Country
    Singapore

Lets talk about DSM testing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Who tried DSM without covering with cling warp.
    Currently i am trying after seeing how they do in my outside pots.
    (actually i cannot believe they grow nicely but creep slow.)

People want to share their experiences?
    I will post pictures at a later time tonight.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lets talk about DSM testing

Heehee, currently trying hc on a 2 feet.
    IMO, I think moisture does matters but usually the prescence of fungus is because of lack of air circulation(covered in wrap) and high temp(green house effect).
    Zack

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Zack, i have a small section of my 2nd try HC have fungus.
    give me 10 minute to upload the pictures, i find it amazing how well HC can do in that pot and container.

btw, what do my foreign colleagues from cold countries say when they come? Hey felix, why is SNG so HOT & Humid? (LOL)

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMG_0406.jpg
    HC.
    this is the small pot from supermarket (and my CP beside it )

IMG_0407.jpg

HC+glosso
    This is the experiment, glosso out grew HC but the least HC is growing at a good speed (not as fast as high tech, hi light/high co2 setups)

Do farms grow their plant same way but on filter wool?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is DSM testing?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blurless View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is DSM testing?
    Bro - it's "dry start method". You should visit our Plant expert (Tom Barr aka "Plantbrain") site for all the background and more!

I have had success with non-covered HC + Jap Hairgrass indoors and outdoors respectively.
    HC indoors (3ft):

HC + Jap HairGrass outdoors (1.5ft, not in direct sun though - JapHG not planted in background yet):

The "trick" is to ensure that the substrate is always moist/does not dry out. Managed to grow them even at the back of tank where the slope is higher and hence no way to keep wet without submerging the front..

Algae/Fungus can be controlled somewhat with proper care/maintenance. I've actually purchased HC grown emersed in soil. (outdoors, but with netting to reduce/shade from direct sunlight)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with neverwalkalone that the state of the substrate (moist/dry) is of utmost importance. It requires consistency as well during the duration of DSM. From personal experience, when I had bouts of fungus, I tried to take off the cling wrap to let my tank dry out a little. While that got rid of most of the fungus, it also resulted in some roots drying out. Consequently, most of my HC had a large clump of brown(dead?) roots which made them rather weak. So just be extra careful about maintaining the water level where it should be!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi , what is the recommended time for lights on ?
    I'm starting my DSM on HC , place my tank in aircon room , temp ard 23 deg . covering with cling wrap.
    ADA Amz II.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nightscent View Post
    I agree with neverwalkalone that the state of the substrate (moist/dry) is of utmost importance. It requires consistency as well during the duration of DSM. From personal experience, when I had bouts of fungus, I tried to take off the cling wrap to let my tank dry out a little. While that got rid of most of the fungus, it also resulted in some roots drying out. Consequently, most of my HC had a large clump of brown(dead?) roots which made them rather weak. So just be extra careful about maintaining the water level where it should be!
    I'm on same thinking too. And how you guys plant. I took small group then just root them and also tried a larger and just left them on directly on substrate. ( I did that on the potted one outside). Didn't yield good enough result.

Should I weed out 1 root section, 1 by 1 like I do with glosso before planting? Talk to Eviltrain on his 2footer serene, he did weed out like that. To cover it on 3 feet would be back breaking

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I plant them in small "clumps" just as demonstrated in the video (see sticky in this forum on planting HCs). Have actually done some of it 'strand by strand' but only because these were from excess from one side moving over to another. Key was to ensure that the roots, whether in small clusters or by strands should be buried into the substrate. Otherwise, they will dry out and die.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

most of my clumps didn't make it. HC needs much more care in DSM then glosso.
    Harder to plant then glosso too.

1st attempt didn't work mostly died.
    2nd attempt still have not gotten good enough results, but it's still growing.

I actually know 1 problem but lazy to do anything now, my T5 are way, way over the 9mth. should be not producing good spectrum any more. (maybe that is the cause, outdoor pots have the sun 10 year still as strong)

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

When you plant these outdoors, won't the temperature get higher than what is normal for aquatic environment? HC is said to thrive at lower temperature (~25 degrees C ?), and Glosso too?

Seeing this makes me think if I can use the same method to make a terrarium too...
    Last edited by blurless; 23rd Aug 2011 at 13:23. Reason: Typo correction

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

try this method after planting the HC.

Put a 500ml ice bottle inside the tank to keep the temperature low to prevent fungus growth and keep the humidity high will help. T5 lightset will heat up the inside of the tank very fast during lights on.

as for the soil, use bigger grain as base and a layer of powder/ finer grains on top. this actually enable the HC to root well.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When you plant these outdoors, won't the temperature get higher than what is normal for aquatic environment? HC is said to thrive at lower temperature (~25 degrees C ?), and Glosso too?

Seeing this makes me think if I can use the same method to make a terrarium too...
    Sunlight is very strong, hc high demand plant.
    Emerse conditions are differ from submerse. Thus the leaf look different from planting them submerged.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post

Put a 500ml ice bottle inside the tank to keep the temperature low to prevent fungus growth and keep the humidity high will help. T5 lightset will heat up the inside of the tank very fast during lights on.

as for the soil, use bigger grain as base and a layer of powder/ finer grains on top. this actually enable the HC to root well.
    Hmmm...this is assuming that DSM is being conducted indoor. Will it work for outdoor too?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My t5 is very old haha. Only realized yesterday when my IQ3 light died.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

for outdoor you can try using those Japanese gel type icepack. they last longer and and able to keep the inside of your tank cool.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm...this is assuming that DSM is being conducted indoor. Will it work for outdoor too?
    Don't cling warp, will be TOO humid.
    Look at my 2nd picture. the one where HC is mixed with glosso, it is Dry start.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

gel pack @ Daiso.
    Cost $2... i have 3 at home to cool my drinks.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

for outdoor you can try using those Japanese gel type icepack. they last longer and and able to keep the inside of your tank cool.
    I finally surrender and change 2 of my 4 t5 tubes...
    Can see from naked eye the spectrum diffreance.

Reason, the HC outside the house grow faster emerse... WTH ... i later whatapp you...

Semi-Active currently

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast