Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Experience with Amazonia and Corys?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Experience with Amazonia and Corys?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, has anyone kept corys with ADA Amazonia (1 or 2) [or even GEX] as substrate? Heard that corys likes to burrow into the soil and mess up the scape/clearness of the tank..So will they uproot plants as well? or is sand a must for them? Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Experience with Amazonia and Corys?

I do not think sand is a must for them. Its not like they will die without them. Just that i feel corys feels more comfortable with sand beneath them. From my experience, they do try to search for food in the sand but not to the point of messing up the scape / clearness of the tank. I have only kept cories in sand and not soil ~

IMO, i do not think they will uproot your plants easily unless its very shallowly planted such that a nudge will cause it to uproot

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This really depends on the species of cory you keeping.You will not get any issues with the dwarf species irregardless in sand or any other substrate.With bigger species like sterbais,lasers etc...they do leave quite an impression especially since they're skittish.Everytime the bigger corydoras get startled and dart around the tank they cause quite massive substrate/sand movements.so do take note.

Morphophilia : The smaller the fish, the lovelier...i'm kinky like that

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sianxz View Post
    I do not think sand is a must for them. Its not like they will die without them. Just that i feel corys feels more comfortable with sand beneath them. From my experience, they do try to search for food in the sand but not to the point of messing up the scape / clearness of the tank. I have only kept cories in sand and not soil ~

IMO, i do not think they will uproot your plants easily unless its very shallowly planted such that a nudge will cause it to uproot
    Hi sianxz, glad to know that they not only need sand. But I'm worried that when they dig at soil, they are going to injure their barbels. And also glad to know that they can't uproot plants

Quote Originally Posted by aquanatix View Post
    This really depends on the species of cory you keeping.You will not get any issues with the dwarf species irregardless in sand or any other substrate.With bigger species like sterbais,lasers etc...they do leave quite an impression especially since they're skittish.Everytime the bigger corydoras get startled and dart around the tank they cause quite massive substrate/sand movements.so do take note.
    Hi aquanatix, I was thinking of getting sterbai/panda so thanks for the heads up!