1.5x1.5
    Lighting: 6 X 39 watt T5HO 11 hours with 4 hours spilt. Which equals to about 5.2wpg *I'm a high lighting lover but high lighting will also require high fert dosage.
    C02 @ 4-5 bps via UP atomizer. On/Off same timing. You need to be very careful with your current method as it will stress your fauna if you do not handle it well. I on my light/Co2 at the same timing and given the big BPS, Co2 will release about 1min.
    Temp: 25C
    Substrate: Borneo wild all base substrate, ADA aqua soil + borneo wild soil

I would suggest you adding some fert as you did not state anything about fert dosage.
    If you not going to use EI method then you may go for macro + micro, add in additionally excel/easypro carbo. Well, you may go for those branded ADA if you are alright with the pricing but i see no point as EI method can save you quite alot and maybe just add in a few kind of other brands fert to go with.

Tips
    Add NPK wisely.
    N - Nitrogen (Seachem)
    P - Phosphorus (Seachem) But since you have enough fauna so i don't see the need to add any P.
    K - Potassium (Seachem) or those powder form which Y618 is having now.

And remove the cory, they are know to dig any soil. Once you have cultivated your HG, then you may add in but if i i wouldn't want to add in any cory. And trim your HG when it's growing long to promote grow. Once it spread, it will grow like wild fire..

Cheers
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hey peanut, may i know the reason for separating the lighting hours? What's wrong or not good with keeping the lights on for longer periods?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shyta View Post
    hey peanut, may i know the reason for separating the lighting hours? What's wrong or not good with keeping the lights on for longer periods?
    Maybe for myself, I would like to give the plant a rest *siesta and also to avoid algae problem as I am using such high lighting. Additionally lighting and fert can encourage plant growth faster. You tank will be beautiful but your monthly bill wouldn't be happy. Hehe

1) On the light for such long period may occur algae if you doesn't take care of your water fert dosing/parameter
    2) If you are those who likes to see your plant pearling every hour then you can on it continuously but what's the point when the plants are pearling and your tank are filled with algae?
    3) If you want to use the separate timing for light, do make sure that you on it for at least 4 hours as plant need the least of 4 hours to perform photosysnesis.

Maybe some planted tank guru can share more with us.

Cheers
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fusiller View Post
    Hi mo sheng ren, since it's a topic of hairgrass hope you don't mind me using your thread to pose some question about hairgrass.

fusiller, everything you mentioned looks right except for the temperature. Try to get it down to 26-27 with a fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My hair grass is growing super slowly too. Other plants in the same tank is growing like mad.