Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mini riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am trying to find some mini riccia to grow insted of the normal riccia but I cannot find much information on it. Is it much slower growing than normal riccia? Does it pearl? and finally, is there any shop that sells it?

Cheers, Michele

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes you are right, its much slower in growth. it grows in layers and its definitely much nicer and easier to manage than normal riccia. Trimming is still necessary as once the layers get more, the buoyancy will lift the mass off the rocks you tied on. You might want to try Colourful Aquarium to acquire them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Mini riccia

Thank you! I went to Colourful Aquarium 2 weeks ago but mini riccia was not available, I will try again next week

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you are welcome, do you need a lot of mini riccia? if you are just testing out the plant i trim a bit for you free to try. You actually do not need a lot, under same conditions like riccia it will grow quite a bit. its growth rate half of normal riccia speed

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Half of normal riccia's rate is still quite fast right? So advice is to tie it to something really heavy???

My normal riccia gotten so thick that I got rid of it as it is floating off the driftwood I tied it to...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi densagoku,
    Thank you very much, I would just like to try it I don't need much

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blurless View Post
    Half of normal riccia's rate is still quite fast right? So advice is to tie it to something really heavy???

My normal riccia gotten so thick that I got rid of it as it is floating off the driftwood I tied it to...
    half is just my personal estimation, depends on individual visual, tying to an object heavy or light does not matter, like i mention, it needs to be trim down to lighten the mass. once heavy and due to riccia vertical growth nature the buoancy is much greater as it searches for light. it gets worse when a large mass is doing this action thats why it will rip off from its base no matter how tight you tie to a heavy object.
    Mini riccia too has to trimmed but its a layer horizontal growth nature, so trim to your desired shape like circle, triangle, square as you wish.
    Eventually it all depends on what you like to achieve in your aquascape. Both are still managable, if you got rosette plant runners going through them then it lessens the uprooting effect.
    All are just my humble views, you might want to search for more advanced views from the residents here. I am no plant farmer myself. Cheers :-)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hi densagoku,
    Thank you very much, I would just like to try it I don't need much
    Most welcome, I do not know how much you need but i am no plant farmer ,i was just looking at 2 50cents coin size, hope its enough for you. Sorry to disappoint you if you are looking for a mesh size, i do not have that amount at this present of time. i threw away most of the time. PM me your contacts if you do not want to display here in the forum. i see how to best pass it to you or other alternatives.
    Do you need it urgently??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't mind if I ask in this thread. i have Riccia wrapped down onto my lava rocks with netting, hole sizes approx half a cm. Is there still a possibility of the riccia lifting off from the lava rocks through the netting? I would like to try mini riccia as well, but so far have been unable to find any in those LFS near my place in Sengkang. Anyone knows where I can find a ready supply around this area? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes possible. Normally it grow too dense and the bellow part, the one wrapped by net, does not get any light at start to rot. Once rot the whole thing will float.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ahhhh. Thanks for the reply.